Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: east coast provisioning stops

One sees a need and fulfills it; that's one of the basic tenets of capitalism. People use various sources of data to satisfy their needs or solve their problems; that's ingenuity. Some people just complain; that's counter-productive for everyone.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
If you want to rent dock space, there are always marinas willing to take your money. If you want to rent a mooring, there are fewer places. If you want to throw the hook, there is a definite lack of good information. Skipper Bob has a fair selection of the best well known spots along the East Coast but there are MANY more spots not listed in any publication. These spots are often not near a grocery store, or a restaurant, or West Marine but simply a place to anchor for a night. Someone needs to compile a comprehensive, list of places to anchor for sailors who don't have local knowledge.
There are two good ones I know of - Mark Doyle's On the Waterway Chartguides, and Chuck Baier and Susan Landry's The Great Book of Anchorages. Both excellent resources, and as one who lectures and writes on the ICW, I highly recommend both of them for those wanting good, accurate anchoring information on the ICW - information written by marine PROs - not Joe from Nebraska who bought a boat and loves to post online, and inaccurately, about all the neat places he's found to anchor.
smurphny and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to canucksailorguy For This Useful Post:
smurphny (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
There are two good ones I know of - Mark Doyle's On the Waterway Chartguides, and Chuck Baier and Susan Landry's The Great Book of Anchorages. Both excellent resources, and as one who lectures and writes on the ICW, I highly recommend both of them for those wanting good, accurate anchoring information on the ICW - information written by marine PROs - not Joe from Nebraska who bought a boat and loves to post online, and inaccurately, about all the neat places he's found to anchor.
Thanks for posting that. I have never heard of the Baier/Landry book. Will check it out.
Old 07-25-2013
Canuck Sailor

it's The Great Book of Anchorages - and I have no commercial interest in the book, although I did review it favourably for SAIL.

Old 07-25-2013
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
There is a lot of good info out there, but will there ever be the complete source of our coast for the visiting sailor? I don't think it's possible, but it's worth trying to improve.
This exact thought was what led me to develop my boat show seminar, Sailing South, First Timers' Guide to the ICW. After a few trips south, I'd figured it out and it was a lot easier trip. In Georgetown Bahamas, I got into a discussion with some others about what information they would have liked to have for their first ICW trip. That was revealing.
Sure enough, the information is all available, and easy to find. The real problem is that newbies don't know the questions to ask! That only comes from experience.
Still, Xort's idea here has given me an idea that I plan to include in my seminars, and I suspect several others have found this thread useful. I hope everyone continues to post the information Xort was looking for here.
[edit - good news, Xort has restarted this thread, under provisioning stops - see ya there!]

Last edited by canucksailorguy; 07-25-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2013

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Port Washington, NY

- Well protected harbor
- Free (for first two nights) mooring balls
- Dinghy to Main Town Dock for waterfront park
- Dinghy to North Town Dock, which is across the street from a large Stop & Shop supermarket and three blocks to West Marine store
- Water taxi available; price structure is a.) per head for single round trip, or b.) higher flat rate for one day for everybody aboard
- Pump-out available
- Excellent location for waiting out tide turns for transiting Hell Gate to NYC's East River
Old 07-26-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road
Re: Port Washington, NY

Port Washington, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjablonowski View Post
- Well protected harbor
- Free (for first two nights) mooring balls
- Dinghy to Main Town Dock for waterfront park
- Dinghy to North Town Dock, which is across the street from a large Stop & Shop supermarket and three blocks to West Marine store
- Water taxi available; price structure is a.) per head for single round trip, or b.) higher flat rate for one day for everybody aboard
- Pump-out available
- Excellent location for waiting out tide turns for transiting Hell Gate to NYC's East River
+1 (this is my home port)

Lots of room to anchor out as well.

Last edited by Plumbean; 07-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Jjab

Android devices do not display post titles. Can you put the name of the port in the body of the post.
Definitely sounds like port washington
And this thread will soon be merged with the new improved non-hijacked thread I started yesterday. There will be a clean up on isle one this weekend! Someone made a mess and the mods have promised to clean it up! Thanks all
Old 07-26-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001:1062849
Vero Beach free shuttle to Publix, Home Depot, Walmart and West Marine Express

Fort Pierce Short walk to Publix, West Marine and pharmacy.

Daytona Beach West Marine in Halifax Harbor
Ebs
Where do you tie up the dink to go to publix/west in ft pierce?
Old 07-26-2013

Plumbean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
Jjab

Android devices do not display post titles. Can you put the name of the port in the body of the post.
Definitely sounds like port washington
And this thread will soon be merged with the new improved non-hijacked thread I started yesterday. There will be a clean up on isle one this weekend! Someone made a mess and the mods have promised to clean it up! Thanks all
Yes, Port Washington. Fixed it. Sorry, thought it was in there when I quoted the first post on it.