SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Breadmaker aboard (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/10174-breadmaker-aboard.html)

CHRISTINE-R 07-31-2004 03:39 AM

Breadmaker aboard

Does anyone keep a breadmaker aboard? We''ve recently moved aboard & it''s one of those luxuries I''d hate to give up. Mine,however,is too cumbersome to stow.Does anyone know of a compact model or have any good stowage tips?

Billpjr 08-04-2004 06:39 AM

Breadmaker aboard

Learn how to do it without the breadmaker. It''s easy and you bake the loaf in a dutch oven.

CHRISTINE-R 08-08-2004 03:18 AM

Breadmaker aboard

You''re right. I have to change my big house mindset.Thanks for the dutch oven idea.

tauras 08-08-2004 05:54 AM

Breadmaker aboard

we did away with our breadmaker and replaced it
with Wolfgang Pucks 800 watt mixer. We use the same recipe as the breadmaker and use the dough hook to mix with. It takes only 5 minutes to mix put it into bread pan let it rise and bake. makes great bread. If you are going to cruise outside the US it''s hard to find flour for breadmakers. So try a recipe for bread and experiment. That''s what we did and we our bread is great and takes very little time to make.
But as we traveled outside the US we found that making Tortillas was easier. So we make more tortillas than bread now.
Tauras

Billpjr 08-08-2004 06:45 AM

Breadmaker aboard

christiner,
There wasn''t a hurry or need to use power tools when we were cruising so we did the dough by hand. Then baked it inside a coffee can set inside a pressure cooker without the pressure on (aka dutch oven). When finished baking it made a perfect round loaf for slicing. Yes, it drops right out of the can. We baked bread daily for approx 2 yrs this way. For us, yeast was harder to find than flour.

ness 03-13-2005 04:36 AM

Breadmaker aboard

Bread in the coffee can....do you havr a recipe??
Ness
nness@yahoo.com

Billpjr 03-17-2005 03:59 PM

Breadmaker aboard

Just put the dough in a coffee can instead of a "bread" pan. Cook same as any bread.

sidney777 03-21-2005 06:54 PM

Breadmaker aboard

I knew a guy with a 31 ft Hunter with a breadmaker aboard. It was a real treat while cruising. He did not have a 12V frig,but an icebox. He had a large solar panel and a wind gen, inverter. As, you know when you are out cruising for a time it is nice to have a few special things(whatever they are for you, like chocolate,alcohol,waffles,fruit,etc). I stocked up on Spices for food. It was a good way to make the same food taste diff each time. I used more spices than I would ever use at home. Some of my choices in food were because of the date on it, not how much I liked the food. I have a 12V frig.

Bermuda 06-21-2005 07:16 AM

Breadmaker aboard

Below is a link to a breadmaker site, the breadmaker is yours truly. The site is the Island Packet Owner''s Photo Site, the photo is of a couple of beauties I made while enroute on a delivery from St. Thomas to The Chesapeake.
http://www.islandpacketphotos.com/pictures/Ad_634_6.jpg

As you can see, there is no limit what you can do without special equipment, I did however need the oven but the dough and loaves were freehanded.

Captain Bruce

Ssor 08-12-2006 07:35 PM

Yeast bread is easy to make. Dry yeast will keep for a year if you don't lay it out in the sun. You don't need anything more than a bowl for mixing and an oven for baking. Four cups of flour, an envelope of yeast, a scant 12 ounces of water, 2 teaspoons of salt. Mix by hand until it forms a lump with no dry places, allow to sit covered for about 20 minutes and knead in the bowl for five minutes, don't add flour, oil the bowl, turn the bread to coat with oil, cover and let rise until very puffy, shape into a round somewhat flat loaf like a big bun, sprinkle some cornmeal on a cooky sheat, let rise until at least double in size. Bake in a375 degree f. oven for forty minutes.