Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005

Evy is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

How about a good old well-seasoned iron skillet? Still learning and earning to go but this is one of my concerns. I would have a tuff time switching to alum. if cast is impractical. I''ve also cooked alot of food in the can, even popcorn in an empty bean can and once made a skillet out of a beer can and some wire to make burgers on a wood stove.
Thanks for all input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2005

flicker is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

I may not sail well, but I know a bit about pots and pans. I think the problem with iron is that it doesn''t transfer the heat from the center of the skillet or pan as well as aluminum or copper. It is also slow to heat up and to cool down, so temperature adjustments are more difficult and it takes more fuel to get it to cooking temperature. Then after having cooked in it, the iron gives off a lot of heat into the air which is just wasted energy. It is better suited to slow cooking (which uses more fuel and heats up your cabin more) as opposed to quickly whipping up breakfast eggs or sauteeing an evening meal of, say, vegetables and fish. Another thing about iron is that a little salt water really corrodes the surface overnight and, though this isn''t harmful to the person or the pan, it''s a bit of a mess to wipe out in the morning. Otherwise, you have to rinse with fresh water after washing. Also, it is significantly heavier than aluminum to carry. Plus, they don''t make cast iron pressure cookers, which are good for preventing spills, cooking quickly and further saving fuel.

On the other hand, cast iron is, and always will be, a standard for cookware materials; probably second to copper. It has fair cooking qualities, and, can be gotten inexpensively anywhere in the world. It will always be found in rustic cookery. It is durable, wears to a smooth finish, takes seasoning well and, when hot, produces fairly even heat distribution. Another advantage of iron is that it continually adds necessary iron into the diet as the surface wears off during cooking.

By the way, contrary to reports popularized decades ago and still passed along by word of mouth, aluminum does not cause Alzheimer''s disease. Aluminum cookware was developed at the same time when people began to live longer. It was as a result of having more older people in the population that there came to be a slightly greater prevalence of Alzheimer''s per capita. It was not the new aluminum pots. I only dislike bare aluminum because the pots tend to abraide and wear easily. And they taste funny when I lick them. (Just kidding-- not really).

I myself switched from cast iron skillets and pots to stainless-lined, anodized aluminum (with some copperware and copper-clad aluminumware thrown in) for home use. On the boat, I use an All-Clad skillet and sauce pans, my non-stick Cybernox completely-metal skillet which works well for eggs, and my Fagor pressure cooker which is good for soups, stews, and large roasts (and can be used for breadmaking, but I don''t). But of course these are all luxuries and I happen to have them already. If they are ever lost, and I am outside the US, I would buy the local cast iron, I guess. Cast iron certainly beats stainless steel!

But if you can cook up a hearty meal on tin and aluminum cans, you probably don''t need or want fancy pots.

Fine cuisine,
Chas
Old 02-25-2006

atemplet is on a distinguished road
My one pot would be a 6 liter (QT) pressure cooker, which can be used for almost anything, including safely boiling water in rough seas to fill a Thermos (Stainless Steel, fo course...)
Best
ap