Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

It would be quite simple to sort our data by content. We do it today for slip pricing, fuel pricing, and pumpout. On the website, you can have it show only marinas that have pumpout as an example. Then as you pan around, only the red markers with pumpout display. There's no reason we couldn't do something similar with any data field - it's in the plan but no one has asked for it yet.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySiegel View Post
It'll never stop amazing me how the people who never contributed a single update, a single review, or a single piece of information to the ActiveCaptain community are the ones who stand up and then protest how evil it all is.
I contributed quite a few updates and reviews although none recently. I've told you I don't like the boatcards -- I think it enhances the advertising and sale value of your site but will disincentive-ise negative reviews. That's obviously your choice. What really annoys me is the way you use this site. I find your self promotion coupled with critisism of the forums more than obnoxious that has made me very disinclined to participate at AC.

canucksailorguy and chef2sail like this.
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001:1062491
Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
As I said up front, that is backwards from what I'm trying to do here. You can surf up and down the coast looking at various harbors and reading comments and maybe you'll get lucky stumbling into a good provisioning stop. Or have a list of all the good stops in one place. Feel free to not participate here.
I'm not sure how you envision your plan working. How does one find a good provisioning stop?
I plan on finding good stops by asking here!
Let me elaborate on what I'm trying to do. I don't need 50 or 60 ports on the east coast to have for major provisioning. Having a half dozen really good places is what a cruising boat would like to have. This is the cruising subforum. As a long term cruiser I have certain needs that someone out for a week or a month would not in doing major provisioning.

So I'm trying to collect the half dozen places to stop where I can:

Anchor free or moor very inexpensively with good protection
Easy, free access to shore
SHORT walk to a good grocery store
Walk to hardware, drugstore, bank & marine supplies
SHORT walk to laundry
Access water for the tanks

Easy, inexpensive bus or trolley can substitute for walking but carrying a lot of groceries on a bus is a bit of a pain.

There are thousands of great places to stop for many other good reasons. I just need a few great provisioning stops to take care of that specific need. There aren't many.

Last edited by xort; 07-21-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

xort, Your comments about Miami Beach are spot on. On the subject of marine supplies in Miami Beach, there is a marine supply store that if you get in a bind will deliver to the Police dock. You can also reach it by dinghy but it's about an hour up the Miami River. There is also a small marine supply store in the Miami Beach Marina but I hear they sometimes charge you to dock your dinghy there while shopping.

Miami Beach also has rental bikes with baskets available in many locations. I think there is a bike rental station just south of the police dock.
Old 07-21-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Jeffery, say for example I'm in the Miami Beach Area heading south. The current method to find a grocery store on the Active Captain would be to check out the anchorages and marinas and see what is available. What Xort wants is a list that tells you what anchorages and marinas have a grocery store or a hardware store or marine store or propane. With this list I call up the Miami area and right way I can see that if I anchore in Sunset Lake I have easy access to a Publix and a short walk to an Ace Hardware. If I want a marine store I will have to go be at or near Miami Beach Marina.
Old 07-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
Jeffery, say for example I'm in the Miami Beach Area heading south....
No, I get it. Try our site and use the Settings section in the Markers card to show only marinas that have pumpout. Then the only red markers displayed are the facilities that say they have pumpout. You can turn off all other markers too if you want so any marker you see is one with pumpout. Make sure to undo those settings because it will remember them in the future.

There's no reason the Grocery field couldn't be handled in the exact same way. No one ever wanted it (interesting that we just got a comment on the website requesting it...).

I think there are other better ways to handle the real information need - this is something we've been thinking about for a couple of years. I'm traversing the entire Erie Canal between Waterford and Tonawanda right now en route to the Great Lakes and Mobile Bay. We're stopping at 21 different towns, meeting with mayors, chambers-of-commerce, and business development organizations like CanalNY. We're showing them a new type of database for putting together A&A's - activities and attractions. Those A&A's fit against a planned route (shared from existing ones that we'll provide or manually created) to create a spreadsheet type of display showing the things you're interested in - concerts, fireworks, groceries, farmer's markets, festivals, special events, etc, based on the time you plan to be there. Switch the start date and like a spreadsheet, it filters down to the rest of the list so you can see what's happening a couple of days on each side of when you'll be at different locations on the route.

We realized that a static field (like grocery) isn't good enough to sort on although there are good reasons to do that too. What's really needed is a full database that towns will manage. Some items have time conditions - obviously grocery doesn't but a farmer's market does. We're going to use the Erie Canal as a test bed and show these ideas in 2014. The Erie Canal is perfect for this because all the towns are relatively close and there are overseeing marketing groups who love our idea and want to help promote it.

If you step back and look at the guts of the idea, we're trying to get towns to crowd-source their A&A's for business development reasons (users can add A&A's too and rate/review them). There's no better way to collect all the different data when it's something as big and diverse as this. We've just got to get the towns to contribute data in as great a way as boaters have added their updates with all of the other ActiveCaptain data (3+ million updates so far).
jjablonowski and shanedennis like this.
Old 07-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
I contributed quite a few updates and reviews although none recently.
You have 170 points which really isn't much. You never earned enough for a hat which is about the minimum level of normal user contribution.

Quote:
I've told you I don't like the boatcards -- I think it enhances the advertising and sale value of your site but will disincentive-ise negative reviews. That's obviously your choice.
Through what type of woo-woo do you conclude that? We have no desire to remove or dissuade anyone from writing a negative review. Why would we? I write negative reviews myself at times. Go look at Wayfarer Marine in Camden, Maine sometime.

We're about what's real. Most of the time what's real is good but occasionally it's bad. Both are critically important. We want it all...as long as it's real.

Quote:
What really annoys me is the way you use this site. I find your self promotion coupled with critisism of the forums more than obnoxious that has made me very disinclined to participate at AC.
Just like this thread, I respond when others raise ActiveCaptain questions or issues. I never start them. Would you prefer to see the answers or responses from someone else? I'm sorry that my enthusiasm shows through for the things we do. I love what we do and I think it really has made a difference in boater's safety and enjoyment.

I am critical of forums. I think they've lost their way. I think this type of anonymous discussion brings out this aggressive behavior that you're showing (possibly me too) - and it's not the first time from you. There is little chance that you'd ever run into me at a boaters lounge and speak to me in public around others in the way you speak to me and some others here. It's nasty, mean, and doesn't belong in our boating community.

There are facts backing up what I've said about forums too. Use is down. 2011 was the top. It's been on the slow decline since then. This can all be verified. Sailnet doesn't publish use rates. But CruisersForm uses quantcast and so their data is public. Follow this - go here:
https://www.quantcast.com/cruisersforum.com

Now under the graph is a little date slider. Slide the starting date to the very left to get the full view. Now analyze. Is CruisersForum use increasing any longer?

Is there any reason to believe Sailnet is different? It's more dramatic to see the CruisersForum numbers for earlier in the decade because growth was incredible and it has stopped (actually it has decreased). That data requires payment to access.

At the same time, women use of these forums is quite low. Yes, there are a few women who post here. What do you think the percentage is? I can tell you that ActiveCaptain is 50/50 men to women. I actually think it's tilted toward women by the emails we get.

I'd love to work with forums to make them better. They don't compete with what we do. Heck, about two dozen forums have created eBoatCards groups to give their users extra capabilities (locator services coming up next). Some forums are changing for the better. In general, the ones that blast banner ads don't get it. Instead of providing useful revenue sources that would be beneficial to us boaters, we get splashed with Yoplait ads. Really? Is that the best they can do? It's a pure sign of a total lack of imagination and has almost no long-term staying power. Keep an eye on those use numbers...there's magic there.

...I'll see your $0.02 and raise you $10.00...
fryewe and shanedennis like this.
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Cruisers Forum, post there often?
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 07-21-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

Jeffrey,

Love your work with ActiveCaptain. Fantastic resource. I use Polar View because it has ActiveCaptain integration.

Agree the forums, including Sailnet could be much better (more useful to usersand more profitable to the owners).

I'm travelling on the Erie Canal between Tonawanda and the Hudson River.

Would love to meet you. Currently in Lockport.

My boat is S/V Sea Change II (Aussie registered). Flag me down if you are so inclined. If nothing else I can provide current, first hand cruising experience for the Great Lakes.

Shane

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-21-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
I'm travelling on the Erie Canal between Tonawanda and the Hudson River.
Fantastic! Our paths will cross. We're only in Amsterdam on the eastern side of the canal - we're making a lot of stops. But we're going all the way to Lake Erie and there's really only one way toward each other that we can go.