Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2008

unomio is on a distinguished road
You can purchase Milkman powdered milk (2% milkfat) through REI. If you purchase a carton or more you get a discount. Go through their corporate sales office. In the Pacific Northwest, I found Milkman in Fred Meyer stores and also in some Safeways and QFC stores. In southern California they have only the (icky) non-fast powdered milk.

Milkman tastes very much like 2% regular milk. It is packaged in envelopes that make a quart of milk each. They keep for a considerable length of time; however, the date on the Milkman I purchased was indicated on the carton, not on each individual envelope.

Sue
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2008

Fast cooking beans/growing your own sprouts

Fantastic Foods makes a line of vegetarian products that include pre-cooked beans. The advantage over regular dried beans is twofold: you don't use as much water and you don't have to cook more the beans more than a few minutes. The seasoning is pretty good, too. Check

Fantastic Foods - Vegetarian and Organic Food

I've found some of these in the local supermarkets, and Fantastic markets them online in singles and in bulk.

Keep in mind that if you use canned beans some of the water is already included. It's a trade-off between carrying water or carrying cans. The fuel required is about the same. We carry both, with the cans down low in the boat and the dried beans up higher in overhead cabinets, etc.

They do require some water, but consider growing sprouts for some fresh green stuff. There are good sprouters (jar and tray types) in health food stores and the seeds are not expensive. A single jar of alfalfa/clover seed mix will be about $7.50-$9.00 and will provide enough sprouts for about 200 sandwiches or as garnish for a canned fruit salad, etc. Other sprouts have more protein value (adzuki beans, for example) and once sprouted can be stir-fried with seasonings and even tofu, eggs, or meat.

Sue
Old 06-26-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
For the Hungry Crew...
Pressure Cooker Aztec Rice

* 2 ounces chorizo sausage, removed from casing
* 2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and finely diced
* 1 / 2 small onion, diced
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 cup converted white rice
* 2 cups Chicken Stock or canned broth
* salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:
In uncovered pressure cooker, combine the sausage with peppers, onion and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until onion is softened and the sausage is lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add the rice and stock or broth.

Cover and bring up to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook 7 minutes. Release pressure. Let rice stand, covered for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Serves 4-6.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
A great primer would be here:
Atom Voyages | Recipes and Provisioning for Cruising Sailboats
The guy has been around the globe twice, and his boat of choice is the 28 ft Pearson Triton. The page inclues his inventory of food supplies for 2 people for 12 weeks.
Old 06-27-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by unomio View Post
They do require some water, but consider growing sprouts for some fresh green stuff. There are good sprouters (jar and tray types) in health food stores and the seeds are not expensive. A single jar of alfalfa/clover seed mix will be about $7.50-$9.00 and will provide enough sprouts for about 200 sandwiches or as garnish for a canned fruit salad, etc. Other sprouts have more protein value (adzuki beans, for example) and once sprouted can be stir-fried with seasonings and even tofu, eggs, or meat.
I agree with Sue, sprouts are great! I grow mine in a mason jar. Just get a regular sized (quart ?) mason jar and toss some seeds in it, then soak with water for a little while and dump the water off or use it for something, or just drink it. Then put some kind of a screen of cheese cloth or actual screen or something on the end, you can use a mason jar ring to hold it on, and position the mason jar so that the water will not pool inside the jar. At least once a day or even better multiple times a day put some fresh water into the jar and swish it around with your seeds and pour it off, reposition your jar so the water drips out and doesn't pool. Keep doing that for 2 or 3 days, more or less depending on temperature and type of seed, etc, until you get sprouts big enough to eat. I have sprouted alfalfa seeds, wheat, etc, and they are all delicious and easy to sprout. Seeds taste different and have different textures depending on seed selection, some are even sweet or peppery.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-04-2010

damies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcneuro View Post
Another treat, if you like this sort of healthy eating, is dried squid from an Asian market. They are usually about $1 or less per bag, and again, it lasts a long time,
That is not true.... they don't last long at all mmmmmm yummy

they might store for a long time, once the packet is open they don't last long, they get eaten quite quickly.........

Oh, I suppose that depends who's on board.

Dave.

Dave.

1972 Piver Trimaran 7.60m moored near Victoria Point QLD Australia.

My Daughter (Above) Described the bosuns chair as a big swing and said it was fun
Old 04-26-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Old thread but I will still add something. I think vienna sausages are a good source of canned meat to keep onboard. They are not the healthiest things but there are low fat ones and at least it has some decent source of protein. Plus they won't go bad. I personally recommend armour brand.
Old 05-27-2010

hasuehounds is on a distinguished road
if your taking cans before they rust wash the tops (where you open them) and take clear nail polish and paint the edges, it prevents rust
I was told buy the foods you like. I go to the dollar store, buy canned or dehydrated pototoes. corn beef, spam and mixs for pizza and bisquits..
you want easy cheap and easy to store meals..
good luck on living on your boat
Old 09-10-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I'm going to cook up that pressure cooker rice dish tomorrow. Very simple and looks very tasty.

SD, MRE's aren't that terrible anymore. Should have had the pleasure to try C-Rats, back from the day I was in the Military. MRE's are galaxies beyond that flavor level.
Old 04-07-2012

Re: Food Suggestions

If you take along pasta, rice, flour, mixes containing grains (including corn), or beans, be sure to put them in airtight containers (meaning: not boxes) and to plenty of dried bay leaves in each container. This "old wives' tale" remedy not only has prevented weevils (and other critters) in our dry stores for the past 6 years, but even got rid of some we inadvertently brought aboard in pasta purchased in Mexico.