SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   The most versatile recipe's ever (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/103642-most-versatile-recipes-ever.html)

bwalker42 09-12-2013 06:59 PM

The most versatile recipe's ever

Sugar and cinnamon

1/2 c sugar
2 TBSP cinnamon

combine and put in shaker. Use on whatever you like! Enjoy!

Flatbread

I love this recipe' It is my new favorite bread recipe' because it is so versatile.

Oven 425*-450*

measure 4.5 c flour in a bowl, make a well in it, set aside
1.5 c warm water 105*-120*, add 3 tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp active dry yeast.
dissolve and let sit 10 min. (the yeast should bubble and double it's size.)
at the nine minute mark, beat 1 egg with 1/3 c milk and 1/2 tea salt. Blend into the water yeast mixture and begin to add to the flour a little at a time, using your other hand to incorporate the flour into the liquid mixture with circular motions.
(This is where you need to make sure your hands are clean.)
When all the liquid and flour are incorporated, put dough ball onto floured surface and knead for at least 4 min.
divide the lump into 6-8 lumps, place dough lumps into plastic baggies and refridgerate for 30 min letting the dough rest.
Then you can use, freeze or keep refridgerated for up to three days.

Bake for 3-5 min depending on your oven.
I like to sray with butter cooking spray if I am going to bake it for flatbread use. First I spray the cookie sheet or pizza pan, then I place the rolled out dough onto the cookie sheet or pizza pan, then I spray the top and bake.

Or you can put pizza toppings on it as long as you make sure you use cooked meat. bake till cheese is melted and hot.

You can use veggies, or turn it into a fruit medly, or a breakfast calzone.

This is the best versatile dough. And perfect for toaster ovens, and leftovers!!!!! I even roll it out to about 1/4" thick and cut into 2x4" slices and fry, then season with sugar and cinnamon for a tasty treat for the children (and me). like homemade sopapillas...
OR
Season with garlic salt, and parmesan and Italian herb.
Really the sky is the limit!

You can do just about anything with it.

(I wonder how it will work for pb and j)

ellenwhite2 09-12-2013 08:06 PM

The most versatile recipe's ever

Mmmm. Wish my oven worked.

bwalker42 09-13-2013 01:03 PM

Re: The most versatile recipe's ever

The best cream gravy.

I prefer to use bacon drippings or drippings from the sliced breakfast sausage.
You never have the same amount of fat so you need to "eyeball it".
If you have too much fat in the pan, just drain into your bacon grease keeper.
The ratio of flour would be to start with minimal flour maybe a heaping teaspoon not too high, and stir into the hot fat. if you have too much flour, just add a little more of the drippings. If you don't have enough bacon grease, just use a little oil.
You are going to want the consistency to be not too thick, but then not too thin. Too thick will be lumps of flour, and not a smooth slightly thick consistency for browning.
When you have a nice consistency, add some salt and raise the heat to brown the flour to a nice golden brown stirring constantly. (This is called a roux, and is how many southern dishes are thickened. I love the cream gravy use of it, brown gravy, and the gumbo use of it.)
You are going to want to have your milk and some water ready for when the flour is browned and hot!
Add the milk stirring constantly, (I start with about 1-1.5 c depending on how much flour mixture I make) bringing the mixture back to a slight boil, paying attention to the thickening.
You may use only milk or milk and water. Using just water will make a nice gravy, but it will not be cream gravy.
Too much liquid will result in a watery type gravy, so you will want to add additional liquid gradually, incorporating it into the hot liquid quickly, stirring constantly.
Remember, if your gravy is too thin, just cook on low heat stirring constantly to reduce and thicken.

When its' done! OMG Use on bisquits for breakfast, rice, or good ole fashioned Chicken Fried Steak! Yum!

bwalker42 09-13-2013 04:11 PM

Ginger Simple Syrup

This is so versatile you can use it in smoothies, rated "G" drinks, and adult beverages.

True simple syrup is one c sugar and one c water.
I like to add another TBSP of sugar to mine.
bring to a boil on stove on med heat.
cook just till sugar is dissolved and syrup is clear. Add ginger stir and turn off heat. Cover saucepan with it's lid, and cool to just warm.

(While the liquid is heating up and it is coming to a boil, cut the skin off of the ginger. Use fresh ginger, dice it and give it a rough chop, or prepare before hand. add to the just ready simple syrup.)

To use in beverages;
Use one part ginger simple syrup to two parts Sparkling Water, (not flavored or sweetened), or use in smoothies.
Use Rhum, vodka, or whatever to make it adult.

You can do just about anything with simple syrup.
You can make it plain, I have three flavors in my fridge at all times. Kids love it.
Orange, raspberry, lemon, lime, ginger etc...and always plain.

bwalker42 09-25-2013 10:28 AM

The absolute perfect pie crust.

(Guess I am the only one sharing here.)

2 C flour
3/4 cup shortening (I prefer Crisco for purity)
1/4 c water
1 tea salt

Measure flour into mixing bowl.
Make a slurry; take 1/3 c flour out of the 2.c flour into a seperate small bowl, add water, mix. (cold water is best) set aside.
Add salt and shortening to the flour, cut shortening into flour till it looks like cornmeal.
Add slurry, mix. It will make a lump of dough.
You can chill, or use right away.

This recipe is an old family favorite through at least 4 generations on my mom's side.
You can use it year round. for your favorite seasonal tarts, pies, and anything else you need a crust for.
pot pies, quiches etc...
It is simple and a no fail recipe'.
With this recipe' you can have a great crust, anytime, anywhere!!
Thanks to my great Aunt Bert.

bwalker42 09-30-2013 02:25 PM

From the New Making of a Cook by Madeleine Kamman

Fresh white soft cheese

I chose this recipe because I am about to try it for the first time.
I was reading her book, and when I came across this recipe', I think I fell in love.
If it all goes well, it will prove to be a wonderful recipe to make a couple different cheeses from a single batch. Who doesn't love a good cheese, with some wine, and a good bread.

yeild about 1 quart

1 gallon milk of your choice
1/2 rennet tablet ( I found rennet tablets in the milk section of HEB. I never would have found it if I didn't ask for help. I looked at several different stores. Whole foods should have it too.)
2 tbsp water
1/2 c buttermilk

Pour the milk into a large stainless steel container and heat it to 75* - 78* F.
While it heats, mix the rennet tablet and water together, breaking and crushing the rennet well with a spoon. Stir the rennet mixture into the buttermilk, then pour that mixture stirring well, into the warm milk. Be sure that it is stirred carefully through the whole mass of the milk or the cheese will be thicker on the surface than it will be at the bottom of it's clabbering bowl or pot.
Pour the milk into a glass vessel, cover it with cheesecloth to prevent insects from fall ing into the cheese, and let set unrefridgerated until the curd is solid, 12-18 hrs; the most practical way is to prepare the cheese overnight. As soon as the curd pulls away from the sides of the fermenting vesssel, use a large stainless steel knife to square inch cubes through the curd and release the whey.
Line a colander with a fresh length of cheesecloth rinsed in cold water and squeezed almost dry and ladle the curd into the colander placed over another larger bowl if you want to keep the whey or in the sink if you plan to discard it. Ladling rather than pouring is important, resulting in a better texture in the finished cheese. Let the curd drip until the cheese forms a ball of soft-textured protein to it's center.
To obtain a harder cheese, let the just renetted cheese sit for 1 hour over a large bowl of water maintained at 170* F, stirring occasionally. The cheese proteins will "denature" further and harden as the water they contain is squeezed out of them. The cheese you get will not taste as silky but rather slightly chalky on the tongue.
There are many ways to utilize this cheese. First you can salt it as much as you desire, or sweeten it or both. Try it with berries and a puree of raspberries, or a cooked compote of apricots or plums; since it is recently clabbered, it is refreshing and sweet tasting from all the lactose it still contains. If you try to make a cheesecake with it, you will obtain the same peasant-typecake that is made in Alsace and western Germany, slightly dry compared to our American idea of a rich cheesecake, but lighter. The whey can be used to prepare pancakes or crepes.

bwalker42 10-08-2013 12:15 PM

The sweet smelling aroma of cheese as it is aging is really quite nice! I'm aging some in the garage fridge. And when I opened the fridge door, it had the sweetest comforting smell.
I only store drinks in that fridge so no fresh food smells to interfere with the process.

bwalker42 10-11-2013 05:09 PM

gnosh

Gnosh is simply fabulous for children as well as adults.
It's crazy easy too!

All you do is take some cream, about a cup. Or less if you are going to use less, more if you need more.
I use about equal parts cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Put the chocolate chips in a measuring cup, add cream, place in the microwave for 30-40 seconds as applicable... remembering you don't want to heat it too much bu tjust enough to make the cream very warm, not hot or barely hot.
Take out and stir till incorporated together.

Use on various deserts and is especially a favorite on ice cream as it tends to act like a fudge on a hot fudge sunday.
But it seems to me that chefs favor this on extravagant very creative deserts as well.
Try with a pinch of salt to add flavor.

I like to put a little vanilla in it sometimes, or a little cinnamon, or a little salt depending.........