SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   freeze dried foods (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/105171-freeze-dried-foods.html)

newhaul 10-30-2013 01:45 PM

freeze dried foods

Got a deal at wallyworld they mis priced f/d hiking meals got 100 dinners for two people for fifty bucks and they are great just boil water and eat and 10 year shelf life I like fresh but that's the emergency food .

SVAuspicious 10-30-2013 04:03 PM

Re: freeze dried foods

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 1112316)
Got a deal at wallyworld they mis priced f/d hiking meals got 100 dinners for two people for fifty bucks and they are great just boil water and eat and 10 year shelf life I like fresh but that's the emergency food .

In an emergency where does the water come from?

newhaul 10-30-2013 05:08 PM

I have 2 homebuilt solar stills that produce about a half gallon a day each in the summer and rain in the winter

carl762 10-30-2013 08:21 PM

One heckuva deal you got on the food. I need to stock up on dry food.
Cheaper than MRE's which in my humble opinion aren't too bad.

Looking for an excellent water filter, want the best, so I can use Columbia River water, my sailboat's stomping grounds.

gedaggett 10-31-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newhaul (Post 1112316)

From experience stick to the pasta varieties. They seem to do best. Chicken is so-so. CHILI-MAC was made in heaven and sent directly to the store. When hiking in the secluded backwoods of Canada and getting ready to bed down for the night in temps in the high 30's a hot pouch of chili-mac was like an electric blanket for my innards......just saying it was good!

TerryBradley 10-31-2013 01:52 PM

I tried the freeze dried route but found it too expensive and not very good. Bought a dehydrator and makes great meals but a lotta work. So I found that I can get everything I need at the local grocery store. Try the "Completes" by Hormel. Good taste great variety. I just plop them in boiling water for four or five minutes and they come out piping hot. Or you can nuke them in the microwave. As for water; I'm in a boat with a 25 gallon tank if I'm on saltwater. If I'm on a lake like the Great lakes...I carry a bucket.

nkamper 10-31-2013 04:44 PM

I found some quite excellent freeze-dried eggs, called Ova Easy. Good for baking, scrambling, omelettes, whatever you don't need separated eggs for. Bought a package at REI to taste them, then ordered from Pleasant Hill Grains. I tried a sample pack of dried foods from PHG, and did not like a lot of it, I admit. The big find was tomato powder, which can be mixed up to make paste or sauce, and has a much longer shelf life than the canned sauce/paste. Not to mention being more flexible. Did a lot of backpacking and I agree, Chile Mac is definitely the best. Also tried a lot of other not-so-great, but these 2 products were surprisingly good.

newhaul 11-04-2013 07:28 PM

I scored 90 dinners and 30 scrambled egg and bacon for half dollar each otherwise yes way to expensive.

Serafina56 11-06-2013 05:14 AM

It's just me on my islander 26 where can one go for the emergency food I went to Walmart and saw the bucket w alot of food.is this what you all are talking about?how do they taste?

gedaggett 11-06-2013 08:14 AM

Cabellas, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, REI or Food Storage Freeze Dried Food Dehydrated Food Supply