Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012

klshoreguy is on a distinguished road
Pearson 26 bulkhead delamination

Was just about to close on a 1976 Pearson 26 even though I discovered it needed a new rudder shaft and bushings. However, what stopped me dead was when I lifted the port side settee cushions to inspect the storage underneath when I could see the fiberglass pulling away from what looked liked a cored Bulkhead? AHHHH!....What would it take to have someone repair it or is it something I could do myself as I can be pretty handy with a good set of instructions. Hate to lose her, but this scared me away. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks

Trying to find that first sailboat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Pearson 26 bulkhead delamination

If this is NOT the main bulkhead then the problem is minor and the bulkhead is easily to replace and re-tabbed in with filled epoxy and cloth. Just angle-grinder away all the years accumulation of paint and other debris and 'rebuild'.

HOWEVER if this is the main bulkhead ... the 'compression post' and main bulkhead are INTEGRAL then you might have second thoughts about the boat, especially if the bulkhead has shifted ..... and the 'head door' does not close without binding !!!!!!!!
If the main bulkhead has shifted, the companionway door hardware (door passageway knob, etc.) will no longer 'match-up'. What happens to the compression post/bulkhead combo is .... When Pearson installed the C-post and main bulkhead into the boat, they drove a wooden wedge under the base of the C-post (in the bilge !!!!) and simply 'tabbed it over' with fiberglass to hold the wedge in place. Being in the bilge and after all these years the wedge rots, the rot grows into the base of the post, the compression into the bulkhead 'relieves' (the bulkhead takes all the stress of MAST and coachroof, not 'just' the compression post) ... and the bulkhead shifts out of place.
Look carefully at the head door and does it close without 'binding' and does the door hardware line up reasonably, then look in the bilge and push a small screwdriver into the tabbing to look to see if that wedge is still there, Also inspect the BASE of the Compression post .... if its rotting it will show darkening on the outside surface. Just about ALL pearsons of the early 70s used a wedge under the compression post in the bilge .... replace it with one made out of fiberglass, then 'tab' it in place to hold it there.

If the C-post IS rotted but the bulkhead is not shifted ... its an easy repair --- just cut the bottom of the post off, make up a solid FRG 'pedestal' base, jack up the 'coachroof' and slip in the new base, etc. ... prevents the inevitable Pearson bulkhead 'shifting'.

:-)

:-)

Rudder bearings, etc. are still available from drmarine.com ... they are delrin and seriously abrade when the rudder shafting becomes roughened over time. Dig a pit under the rudder, drop the rudder and do a 'complete job' when replacing the bearing .... polish the shaft too !!!!
klshoreguy likes this.
Old 06-14-2012

Thanks for all that information. Looks a like a tough job but with a good return. Door closes just fine right now. Maybe a little "Git Rot" would slow the rotting of the wood. I am trying to attach a picture so you see what I saw. It is under the port side settee. If you have a diagrams or photos on how this is done that would help me understand the process better. Do I need to have the mast down to do this? thanks again.

Getting the boat regardless because I basically getting it for free and I can always sell the engine to recover the costs and either donate the hull or cut her up into little pieces for the trash man. I was told about $1000 to fix this by a local part timer but I think I maybe able to handle this job.
Old 06-14-2012

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...une2012062.jpg

Here is door. It was tight but closed and open wit little effort. Lined up pretty well too.
Old 06-14-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by klshoreguy View Post

Thanks for all that information. Looks a like a tough job but with a good return. Door closes just fine right now. Maybe a little "Git Rot" would slow the rotting of the wood. I am trying to attach a picture so you see what I saw. It is under the port side settee. If you have a diagrams or photos on how this is done that would help me understand the process better. Do I need to have the mast down to do this? thanks again.

Getting the boat regardless because I basically getting it for free and I can always sell the engine to recover the costs and either donate the hull or cut her up into little pieces for the trash man. I was told about $1000 to fix this by a local part timer but I think I maybe able to handle this job.
Your pic shows an aux. bulkhead whose tabbing has come loose ... probably from improper blocking of the hull with jackstands, etc.

This is an EASY fix. Just cutout / rip out the tabbing that holds the bulkhead in place and replace with epoxy and cloth ... and then provide a diagram of where your bulkheads are to those who haul and block your boat OR better put little marks along the waterline exactly where the jackstands should be positioned.
;-)
Old 06-15-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

That looks to be the forward cabin bulkhead. If the bulkhead were solid, you can just cut out the old galss and re-do. If the bulkhead is rotted, as it sounds that is, that's the reason the boat is free, as the bulkhead needs to be replaced and it is a big job.

Skip the GitRot. You can chose to ignore it, or hack at it, just remember, until it is replaced, the boat will continue to have no value...if like most owners you cant resist the "fix this, fix that...make it better.." attitude toward the vessel you come to love, you may find you end up putting a lot of time and money in her...which is all down the drain until that bulkhead has been replaced.
Old 06-15-2012

clyanh is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Pearson 26 bulkhead delamination

Quote:
Originally Posted by klshoreguy View Post

does not look serious. you can patch it yourself. do not need the mast down. the p 26 is an outstanding boat.....had one for 13 years, 18,000+miles. as per picture, even if you did nothing, i don't think you have much to worry about. congrats on buying a great boat
Old 07-19-2012

Thanks everyone for all those replies. Just got a new computer as the old one broke. Still do not have the boat yet. I checked the core wood and it was solid not rotten so that is a good thing. could not get an in awl to push in with out cracking the wood. The current owner is little difficult to deal with so I am helping him understand the value of everything that comes with boat as he continues to pay his monthly storage fees. The motor has some value as it is a late model Yamaha and runs great and that is about the only thing I will pay him for. He has been testing the market for a month and has only recently come back to contacting me again. Maybe in a week I'll know, but I'm not in a rush to throw money away on a project that is not priced right.
Old 07-28-2012

Ok. No go. He put it on ebay and must have gone to scrap yard because it sold for twice my top bid. I found another Pearson 26 this time a one design that appears in better shape but I ran into a Sabre 28 and now am very confused...
Old 08-08-2012

Thanks to all on this board who assisted me as I looked for that first sailboat and came across projects like this Pearson 26 and the Pearson 28 which led me to my ultimate destination....(drum roll) Pearson 303. Cheers and Happy sailing.
Attached Thumbnails
Pearson 26 bulkhead delamination-free-will.jpg