Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013

jim murdock is on a distinguished road
seacock location

I have a new to me P-30 and I was wondering where I could find a seacock location diagram. The PO included everything to do with sailing to the point the cabin and lockers are full of stuff. Even a big rectangular dock box (for sale). Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-11-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: seacock location

You don't need a diagram. What you should be doing is opening up every hatch, door, opening and cabinet opening you see and find out what's on the other side. When you do that, you will find all thru hulls, bilge pumps, sump pumps, etc. Find every hose and figure out it's purpose. Get a good handle on all your boats systems....electrical, both 110v and 12v, water system, sanitary system and engine mechanicals.
Old 02-12-2013

Neo* is on a distinguished road

I agree with Jim. When I bought my P31-2 last year it came with all the original diagrams, but there were discrepancies in the locations for several items including through hulls. Better to spend a day or poking under every hatch. The only through hulls that were in hard to find places were the depth transponder and speed transponder. The rest were fairly easy to find.
Old 02-12-2013

jim murdock is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to avoid (lazy?) doing that given all the stuff packed in there. Spring can't be too far away!
Old 02-12-2013
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Jim,

Like others have mentioned, the only way to do this right is to dig into your bilges yourself. While a diagram may give you location, it says absolutely nothing about condition.

The good news is that it will force you to dig through all the stuff the PO left for you to deal with.

If your boat is like most, you'll find:
- a few things that you can use immediately;
- a few more things that you have a plan to use soon;
- and a ton of stuff that you just "might" need at some indeterminate future date.

If you're lucky, you'll also find some stuff that you absolutely know you'll never use and can with a good conscience give to some other owner for him to store on his boat for another decade or so.

Do yourself a favor: take all that stuff that you "might" need, and get it off the boat -- take it home, put it in your car, etc, but mostly just get it out of your way. Unless you're a full time live-aboard, you have better options.

Look at it this way... If it's in the way now, then think about how much more it's gonna be in your way when you are trying to find something (like a seacock or a leak) in a hurry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
Old 02-12-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
A good idea while you are doing this is label things, hoses, wires, which way seacock handles turn, whatever you can think of. We bought a label maker and waterproof tape and it helps. Also good advice from others here.
Old 02-12-2013

Neo* is on a distinguished road

I found that most of the equipment piled in our boat was better kept in my garage until the time came to use it. Like the oil changing kit, the spinniker, the extra large pack of spare life jackets, the extra parts to the bimini, the big bag of spare hoses, etc. We are coastal cruisers so don't need to take everything with us all the time.

This also makes it easier to get at the emergency equipment at the bottom of the sail locker when you really need it. Like the emergency tiller.
Old 02-12-2013

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

IF the boat is out of the water on the hard, it can be easier to start from the outside and trace everything back to the inside.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-15-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Wow, active threads in the Pearson forum? I'm excited!

For the OP-

Centerline aft:

The engine cooling water through-hull is located behind the pop-out panel to the left of the companionway steps.

The galley sink drain through-hull is there as well, but be advised that there probably is not a seacock on it. It's just a large, fiberglass standpipe. Do not damage it.

Stbd side forward:
Head sink drain through hull is under the sink (obviously). Again, standpipe with no through-hull unless someone added one later.

Port side amidships:
Under the port settee, remove the pop-out panel, the head flushing water supply through-hull is located here. Also, knotmeter through-hull may be located here.

Port side forward:
Under the port V-berth cushion, you'll find a pop-out panel that exposes a large stowage area. Also in the stowage area you'll find the head overboard discharge seacock. Use caution, do not store large, heavy objects in that space that could damage the through-hull.

Optional:
You may find your depth transducer through-hull directly under the V-berth by removing the bottom drawer on the athwartships panel in the head/V-berth boundary.

The fresh water tank is also installed directly under the center of the V-berth. There is also a stbd stowage area under the V-berth.

All of this assumes that your boat was not modified, and is near to mine in hull number. I'm #255 for what it's worth to you.

Hope that helps.
1973 Pearson 30 #255