Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Re: Paella recipes

Clams are essential in the dish. Chicken, shrimp (with heads), lots of herbs and every now and then with squid/squid ink. Yum. Short grain rice is also a requirement, don't do it with basimati or other long grain rice. Use a really thick metal skillet - thin sided pans will not work as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

Thought Id post a couple of pics of our last paella we had amongst friends down here since it has been a while...

it was a lobster and seafood paella with aioli! mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

and a close up:

I had just put in the lobster in after 10 min with the burners at max(lobster and clams where cooked off in the oil first a bit to add falvor to the base of the sofrito) after this you turn it down to a simmering heat enough to finish if the last 15 minutes or so...

this recipe had lobster, robalo, clams, squid, and shrimp...I made the stock with a type of catfish used down here for fish soup, lobster heads which I later cut in half and placed in the paella to release more flavor, and aromatics...

it was delicious!

enjoy!
chall03 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-02-2014
new dad!

thought you guys might like a simple AIOLI recipe too:

1 whole room temp egg, preferrably one that hasnt been refrigerated before
2 cloves small garlic or one big elephant one(softer taste)
big pinch of kosher or sea salt
half a squeeze of lime
a dash of olive oil and half a cup of veggie oil(canola works great)

Break the whole egg into a hand blender cup, make sure the yolk doesnt break chop the garlic into the egg close to the yolk, add other ingredients slowly with the lime juice over the yolk as well as the salt(this helps emulsify quickly)

put hand blender right over yolk and garlic it must cover the whole yolk...

start it up...after it has emulsified a bit slowly raise the blender a couple of times, have extra oil ready to add to the mix so you can make a bit more

after it has gotten thick stop, dont go more as it will get bitter

if needed thin down with another splash of lime juice, adjust salt and if needed a splash of water...

this is the base for any aioli pretty much and is the standard for fish, aioli potatoes, aioli for seafood paellas etc...

I also use this base to add to a nice fish stew or spanish bouillabase...!

mmmm!

cheers

Old 05-02-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I'm not that great of a cook but looking over this thread, it looks like I might give some of this a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
Clams are essential in the dish. Chicken, shrimp (with heads), lots of herbs and every now and then with squid/squid ink. Yum. Short grain rice is also a requirement, don't do it with basimati or other long grain rice. Use a really thick metal skillet - thin sided pans will not work as well.
Thanks for the info on the rice. I've been using basmati for a while and like it but I guess I'd have to find a different kind.

Everything on this thread looks so good. It's still morning and I'm already getting hungry.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 05-02-2014
new dad!

use pre cooked rice...par boiled short grain if you want to save a few bucks, if not go all out with bomba, calasparra etc...

my advice is get the basics down first then use the real stuff on a really special paella...