SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Pearson (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/)
-   -   Pearson 303 Step Plate - where to buy? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/pearson/98117-pearson-303-step-plate-where-buy.html)

klshoreguy 04-03-2013 06:47 PM

Pearson 303 Step Plate - where to buy?

Hello All

I require some guidance on where to get a new step plate for my keel stepped Pearson 303. Surveyor said it was starting to show some corrosion so after un stepping the mast I removed the step plate and...ta da there is a lot of corrosion and it is looking a little thin. Rather not re-install this one if there is a stronger option.

Ideas, suggestions, can of worms?

Thanks

jsaronson 04-03-2013 07:37 PM

Re: Pearson 303 Step Plate - where to buy?

try drmarine.com

klshoreguy 04-03-2013 07:59 PM

Saw nothing on the site so sent an email. See what happens. Thanks

StarGazerI 04-08-2013 12:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by klshoreguy (Post 1011794)
Hello All

I require some guidance on where to get a new step plate for my keel stepped Pearson 303. Surveyor said it was starting to show some corrosion so after un stepping the mast I removed the step plate and...ta da there is a lot of corrosion and it is looking a little thin. Rather not re-install this one if there is a stronger option.

Ideas, suggestions, can of worms?

Thanks

HI! Im P303 #221 StarGazer II,

Saw your post and I feel your pain..lol Went to a welding shop and had them put the new one up by 4.5 inches and cut off the bottom of mast that was bad by that much too. Here it in and hope it helps ya! Its been 4 years now with no problems and no more corrosion :)

StarGazer II Capt. ROB

Neo* 04-10-2013 02:42 AM

Is the picture of the mast before or after it was cut. I appreciate the pictures as a frame of reference for my Pearson 31-2, which has is familar step.

klshoreguy 04-12-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarGazerI (Post 1013644)
HI! Im P303 #221 StarGazer II,

Saw your post and I feel your pain..lol Went to a welding shop and had them put the new one up by 4.5 inches and cut off the bottom of mast that was bad by that much too. Here it in and hope it helps ya! Its been 4 years now with no problems and no more corrosion :)

StarGazer II Capt. ROB

Yeah that is what it looks like! I like the idea of raising it up out of the bilge water. My mast could lose about a 1/2 or so, but it is in good enough shape to leave as in and maybe cut in three years. Does your mast now just rest on top of the plate? I do not see any supporting structure to guide it in place.

Alex W 04-12-2013 11:37 AM

Neo: Your 31-2 likely has an IsoMat mast. You can buy hardware for them from rigrite.com

StarGazerI 04-12-2013 04:08 PM

Guy's It's really simple. cut off the length you want! Here is the math to follow.. From the base thats Flat to where you want the mast to sit + 1 inch for mast step abd your done.. No more mess! just take the cut off- part of the mast and they grind down so the new mast-stand id solid at 1 inch high but all one peice. any water that comes down or in won't heart the new mass-step and it dries quicker too.

StarGazerI 04-12-2013 04:12 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention my botton of plate has a solid nylon bottom and then the aluminum spacer/step. Sorry about that. its 1 inch to really keep water off.
regards.