Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for galley help/ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
We use pans with removable handles so that they stack into each other and use less room to stow
I haven't found any pans with removable handles that are sufficiently strong and stable to be worth cooking in. YMMV.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

We've had a Magma nonstick set for nearly 8 years now. Stackable, with removable handles. Great quality, no problem with nonstick. Removable handles mean easy storage. And we cook all the time when on the boat.

Also have a pressure cooker with small grips as opposed to a long handle. Makes for easier storage. Love it.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
sailing terrapin likes this.
Old 05-08-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
We've had a Magma nonstick set for nearly 8 years now. Stackable, with removable handles. Great quality, no problem with nonstick. Removable handles mean easy storage. And we cook all the time when on the boat.

Also have a pressure cooker with small grips as opposed to a long handle. Makes for easier storage. Love it.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
+1 on Mike's recommendation of the Magma non-stick cookware.

For us saving space is a big deal (30 footer). We store the nesting Magma cookware in the oven. We also have a good quality (All-Clad) stainless saute pan.

Having good quality sharp knives makes prep more pleasurable.

As long as you go with quality stuff a lot of it is really personal preference.

Oh, and the paella thread has me thinking I may need to add a paella pan this summer

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-08-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i use exactly what i used to use when i lived on land, only i keep it in a boat. comfort, if living aboard is important. if not comfortable, not happy. not happy , bye bye boatie. soooo... be happy. use what you want to use.
(same with bedding.)
i have cut down on number of pots and pans, but i still use cast iron , 3 items, with lids, and sauce pans, 2, and fry pans, 2. one presto pressure cooker.
i also have a number of bbqs for boat use, and one for dock or deck. i use charcoal, but not briquettes, as i favor mexican mesquite or manzanito.
there are no rules of what is and is not appropriate on a boat in which one resides. there are handed down lies and stories which influence some folks, but those are irrelevant. they were beliefs i , too, maintained, until i started cruising, at which time i learned how dumb they are.....lol.
cardboard is irrelevant, as bugs fly. they have and use wings. read at night, you receive company. you will want to do , not fumigate nor fogging, but intensively spray all surfaces every 6 months with the strongest local insecticide, commercial or industrial strength, as raid dont work in tropics...lol dont bother asking how i know...lol..... you will learn rapidly.
double bag and use twist top gasketed containers for everything...check all plastic bagged items for holes in bag frequently..
keep beeswax in toilet ring seal form as well as board wx. wax is excellent for unsqueaking sliding hatches and making drawers more easy to use and with a smoother action. the toilet seal wax is good for use when your cutlass bearing in questionable and you need to make sure no water comes into boat..stuff the culo del barco with toilet seal wax , which will not hurt the cutlass nor shaft nor shaft log. excellent water stopping tool.
have spare electrical testing equipment. if you use special bulbs in your lights, carry spares x 3.
as problems never coincide with business hours of stores, it is wise to practice up for cruising. stuff always happens when ye dont have anything on hand, and no where to get it.
JimMcGee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-08-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Consider a bum strap to hold you in place while cooking.

Medium size pressure cooker is essential IMHO [ stainless may be better but mine is ali ]. I use mine a lot on passage without the seal as there is no danger of the lid coming off. People have died at sea from galley inflicted burns.

At anchor it gets used for soups stews etc and popcorn.

Take a spare seal.

You want to avoid cardboard so decant stuff into tupperware style storage containers. If you buy locally bagged stuff you will get bugs sooner or later. Good tupperware keeps them contained. Measure your storage space accurately and go on a hunt for top quality square or rectangular tall ? stackable containers that best fit available space. If your fridge is a top loader you may want to consider same for stuff like salad. It also makes it easier to find stuff. I am tall so can reach the bottom of my fridge but shorties can not.

I use lots of ziplock bags.

Stainless steel thermos flasks are good if you sail in colder waters but have their uses in warmer climes. Have one with a wide mouth. If going to a pot luck/beach barby/dinghydrift etc they can keep your cocktail of choice cold as well. Mine is a painkiller please.

Measure your oven and buy the biggest baking tray that will fit. Try and find ali if you can. Two bread tins that will fit side by side are good too if you plan to bake.

If you are heading west across the Pacific your last US visit should be to a supermarket. You are going to get serious sticker shock in the islands. Rice / pasta / cous cous / ramen will be reasonably cheap and available but things like tinned chicken/salmon/ham will be at least 2x or more so stock up on things like that and your favourite spices. Mexico will be affordable,, the Marquesas will be extortionate.

Last edited by TQA; 05-08-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Consider a bum strap to hold you in place while cooking.
I get nervous about the idea of being secured to the cooker. Most boats there is a way to wedge yourself in against normal boat motion.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-09-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I get nervous about the idea of being secured to the cooker. Most boats there is a way to wedge yourself in against normal boat motion.
I agree. My current boat allows me to wedge myself in as it a corridor galley. However if I was doing a trade wind passage like the OP plans to do I think I would still fit a bum strap in front of the work surface.

My previous boat did not have a corridor kitchen. The bum strap was fitted to one side of the stove in front of the work surface. It was essential when the trade wind roll started and went on for days. The stove was a Flavel Vanessa on gimbals but stuff came off the top despite having fiddles a couple of times and keeping the bread tins in the oven required gaffer tape as the oven door spring was weak.
Old 05-09-2014
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i sit in dinette seat opposite my stove..is all good. no problems. i have a bum strap, but who uses it.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-10-2014
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I don't like non-stick coatings, but luckily Magma makes their high quality pots in normal stainless as well.

We carry the small Magma set plus a cast iron omelette pan on the boat and that covers all of my needs. My boat is smaller and space is limited. I'm curious about pressure cookers and might get a small one to try, but will need to figure out where to store it.
Old 05-10-2014
navigator

foamy is on a distinguished road

And along the lines of safety: suggest a hot liquid proof apron for use in the galley while cooking. Many bad burns result from the waist down when liquids spill from the galley stove or counter tops. Protect the sensitive areas first, unless you are into feet sex. Especially important in warm climates where you may be cooking with only shorts on....or in the buff. And don't forget the fire blanket, much more effective than the small fire extinguishers often purchased for galley fires.