Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Sigh.

Square peg, round hole, employ sledge
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

We usually are happy to walk to a grocery store within a mile of our stopping point. It is super easy to use Google maps to find them in the USA.

My vote is for Active captain to remain marine focused. I would prefer to see an entry for marine supply stores
Old 07-21-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Ok ... this thread is starting to look like yet another JS/AC promotional tour coupled with the requisite amount of abuse thrown at SailNet members and SailNet itself.

Boring.
canucksailorguy and chef2sail like this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-21-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy:1062656
Xort,

As a suggestion for now, maybe you should grab the best info from each of the posts and paste it into the initial post. That way they're quickly available at the top.

Additionally, CD has been asking members for ideas on how to improve the site...maybe we can suggest this kind of info in a searchable database connected to the forum. Admin might be able to help. You're definitely onto something.

What do you think?
Pasting was part of my initial idea. Being able to edit old posts is something you can't do elsewhere. Now, not so enthused.
Old 07-21-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Pasting was part of my initial idea. Being able to edit old posts is something you can't do elsewhere. Now, not so enthused.
Xort, keep at it. We (mods) will assist in any way we can.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-21-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Ok ... this thread is starting to look like yet another JS/AC promotional tour coupled with the requisite amount of abuse thrown at SailNet members and SailNet itself.

Boring.
I just think it shows, yet again, how fair and well-moderated Sailnet is. You guys are WAY more equitable and honorable than I ever would be.

If you need me, I'll be doing research here:

Are ALL Sellers LYING MORONIC DOUCHBAGS??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-21-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
+1.

It's definitely a well-stocked area with great marinas, great supplies, great entertainment, and chocolate-chip waffles at the Waffle House that my boys are addicted to!
Oh man, I was not even hungry...

I kept my last sailboat down in Kemah for about nine months, but my work at the time had me out of the country on business for eight of the nine and the ninth one was December I did like being able to sail over to West Marine and go in and get stuff and tote it right out the door, walk down the ramp and get on the boat. I think if I ever had a store like that I would most definitely want it in a location right there with its own docks. I mean talk about a captive audience, that is like opening a McDonald's in a school zone.
Old 07-22-2013

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Jeff -
I don't ever argue with people on forums. I just don'tr think it is either worth my time or generally a productive use of the forums. There are simply far too many jack-assess like you etc/etc/etc
Exactly. Now **** off.
I'm confused...
Old 07-22-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

This could be a great thread. Can we get it back on track? I want to hear about the best provisioning stops on the east coast.

Here's a good almost-east-coast marine provisioning choice:

Rich Marine, Buffalo, NY: West Marine and Sailors Supply store within two blocks. Candy, if your Missus let's you go...

Going to start a similar thread for the Great Lakes to pass on what I found.
Old 07-22-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
This could be a great thread. Can we get it back on track? I want to hear about the best provisioning stops on the east coast.
I could easily make the argument that the best provisioning stops are all the marinas with courtesy cars - especially when they really let you take them out for a few hours. Once you have full access to a car, provisioning doesn't only mean getting goods from the places you can walk to.

As an example, no one would consider Shady Harbor Marina on the Hudson River to be a good provisioning stop. It's in a beautiful area but are no stores you could walk to in a reasonable way. We intended to stay there for a few days before heading to Waterford and the locks. The docks are fantastic, the pool is wonderful, and their new restaurant has outstanding food. All good stuff.

Then came a couple of big rains in June damaging and closing the Erie Canal (our next destination). We were stuck. And as the days stretched into weeks (5), we'd certainly need groceries and other things or else we'd go crazy.

But here's the thing. Shady Harbor has a courtesy car. So now it didn't matter what was available to us walking distance in New Baltimore, NY. We had Albany, Troy, and the entire surrounding area to drive to. And not only that, it was much easier than carrying things back to a more expensive marina because it was in the middle of everything. Now we could drive back right to a dock cart for carrying onto our boat.

So sure, it's nice when there's a place close to everything. But it's just as nice when there's a free car available. Maybe even nicer.