Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2012

ra3don is on a distinguished road
I went ahead and bought the kindle version of the book! $8 -- not bad. Thanks for the recommandation PorFin and Rich.

Never sailed once, however have done lots of reading on the subject... Maybe I can bribe with a few more beers for some sailing lessons.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
That's a good boat and should be more than sturdy for that lake your on....Enjoy her!
Old 02-14-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
I bought a Pearson 27 this winter as my first boat and am very happy with it so far. I was checking out some pics of the Pearson 30' on Sailing Texas and ran across the boat you are looking at I believe. The price listed is lower though...
Pearson 30, 1974, Guntesville, Alabama, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas
Old 02-14-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
An outboard on a boat this big will be a very unsatisfactory solution. While you may be able to come and go from a moorring, you will not be able to maneuver the boat near a dock, as the engine cannot be used alone. Plus as mentioned, the engine may be useless in a seaway.

With no engine, this boat is worth nothing. It'll cost you $4-5000 to put a new A4 in her, you can buy a P30 with a running engine for $5000 or so. Buy a boat that you can use, especially a first boat. If you do buy this boat, don't go over $1000, the seller will grab that and run.

Get a survey to find out what is wrong with the boat that you can't see. Otherwise, you will find out what's wrong with it the hard way, for example when it sinks under you and your family...
Old 02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
An outboard on a boat this big will be a very unsatisfactory solution. While you may be able to come and go from a moorring, you will not be able to maneuver the boat near a dock, as the engine cannot be used alone. Plus as mentioned, the engine may be useless in a seaway.
Can you elaborate more on this? It is something I was afraid of, but I've already got a 9.9 outboard to go on it, and I'm thinking I can hook up the remote throttle lever (what's the term for these?) so that it can be controlled from the wheel.
Old 02-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
I bought a Pearson 27 this winter as my first boat and am very happy with it so far. I was checking out some pics of the Pearson 30' on Sailing Texas and ran across the boat you are looking at I believe. The price listed is lower though...
Pearson 30, 1974, Guntesville, Alabama, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas
Yeah, the guy who owned it then was trying to dump it for dirt cheap because form what I understand he had to leave town. The guy who has it now is trying to turn a little profit on it.
Old 02-15-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra3don View Post
Can you elaborate more on this? It is something I was afraid of, but I've already got a 9.9 outboard to go on it, and I'm thinking I can hook up the remote throttle lever (what's the term for these?) so that it can be controlled from the wheel.
When your boat has way on, you can steer with the rudder based on the water flow past the rudder. When the boat has stopped, your primary means of turning the boat is by prop wash and right or left rudder...the stern moves opposite that direction. With a propeller located behind the rudder, you cannot generate prop wash...thus you lose this control technique. Many small boats that operate with an outboard are set up so the helmsman can reach over the stern and steer by turning the outboard, which provides excellent, if awkward, control over the boat. With a larger boat like a P30, you can't really reach the outboard.

If you really want to go with this boat, bite the bullet, sell the outboard, and spend the money to put an A4 back in...you will enjoy the boat more as it will not be a half-a$$ed patchup, and you'll get half or more of your cost back when you sell.

Just don't offer the current seller too much, with no engine that boat is worth very little, even assuming it doesn't have other issues which impact it potential value.

Also see:
Outboard on a P30
Pearson 31 inboard or outboard

Last edited by sailingfool; 02-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra3don View Post
Yeah, the guy who owned it then was trying to dump it for dirt cheap because form what I understand he had to leave town. The guy who has it now is trying to turn a little profit on it.
Ra3don,

Maybe it's just me, but I'm starting to see a few red flags here -- the guy you are buying from has no real knowledge of the vessel, and as you state is now trying to flip it for a profit. Not exactly someone to whom I'd give my full trust right out of the gate. Some of the answers he's given you seem pretty non-committal, as in "should be good," "I think are OK," etc. Perhaps I'm misremembering your previous answers, but at this point I'd be very wary.

The guy who dumped it first may or may not have done so for the reasons stated, and this could be a pig in a poke.
Old 02-15-2012

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. It has been a great help. I went back today and went through the boat with a fine tooth comb. I will document my findings below in hopes to receive feedback and help out future Pearson 30' purchasers.

First up is the stancheon bases that RichH suggested. They appear to have been leaking once before as an owner has tried to seal it up.

Another mount base. It appears this has a stress fracture? Doesn't look too serious to me

I wasn't able to get a good shot of it, but the compression board fix that RichH pointed out looks like it might have been fixed. The bilge is full to the brim so it appears to still be soaking into the compression post

There appears to be an issue with the top corner of the boat rotting away from the bumper. This looks pretty serious, is this an expensive/difficult repair? I added an image below to clarify where this is.

It also appears to have some leaking on the inside in this same location

It is hard to see but the wallpaper is peeling off and it was damp.

This is from the topside of the boat, looking down where the rope for the anchor is being kept. The wood around this ring is exposed and was damp. Also thinking this could be an issue.

I am beginning to reconsider my thoughts on this boat...
Old 02-15-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Yep, those problems plus the no engine issue = walk away. At least that is my recommendation. There are many good boats out there to be had for a great price in this market. As inland lake sailors we don't have as many choices as the costal sailors, but I think you can find better.

Just food for thought when shopping for a boat: is your hobby going to be boat repairing or sailing? Even boats in great condition require a lot of care. I am finding this out quickly as a first time sailboat owner.