Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

Vero Beach free shuttle to Publix, Home Depot, Walmart and West Marine Express

Fort Pierce Short walk to Publix, West Marine and pharmacy.

Daytona Beach West Marine in Halifax Harbor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

My ideal provisioning stop is a free tie up wall in the middle of a small town. Prefer to give my money to the little guys.

In Lockport, NY today and it is about as perfect as they come. In the middle of a small town with everything I need day-to-day bus stop nearby to Buffalo where I can get anything else.

Today I'm using a $5 bus day pass to go to UPS customer service center in Buffallo to pick up our new Engel (yes, we are excited to have a fridge).

Like I tell my children, our time is cheap and the buses give us opportunities to meet the locals.
JeffreySiegel likes this.
Old 07-22-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

A friend(I've never met) of a friend was cruising toward Maine last week. They're from the UK and on a 2 or 3 year cruise around the Atlantic, in a 34' boat.

We've connected via email briefly, as they headed our way(having mail delivered to our home).

Upon landing in Maine, they need to provision the boat, do laundry, all conveniently, from an anchorage. They assumed Portland would be the simple first stop for the above. Reasonable assumption, right?

NO! I asked several friends sailing and living in the Portland Maine area, and no one could give some solid local knowledge to allow them to; 1-anchor, 2-go ashore nearby, 3-walk to grocery, 4-do their laundry.

The best we could do was get 2 to 3 of their requirements(and that was stretching it).

When I meet them, I'll be very curious what their sources and systems are. I think we all have our systems we use if we cruise the coast or farther.

I understand the desire to anchor. You're out for a few years, you just don't want to spend money on a mooring every time you need supplies. And I understand not wanting to schlep for miles. Even today on a coast that is familiar to us, we find ourselves in food desert areas(gas station mini marts) when we go ashore.

There is a lot of good info out there, but will there ever be the complete source of our coast for the visiting sailor? I don't think it's possible, but it's worth trying to improve.

My best advice on Portland, was Boothbay.
shanedennis likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 07-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Ok ... this thread is starting to look like yet another JS/AC promotional tour coupled with the requisite amount of abuse thrown at SailNet members and SailNet itself.

Boring.
It's like a tape in an endless loop. Always the same story and ending.

I have no problems with opinions about SN even the negative ones.

What I have always had a problem with are the posers ( yes that's not miss spelled) who post on here disquising their post when its obvious a plug for their commercial product and interests. This includes mot obviously JS and the Mantus infomercials.
canucksailorguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If you want to rent dock space, there are always marinas willing to take your money. If you want to rent a mooring, there are fewer places. If you want to throw the hook, there is a definite lack of good information. Skipper Bob has a fair selection of the best well known spots along the East Coast but there are MANY more spots not listed in any publication. These spots are often not near a grocery store, or a restaurant, or West Marine but simply a place to anchor for a night. Someone needs to compile a comprehensive, list of places to anchor for sailors who don't have local knowledge.
canucksailorguy likes this.
Old 07-23-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Someone needs to compile a comprehensive, list of places to anchor for sailors who don't have local knowledge.
I have 7+ years into that idea. Perhaps you might download the free 30 day trial of PolarView (polarnavy.com) and see all the anchorages they list. It's approaching 10,000 separate anchorage locations, every one with local knowledge (details, approach, tide, dinghy dock, pets, services, and 6 "star" ratings). PolarNavy explains it all. There are a variety of phone/tablet apps that do the same thing - 26 as of today. Garmin's BlueChart Mobile is an nice example app for iPhone/iPad that has it all built in too.
Old 07-23-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Someone needs to compile a comprehensive, list of places to anchor for sailors who don't have local knowledge.
One of my favorite parts of cruising is learning to identify and find new anchorages that are not charted or in the books. I know there is "no stopping progress" but I am really a bit melancholy about technology taking over yet another part of the cruising experience. Charts, Skipper Bob's and the cruising guides offer the minimum necessary for weekend warriors to drop the hook safely but it would be nice if every last nook of the coast was not rated and reviewed (IMO).
Old 07-23-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
One of my favorite parts of cruising is learning to identify and find new anchorages that are not charted or in the books. I know there is "no stopping progress" but I am really a bit melancholy about technology taking over yet another part of the cruising experience. Charts, Skipper Bob's and the cruising guides offer the minimum necessary for weekend warriors to drop the hook safely but it would be nice if every last nook of the coast was not rated and reviewed (IMO).
I know what you're saying and I have spots that I know are not listed anywhere for others to find. But, in my own travels to unfamiliar locations, it would be very helpful (if not, indeed, a basic a safety issue) to be able to accurately find safe anchorages with detailed info. on how to get into them. Even spots just outside channels (so I get rocked a bit) or far from dockside services would be useful at times. The ICW is a good example of this. There are VERY few anchorages listed in Skipper Bob (no, I don't wish to travel 40 miles up some river to find a spot) and the other guidebooks have obviously been financed by marinas through advertisements and hence, are not keen on listing free anchorages. They tend to lead sailors to the expensive marinas who have paid the authors for ads. I joined Active Captain and think it is a good effort but would like to have a printed guidebook, including lat/lon and depth info. of possible spots. I don't need to know about where a dog can crap or where where there are tourist trinket shops, just where to throw the hook.

From Jeff Siegel:
"I have 7+ years into that idea. Perhaps you might download the free 30 day trial of PolarView (polarnavy.com) and see all the anchorages they list. It's approaching 10,000 separate anchorage locations, every one with local knowledge (details, approach, tide, dinghy dock, pets, services, and 6 "star" ratings). PolarNavy explains it all. There are a variety of phone/tablet apps that do the same thing - 26 as of today. Garmin's BlueChart Mobile is an nice example app for iPhone/iPad that has it all built in too."

I do have Polar Navy and have used it. I like it but use other nav software on the boat. The only problem with using on-line data is that you need to be where there is internet service. I am not in range of any wi-fi (none that I would trust) very often. This kind of service usually requires paying for dockage to access a secure connection. For long-term cruising I can't (and I suspect many here can't) afford to pay for dockage every night in order to have web access. I will have to log into AC to see what anchorages are currently listed. Have not been there in quite a while but did record all the problem ICW spots from AC on last trip south. It was helpful.

Last edited by smurphny; 07-23-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Finding services near where you are isn't too hard (I use maps.google.com and type in things like "grocery near 38°58.087', -076°28.656'" which work great.

What is more of a challenge is deciding where to go based on provisioning and other services. I don't have a good solution that doesn't include a lot of manual hunting.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-23-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Finding services near where you are isn't too hard (I use maps.google.com and type in things like "grocery near 38°58.087', -076°28.656'" which work great.
I am also a heavy user of Google Maps (on Android)... but like AC and Bob it is only a rough guide. Common sense and local knowledge still prevail.

We stopped at Albion, NY today, which looked great on the guides... but we found nearest grocery store still open was a Walmart out of walking distance. Ick.

So we moved onto Hollie, NY, which according to Bob had a Jubilee grocery store, according to Google it was a Save a Lot. Google was right, but we ended up doing most of our shopping at a fresh produce shop not listed in any guide we learned about from the lift bridge operator.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2