Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: Paella recipes

seems we got competition guys...

you ran a spanish restaurant huh? lets see some stuff! je

how did you make your pulpo a la gallega?

tell me your gazpacho recipe!(on thing I hated about us restaurants was their interpretation of gazpacho...it killed me when they used clamato or some dam zuchini or whatever...

and whats your aioli recipe

he who has the best wins!

the easiest way wins for use on boat

jjejejejejeje

cheers

btw there are a GAZILLION CHORIZOS worldwide guys.....mexican chorizo is not even a chorizo when you consider its not cured in any way and is sausage like...its crumbly and simply put only good for stuff that you would use ground meats in

I hate it...but Ive seen some damn good chorizo soups made from it that cure hangovers like nothing else!

peace
guitarguy56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2014
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

no pulpo, but my x-wife does a good pulpo salad. You know we did not have gazpacho either. It was a Tapas bar, I was general manager(in-charge of all financials, and font of the house) and had battles with the relatively untrained chef. He was good at getting orders out, but was not trained in Spanish cuisine. I opened the restaurant and worked with the owner for about 6 months till it was running smoothly. He went under shortly after I left. We made some good Empanadas though and served them with a really good horseradish marmalade.
Old 01-21-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I like a good amount of vegetables added: peas, roasted peppers, asparagus, green beans, tomato wedges, etc. When the paella is overloaded with meat/fish, it just seems like a fancy hamburger helper (ie rice and protein). Many of the veg can be frozen, canned or jarred, but a bit of fresh makes the dish.
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

this is my "meats" paella or paella de campina...its one of my fave since at the restaurant we are in cofffee growing altitude and its cool.

back then I used smoked meats, cured meats, chicken, fresh prok ribs, and a teeny bit of chorizo

the key is the aromatics...there is rosemary, roasted garlic, thyme among others and the stock is made from hens(gallinas) and other meats

its a very rich and warming paella

now I make them all with roasted red peppers and add garbanzos to it so people get more stuffed! and happy

my best paella however is the simplest, its a chicken paella....and its always the one that leaves the rice the best

why cause you dont oevrtsuff the paella? remeber 2-4 ingredients max per paella and your rice will thank you!

Old 01-21-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

green olives are staples on a lot of paellas...all stuff you can have aboard too
Minnewaska and guitarguy56 like this.

Old 03-24-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

My occasion to cook a paella arrived yesterday, but unfortunately not on board CC Rider, as the weather was cold and rainy and the cabin far too cramped for our party. But cook I did. I wanted to introduce my guests to paella with a mixed meat and sea food one. So, I grilled rabbit, shrimp and calamari and used authentic Spanish dry cured chorizo. Had to use Italian arborio rice as that was the closest variety to Spanish rice. I think it is probably very similar to bomba. I roasted red bell peppers and used green beans, the thin kind. And I used home made chicken stock. Pictures were made but I can't get them out of my iPad and into this post, but take my word for it, it was beautiful and tasted pretty darn good, though there are some improvements I can make with technique. Also, we bought the pan I used in Valencia in 1975, and it has given us many wonderful dishes, including an apple tart 14 inches in diameter, a beautiful thing to see and eat.
Old 03-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

good job man! pics or it didnt happen! jajja

you know the law

Old 03-24-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

About the shrimp...

I think most know cooking shrimp with the shell and head on add the most flavor to the dish, hence steaming shrimp with the head/shell on.

But like many, I don't like to to work to much when eating, and being a chef who cooked for fine dining establishments, having the guest peel their shrimp at the table is not ideal.

I advocate you buy the head on shrimp whenever ever possible, usually Asian markets sells them, most typical grocery stores (at least around here) do not.

Peel the shrimp leaving the head on, then prior to making your dish make a quick shrimp stock to use instead of water or bouillon. You get the shrimp flavor without the hassle of peeling while your eating it. Reason for leaving the head on while you cook is because the fat is in the head and has tremendous flavor. If you cant do the head on, then at least throw the heads in the stock with the shells. The stock will only take 30-45 minutes with a bit of mirepoix, this could be made ahead of time and frozen as well.

Just a couple of thoughts on shrimp anyway

I do not have a recipe for Paella, as I often say here...its not about recipes its about using good technique and learning a method and what the key point of making that dish are. Many of those things have already been mentioned here. The type of pan (to be authentic but a saute pan work just fine), the rice, the stock, saffron, the cooking time and when to add certain items. Otherwise you put in it what you like to eat. Don't like calamari, skip it and add mussels, don't like mussels, add clams, don't like seafood use chicken. Just the other day I used pork and lobster and it turn out great.

Cheers
guitarguy56 likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 03-24-2014

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

adding to the the idea of one pot cooking...Jambalaya and Bouillabaisse are similar in many ways...just say'in

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 03-24-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

I have some guests that always ask for bullabesa...I love seafood soups similar to cazuelas

I like mine with rouille like they french say, basically roasted bread crostinis with aioli on them

for my boullaibaise I do it with a nice amount if fennel...gives it some nice depth of flavor

down here fish soup is called mariscada and its such a popular dish...you make it with fish heads anything else and your kidding yourself if you think you can get the same flavor jejeje

peace

btw paella will never be fine dining as most thinhs traditionally spanish...there is one paella called senorito paella which has everything deshelled and ready to eat but you have to know how to layer it well to prevent overcooking
T37Chef and guitarguy56 like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.