Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

At the north end of lake Worth Florida it is possible to anchor in good holding in a pocket of marker 27 [ I think that is the number ] Dinghy into the cut at the north end leading into little lake Worth. It is possible to beach the dink there by the bridge. There is a Publix on the west side of the bridge and some other shops.

This is an excellent place to provision the boat if heading out to the Bahamas as you can push your cart[s] down to the bridge.

This Publix sticks in my memory as I had a nervous breakdown there in the fresh vegetable section. Having been cruising down island for some years I arrived cleared in and was looking forward to my first salad with crisp lettuce for quite a while. In fact I had been dreaming about fresh crisp iceberg lettuce.

However when faced with the reality in Publx of a whole section offering a huge variety of lettuce , iceberg, romaine reddichio etc I just could not cope, I mean how could I choose?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Annapolis

Great town with great atmosphere but only sort of good for provisioning. The grocery store is over a mile walk from the nearest dinghy dock. That's a long hike to me. There is a trolley that will take you to the grocery but I've yet to figure it out, we just use our bikes instead. Need to explore that further. Banks, drugs, hardware, marine supplies are available, tho again not a short walk. Best to figure out the trolley!
Free anchoring space is somewhat limited.
There is a bus that will take you to a mall.
If you are an SSCA member the local cruising stations will provide support.

Anchor in Back Creek and dinghy up to the bulkhead above the power sub-station. Less than 1/2 mile walk to groceries, an excellent Chinese restaurant, Quantum Sails, and Fawcett. West Marine is another quarter mile adjacent to a laundromat. CVS is close.

Anchor in Spa Creek, the South Anchorage, or grab a mooring in the main field and the tourist center at the Harbormaster's office has maps and guidance for buses, the Circulator, and the eCruiser. Laundry in the Harbormaster's office. Good bus transportation to local mall and Sam's Club.

Weem's Creek has easy access to a local grocery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Herrington harbor North - south of Annapolis has a West Marine on-site, but no groceries.
Edgewater has Fawcetts, West and groceries about a mile away. Chesapeake Harbour in Edgewater may have a courtesy van and has laundry on-site but no fuel.
HHN is in Deale, MD. Great boat services and a West Marine, but no provisioning of significance.

Fawcetts, West Marine, groceries, laundry and Chesapeake Harbour are all in Eastport.

Edgewater does have a West Marine but it's far from the water without ground transportation.
blowinstink likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Great idea for a thread Xort. Thanks.

(PS - There are those of us who killed our ActiveCaptain membership and don't care to use that site.)
canucksailorguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-16-2013

sck5 is on a distinguished road

Little Creek VA is just inside the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. Has all the amenities in the marina and a large grocery store about half a mile away. West Marine a bit further but still walkable. Good restaurants and bars in the marinas and right next to them. The Norfolk airport is close enough you could even walk there if need be but most people would take a taxi. Great for crew changes or if you need to go back home for some reason. Little Creek also has a Navy base so it has a well dredged channel, and you can get in day or night in any weather. The marinas are OK with tying up to their fuel dock until morning if you come in after hours. There is a long stretch both north and south of the Chesapeake entrance with no good stopping place for a sailboat and this is by far the most convenient to the entrance. Also good for jumping off to the islands or Bermuda (which is what we did)
SVAuspicious likes this.

Last edited by sck5; 07-16-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Aren't there taxis anywhere?
Taxis are a surprisingly mixed bag. For instance, in Ft Pierce FL, a 5 minute ride is likely to run you $30 while in St. Augustine the same ride would cost you $5 including tip.

I think this is a cool idea for a thread, but it needs more management. For example, there are comments about access to grocery stores in both Annapolis and St. Augustine but neither identifies the anchorage or dinghy doc from which the reference is made . . ..
Old 07-16-2013

mm2187 is on a distinguished road

New Bedford, MA... has a great anchorage, dockspace and moorings behind a hurricane barrier. There is a massive supermaket (Market Basket) which is about 1.5 miles away. You will also be able to get ANYTHING you need for a boat in the harbor.
Old 07-16-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Well for those transiting the Hudson River there is a decent anchoring spot in Beacon, NY. Beacon Sloop club lets you use there dingy dock, but no services such as water/fuel I don't think the club house even has water, it uses a composting toilet. Train station right there, express trains to the City. There is a Key Foods (small local grocery that has excellent selection) that is about a mile walk. Lots of restaurants, excellent Contemporary Art Museum (The Dia) and coffee houses. Heck if you give me a PM a couple of days or so before I will try to give a ride to the Key Foods, or to Waly-Mart/Home Depot/Lowe's/Sam's Club/Big Groceries/Shopping Mall etc. Across the River is Newburgh, no anchoring, very loud docks but good restaurants; any provisioning will be a cab ride.
Old 07-20-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
(PS - There are those of us who killed our ActiveCaptain membership and don't care to use that site.)
It'll never stop amazing me how the people who never contributed a single update, a single review, or a single piece of information to the ActiveCaptain community are the ones who stand up and then protest how evil it all is.
Old 07-20-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Kemah/ Clear Lake, Texas there is a West Marine right on the water there on Clear Lake, and pretty much everything else you need within walking distance. The lake has draft in it to take any sail boat in the channel.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 07-21-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
As I said up front, that is backwards from what I'm trying to do here. You can surf up and down the coast looking at various harbors and reading comments and maybe you'll get lucky stumbling into a good provisioning stop. Or have a list of all the good stops in one place. Feel free to not participate here.
I'm not sure how you envision your plan working. How does one find a good provisioning stop? Some of the information is available in such publications as Skipper Bob's ICW books in the shopping section but only covers the ICW. You might seek to have them expand their areas of coverage or perhaps you can work with Jeffery Siegel to have this information easily accessible on Active Captain.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea. I would like to know how I can access the information and that it's comprehensive. It's a huge project on it's own but a lot of the leg work has been done by people such as Skipper Bob and the Active Captain.