Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012

mistyg is on a distinguished road
Pearson 10M water/shower job

Project........fairly handy..is replacing all the the water systems a huge deal? The tanks are fine. Sinks and toliet need replacing anyway. Is a warm shower possible?

Oil stained sole..rip out or treat? Im not sure the small will go away. Oh ya the leaky tank has been addressed.

Jeff..Mistyg Grey 10M Pearson 1976 with a Farymann
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Usually the major difficulty with such projects is the access to both remove the old and reinstall the new - some of which will depend on what you choose to use as replacement.

Our boat was replumbed by the PO in "Pex"(?) with the push-lock removable fittings and it's worked out quite well - but this material is fairly stiff and may not snake easily into tight or confined or multi-bend paths easily. Make sure you choose a product that is rated for potable water.

Warm/Hot water is a possibility if you have FW cooling, but is a bit costly with reworking your cooling system and buying the HW heater/tank. Instant HW units are available but generally frowned upon by insurance companies, and they tend to take up more valuable space in the relatively confined head... Even though we have HW on board we virtually never shower below - we use sun showers on deck in the summer and usually shore facilities in the off season.

Beyond the physical access this is no more difficult than replumbing at home.

The old/stained/smelly cabin sole - I'd say rip it out and replace it with something new for best results. Lots of options here but try to avoid choosing carpet.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

mistyg is on a distinguished road
Thanks. We are on a mooring a shower would be a poular add. The existing HW tank is shot rusted out. I like the sun shower idea.

Jeff
Old 01-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyg View Post
Thanks. We are on a mooring a shower would be a poular add. The existing HW tank is shot rusted out. I like the sun shower idea.

Jeff
If you're on a mooring and you want a proper shower, it's always possible to leave the sun/solar shower on deck and run the nozzle down the head hatch.. you'll have privacy.

I'm generally 'anti-shower-below' just because it's hard enough to battle the moisture and humidity issues without adding to them intentionally. Some years back we even cobbled up a 'surround' to hoist on a halyard so that we could properly (sans swimsuit) shower on deck - a couple of shower curtains hung on a 'cage' made out of hula hoops! After a while it wasn't worth the hassle of setting up and storing.

btw we've had great success (and longevity) with these ones from "Advanced Elements"

Amazon.com: Summer Shower 5: Sports & Outdoors

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2012
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
Pearson 10M water/shower job

Did you get your 10m replumbed? I have run all new hoses on my 10m, but with the port hose from tank to tank selector that disappears beneath the nav station, I gave up with the snake and ran the hoses through the bilge which made it easy.

If you once had a hot water tank, it isn't that hard to install a new one was yours to port I'd the engine, in the space between the quarter berth and the engine cover or in the starboard locker. I think the starboard cockpit locker makes more sense.

Put some pickup somewhere if you have done it. Both Graham Bryan and one other have been 10m gurus. They are always helpful.

Lots of pics available. What hull number is your 10m.

Mike graham
Bali Hai, 10M Hull 14