Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004

tjgault is on a distinguished road
Big Stove vs. Camp Stove

I have a 30'' Laguna (almost exactly like a Catalina) and have pulled out my alcohol stove as we rarely used it and it didn''t burn that well.

My wife and I are taking a 8 day excursioin on Southern Lake Michigan. Though we plan on hitting popular harbors (this is our first mult-day excursion) and hit restaraunts, we would like to cook many warm meals.

We don''t plan on cooking under sail so are considering using a propane camp (Coleman) stove where our galley/stove used to be. Does anyone see any problem with this as I haven''t heard or seen this on other boats.

Thanks.

Thom Gault, Chicago
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Big Stove vs. Camp Stove

They do work...but you may want to build some sort of stand for it, as even the sway of the boat at anchor could tip the whole thing over(embarrassing, mildly dangerous...and hungry-making!)

You might want to check out the small portable gas wok-rings available very cheaply at asian grocery stores.

This is a single burner (self igniting) that is about 12x12x4 inches and fairly stable and sturdy. It runs on aerosal type cans of propane and burns very hot and very effieciently. Excellent for cooking and very portable and safe.
They run about $12US plus the tins of propane.

I actually plan to take a look at modifying a system so that I can use mine either with the plug in cannister for portability or with a hose connection to a regular bbq gas bottle. They are small and nifty addition to a galley that may already have a gas or alcahol stove. (seriously much hotter).

Another option that is used by some local racers here is to get a stainless steel kettle spot welded onto the top of a a campers stove that plugs onto a small gas-bottle. The entire contraption is then hung off a hook form the cabin ceiling, which means it is gimbaled.Then you just turn it off, unhook it and pour the bioling water onto the instant whatever you want to fuel the crew with. Not exactly gourmet cooking.

Sasha

Old 07-16-2004

svsheela is on a distinguished road
Big Stove vs. Camp Stove

A coleman stove is what I have been using for 7 yrs. now. Of course they rust pretty bad, I keep them for approx. 2yrs. and then replace it. Just make sure you have good ventilation. I have the one burner and grill, which I love. Take care. Sheela
Old 12-27-2012

jaymckay is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Stove vs. Camp Stove

i have a coleman one burner and grill too.. main concern is ventilation and plenty of fans.. that regulator pipe thing is annoying but... they're cost efficient.. gonna think about rebuilding my whole galley so it accommodates to my newer appliances anyway.. happy new years 2013
Old 12-28-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

When I use a stove (rarely) it is a multi-fuel camp stove.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Is there any more concern with ventilation using a propane camp stove vs. a propane stove intalled in the boat?
Old 12-28-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

My only extra concern would be that the camping stove is usually using the throw-away bottles, which just use a rubber ball to seal the gas in. That valve is prone to leaking, so you want to pay extra attention to storage and ventilation, in case it is leaking propane while not connected.

But in use? Same monoxide issues, same burner, all about same-same.
Old 12-28-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

The original post was 2004.

Is this a record?
Old 12-31-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Gotta be close to a record.

I bought one of those little bracket/gimballed screw bottle one burner stoves and put a mount on the pedestal with the objective of being able to make coffee while at the wheel. Boat Gimballed Stove Mini Galley
It works BUT not in a moderate wind. The wind just blows too much of the heat away. If the burner were a little closer to the bottom of anything you place in the basket, it would work better.

I DO worry about the seals on those disposable LP bottles.

Last edited by smurphny; 12-31-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Making coffee while at the helm: What, your boat didn't come with a thermos bottle? Really, smurph, wasn't there one in your USCG Safety Package either?

Camping stoves designed for serious winter use (i.e. in high wind and cold) typically come with a windscreen. Some have one designed into the fit of the cook and burner. You could probably retrofit one by placing a large can (tomato juice?) around the two. Cut both ends off the can, obviously.A couple of good magnets to hold it in place, or a clip or some kind.

But if the NYPD Harbor Patrol boards you and finds out, not only is your thermos missing, but you've been making fresh coffee WITHOUT DONUTS..."Boy, you're going to be in a lot of trouble, boy."
smurphny likes this.