Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005

lmonson is on a distinguished road
pressure cooker advice

Do you sailers out there use them and if so which one do you reccomend? Ive been searching for 12 volt models of electric cookers but am open to suggestions. Thanks,
Laurel
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2005

GordMay is on a distinguished road
pressure cooker advice

Yes, cruisers love Pressure Cookers.
I''ve never seen a 12V cooker - most of us use "conventional" stove-top types.

Most pressure cookers are sold by the size of their total liquid capacity even though their actual usable capacity is one half to two thirds of their liquid capacity, depending upon the food being cooked.
4-quart: A good size for singles or couples; or for making a side dish.
6-quart: The most popular size for many families with more than 3 persons.
7-8 quart: Popular for large families, or bigger foods like whole chickens, ribs, turkey breasts.

Many different companies manufacture pressure cookers. The Magefesa was rated number one, by several cooking magazines several years ago. Ruhn Kuhn, the Cadillac of pressure cookers, is another outstanding cooker. A good quality stainless steel pressure cooker you purchase today should be expected to provide many years of service, maybe 25 years or more. Pressure cookers are a long term investment and therefore it is important to select a well-known brand from a company with a long established history.

These guidelines should be considered when making your selection:
1. Choose a brand from a company that has been in business for a number of years and has a stable track record, avoid the newest ''fads'' and heavily advertised products that try to sell you products with fancy names and high price tags for pressure cookers you could purchase from a well known companies and get ''more bang for your buck''.
2. Learn how to take good care of your pressure cooker. Read and follow the manufacturer''s directions for operating it properly and safely.
3. Pressure cookers can last a generation, but you will have to periodically replace a few rubber parts. You need to be confident that the brand you purchase today will be from a company that will be in business for years to come in order to assure a supply of the proper parts.
4. Parts are not interchangeable from one brand to another, so don''t select a "brand X" model, or rush out to buy the lastest fad simply on the spur of the moment.
5. Buy a brand handled by a reputable retailer, whether it is an online store or a local merchant. For maximum convenience, you may want to select a local retailer that also stocks the replacement parts you will eventually need.

Goto: Miss Vickie’s “Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery”
http://missvickie.com/index.html
With hundreds of pressure cooking recipes and instructions, this website is just for pressure cooker enthusiasts.

Including:
Beginners’ Workshop: http://missvickie.com/workshop/schoolframe.html
Quick Cooking School: http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/lessonframe.html
Recipes: http://missvickie.com/recipes/recipeframe.html
Pressure Cooker Timing Charts (and more):
http://missvickie.com/howto/times/howtomeat.html

... and much, much more. This is a great website, full of excellent information!

Happy Pressure Cooking,
Gord May
Old 02-10-2006

msl is on a distinguished road
pressure cooker advice

The Ruhn Kuhn 5 quart is easy to use and (available at Amazon.com) is perfect for size when cooking for two people.
Old 02-25-2006

atemplet is on a distinguished road
Most Definately get into pressure cooking!
If I only had one pot it would be a 6 liter(quart) Pressure Cooker
It will cut your galley time and stove fuel consumption by 90%.
Great advice from gord, you may want to check out the FAGOR 4&6 liter set , if space is limited they nest and can be had for under $50 on e-bay
Also, check out Janet Groene (sp?) "Cooking Under Pressure"
Best,
ap
sv Pelican, Morgan-Scheel 46 #077
Old 06-30-2006

swhall is on a distinguished road
We have the Duromatic 4 quart and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It saves so much time that during the summer if we cant use the pressure cooker, we wont cook that meal. It helps keep the heat down inside that boat since it is so fast.

Steve
Old 07-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Fagor makes a nice set that is a four-quart, eight-quart, double boiler, steamer, all in one... about $95 for the set, cheaper if you get it at Bed, Bath & Beyond with one of the 20% off coupons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-01-2006

infonote is on a distinguished road
This site seems good

http://missvickie.com/workshop/schoolframe.html
Old 07-01-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I'd vote against an electric 12v pressure cooker, even if you could find such a beast. The electrical draw on it would be tremendous. Many of the AC-powered pressure cookers are rated at several hundred watts. I don't know about your boat, but I seriously doubt it has the electrical capacity to handle such a load for long. It is far more efficient to use a non-electric pressure cooker, with propane—at least from an energy usage point of view.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-03-2006
Hughes 38 Mark II

lgherb is on a distinguished road
I have an 8 quart model of Fagor's "Pressure Magic" pressure fryer. I don't think Fagor markets this anymore, but you can find it by doing a google search for "pressure fryer." There is a company called Pro-Selections that markets this and probably others on Amazon, etc. You might also find a used one on eBay.

I have had it since 1997 and it is one of the best kitcen purchases I have ever made. It is triple ply stainless with a copper core. I also thing that by design, this is inherently safer than any pressure cooker on the market. Check out the closing mechanism.

It makes the best pot roast in about an hour, and my 15 minute jambalaya rules! We also use it for preserving.

lgherb

Last edited by lgherb; 07-03-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-04-2006

lexxy is on a distinguished road
Question wonder???

I have a small one and used one on land but I don't seem to be able to find a use for it except oatmeal...and it's too hot now for that. I sure wish I knew what other cruisers cook in them.

We aren't new to cruising. We have lived aboard 2 years and are in the southern Caribbean now. Fish is useless, Chicken gets tasteless or tough, don't need tobake...have an oven. It overcooks vegetables and we don't eat potatos or rice.

I would really appreciate some ideas or I'm gonna donate this thing that takes up space.

We mostly eat from the grill or stirfry or salads. I used it for corned beef, pot roast and cabbage rolls before....or to can foods.