Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2004

mmccoy is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

Just a poll to find the most useful ''can''t do without'' pot you have in your galley.

To kick it off my favorite cooking untensil is a high sided ''wok-like'' non-stick skillet about 12" wide at the top. It''s also got a handle I can unscrew/remove for storage or if I want/need to use it in the oven.

I like it because when I''m cooking underway I can stir to my hearts content and the high sides keep the food inside the pot where it belongs.

Wish I could remember where I got it because one day I''ll probably want/need to replace it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2004

Billpjr is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

If I had to have only one it would be a pressure cooker. We do everything in it and it doubles as a dutch oven for cooking bread. It saves fuel, has high sides and seals tight if necessary.
Old 08-23-2004

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

Mine is a 12 inch aluminum teflon coated heavy bottom pan with 2 inch steep sides. It has a pyrex lid.

On medium heat, I have baked a Duncan Hines in it, made scones, roasted a chicken with all veggies around the sides, used it as a frypan, and put a little pie cooling rack in it, added 1/2" water, put the salmon on the rack, lid on, and it poaches in 9 minutes!

The glass lid is the secret, don''t lift the lid.
Old 08-27-2004

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

Our favorite pot...would have to be, hands down,the COFFEE POT!!
Bill,
Old 09-03-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

mmccoy,

The pot you describe sounds like an evasee, or perhaps a saucier. If you should need to replace your pot, some of the new ones have durable non-stick interiors that are intended to stand up to metal cooking utensils and to last for years.

Ceramic/titanium interiors are made by Scanpan and, I believe, the new Calphalon line and are available from www.chefscatalog.com.

A metal non-stick interior is called Cybernox (made by Sitram) and a diamond composite non-stick interior is made by Swiss Diamond. These last two can be found at www.CookingEnthusiast.com.

Unfortunately, I haven''t had the opportunity to use these yet so I can''t vouch for how they cook or how long they wear, but I plan to get one before I leave.

Fagor also makes a 5-pc. pressure cooker set that includes an 8-qt. pot and a 4-qt. skillet, both of which will take either the pressure lid or a glass lid (and includes a steamer rack).

Fine cuisine,
Chas
Old 10-21-2004

mmcohen@maine.rr.com is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

I have the Fagor Pressure cooker set, and Really love it. fagor also publishes a companion cookbook with some really tasty items - Cuban pot roast is a winner. I have also done a fresh brisket in the cooker with wonderful results in 40 minutes vs 3+ hours in the oven. The down side is storage with the handle....
Old 10-22-2004

Favorite galley pot?

mmcohen,

Ironically, I was rotisserizing a Cuban boneless pork shoulder at the same time you were writing your post yesterday. (I slice it thinly and put it in sandwiches of marble rye with a pickle.)

I marinated it overnight in lemon juice, orange juice, cumin, garlic, onions, salt, pepper corns, and cloves. I know I left out the lime juice, because I didn''t have any, but I think the cloves aren''t supposed to be in there. I don''t remember.

So what is a Cuban pot roast? What goes into it and what spices? "Cuban" can mean so many different styles. Can you send the recipe?

Anyway, back to the question at hand and the nauticality (nauticalness?, nauticism?) of the post, I vacuum-marinated the meat in the 2-quart vacuum jar that came with my vacuum sealer. I bought this sealer really for the boat and now I just have to buy a boat big enough to carry the vacuum sealer along with everything else I want to take.

Back to the point, the one cooking item I will miss the most is my Ronco Showtime Rotisserie. (I do not work for Ronco, Showtime, Ron Popeil or any of his companies, subsidiaries, licensees or signatories.) You just can''t come out with anything but a perfect roast with it. Whether it is chicken, pork leg (with crispy skin), leg of lamb, whole turkey, prime rib roast, or, in this recent case, pork shoulder, they come out better than restaurant quality with little or no effort. (This is true except for when my wife put a 30-minute chicken in for 2 hours. It fell apart, dropped off the skewers and almost caught fire. Tasted alright though.) The trouble is the space (though they make smaller ones) and electrical drain. I still haven''t made the final decision on how much reliance I''m going to put on electrical systems, but I can''t imagine using a 1000 or 1500 watt electric rotisserie. Then again, with a good fridge I''d only have to cook once or twice a week. And with a generator I would be able to run the fridge and rotisserie. All I would need is an extra two feet on the aft deck to handle the generator.

I really didn''t want a 35-foot boat anyway. I really wanted a 42-footer with an extra mast to push it. But that''s twice the cost of the 35-footer. I''ll have to work another two years to get it.

I guess I don''t really need a rotisserie after all.

Fine cuisine,
Chas.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-20-2004

Zoo is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

So what is a Cuban pot roast? What goes into it and what spices? "Cuban" can mean so many different styles. Can you send the recipe?
Cuban Pork Roast is made by marinating for at least 6 hours in Lime or lemon juice, sour orange if yu can find it, oregano, bay leaves, salt, make small incisions in pork roast, stuff the holes alternating between garlic and onion. I like to add a bit of cooking wine as well. My Mom was Cuban, this is the way she taught me. I make mine in a pressure cooker in about 40 mins.
Good luck to you, if you need more Cuban recipes, I got a ton of them that I can email you.
Zoo
Old 11-28-2004

Favorite galley pot?

Zoo,

Sounds Cuban, alright. That''s pretty much the way I bake Cuban pork shoulder in the oven, but I got it from a book and didn''t learn it from a real Cuban. I had just wondered if you put root veggies in the pot.

Yeah, you can send me some recipes if you like. It''s one country I haven''t had the opportunity to visit, so I really don''t know what the food is like. My wife had bought us tickets to Cuba but then Bush tightened enforcement of travel restrictions and we didn''t go.

Thanks,
Chas.
cwfrickel@cs.com

Old 11-28-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
Favorite galley pot?

I just cook everthing in the cans they are in.It makes cleaning a lot easier,and the insides of the cans are sterile.And when its all over,I can find my way home by following the trail of cans left behind(???)now lets see,I left california with about 1500 different canned items.I wondered why my boat sat higher out of the water on the way back from hawaii.