Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Pearson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013
Learning Fast

Outrageous is on a distinguished road
Accessing waste pipe

Own 1982 Pearson 32 for 4 years. In Dec. 2010 I had the toilet and seawater thru-hull replaced. Now I've got problems with the waste deck fill and need to replace it. My immediate problem is getting at the inside, underneath location where the holding tank pump-out pipe is bound to the deck fill assembly. Can someone with Pearson experience point me to what I need to take apart in the cabin in order to access this? [I'm concerned that I'll take apart too much and damage stuff in doing so - and in the reassembly.]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Accessing waste pipe

Sounds like you are having fun now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 06-19-2013
Learning Fast

The good news is that (see pix) I have accessed the Waste pipe from below. Note what appears to be corrugated pipe (ugh!). The question is: how is this project going to work?

I can't just rip the whole thing apart and replace the pipe and deck fill together because the holding tank is full and the waste cap is galvanically corroded in place (tried boiling water, vinegar, liquid wrench, etc). So, I have to replace the deck fill assembly using the current pipe, refasten temporarily, then pump out the 'stuff' and cleanse the tank, and then replace the pipe starting back at the holding tank. I have some advice on the correct smooth white pipe to use for a replacement.

Besides the hose clamp, there is some tape, which seems to have been painted over (?!) and a plastic nut above the hose clamp and a 2" sleeve of some kind which goes around the incoming deck pipe stem of ~1.5".

Welcome suggestions for a clean method of proceding.
Attached Thumbnails
Accessing waste pipe-0615131438.jpg   Accessing waste pipe-0615131446.jpg   Accessing waste pipe-0615131442.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013

Neo* is on a distinguished road

I found what looks like the same corrugated pipe installed in the galley sink drain on our p31-2. It was clamped to a short section of PVC pipe which was screwed into the seacock. Hard to believe.

It looks like you have a standard pump out deck plate fitting. Replacing the hose should be straight forward.

We re-plumbed the entire waste system with Trident sanitation hose according to Peg Hall's recommendation.

Old 07-10-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road

Can you drill out the screws and pull the fitting with hose attached through the deck? Then you could release the clamp, install a new fitting and pump out the holding tank.

By the way I am facing a similar project, I can't remove the cap on the pump out fitting and holding tank is overfull. I ahve been dumping bleach into the system andf getting ready to simply open the cover on the tank and bail it out. Yuchh!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 07-10-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I would drill out the waste cap first with a multi-tool, so I could empty the tank before proceeding, then fashion some kind of temporary plug until you can replace the entire assembly. Working with a full tank does not pass the smell test...
Old 07-11-2013
Learning Fast

Before we went on our 4th July cruise-out, I had tried the vinegar and boiling water to dissolve the bronze/aluminum corrosion (and WD-40 and liquid wrench and PB blaster...). Didn't work. I ran across a guy with strong drill bits and he drilled a hole, then used some drill bit which threaded the hole and then I screwed in a 6 or 8" bolt, which gave me leverage when I banged on it sideways. Cap eventually loosened (it was just laying there, not threaded in place, or I would have had to drill it all out) and I bought a $2 rubber sink stopper and taped it over the hole for the trip. Am able to pump out, and to put in bleach, vinegar, whatever, to get it reasonably clean.

In between weekly races, trying to work up the courage to unclamp, untape, & sever the pipe from deck fitting and repot the deck and install the new fitting and new hose - which cost I doubt I can avoid.