SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Food Suggestions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/16534-food-suggestions.html)

bkohatl 05-25-2006 07:13 PM

Food Suggestions

I am buying a 26 foot sailboat, which should be delivered sometime next week and I need advice for good food, that is light(I'm already taking 50 cans of spaghetti, clam chowder, etc.) and I need to know about food which doesn't require refrigeration.
Any suggestions?

sailingdog 05-25-2006 10:17 PM

Pasta, rice, beans, and grains are all light weight and store for very long periods of time, provided they are kept dry. They do require water to prepare generally. Beans can provide a decent source of protein that is not dependent on refrigeration.

You don't say what kind of trip you are stocking the food for. Is it a long bluewater passage, or a long coastal cruise? The two trips would require very different supplies, as on a coastal trip you have the option of stopping for supplies, water, fuel and other necessities. This is generally not an option on a long bluewater passage.

A few other questions that might help.

Do you have a full galley on the sailboat?

What fuel does the stove use?

Does the boat have a watermaker?

How much potable water tankage does the boat have?

How long is the passage estimated to be?

How many crew are going to be on the passage?

I would also highly recommend that you take a large bottle of multivitamin supplements along, and take one every day of the trip to prevent any nutrient deficiency based diseases... like scurvy. :D

jared 05-30-2006 06:58 PM

Canned spaghetti...Good Lord! Ugh. I know, no water or cooking required but still, it isn't so hard to make the real thing and you've got so much more variety in what you can do with it.

Beware that cans can quickly rust on a boat, and labels fall off and clog the bilge pump. Using a magic marker to label the cans on the end is a good idea (if you can't recognize them other ways) and if you are planning to store cans long term, remember to rotate them and check for rust, or else dip them in wax to protect them. (Plain white canning wax.)

Check out the articles here and on other sailing web sites, you'll find plenty of advice on specifics.

administrator 05-31-2006 05:37 AM

I highly suggest that you read this article. It is the currently featured professionally written article on the SailNet Home Page:
http://www.sailnet.com/collections/a...dey0001&tfr=fp

Hawkwind 06-04-2006 03:08 PM

The first time I went backpacking, we made the mistake of taking a lot of canned goods. The problem is that the empty cans are still pretty heavy. By the time we got out of the woods, we were carrying over 10 lbs of trash. Might not seem like much but I usually try to keep my pack around 40 lbs or 50 lbs, which means 20% to 25% of the load was garbage. There were 5 of us making garbage and the 3 guys rotated who had to carry it. Halfway along, we tried to bribe a DNR cop into taking it out on his boat but he laughingly said he couldn't do that.:D

Even if you plan to toss the empty cans in the water, ( I hope you won't) that's still extra, unnecessary weight.

One thing I learned backpacking to add to the food list. Tortillas! Taste like bread but are easier to carry and don't spoil as easy. Make your favorite sandwich with tortillas. I've had many PB & J sandwiches on tortillas cause the ingredients stay good for quite a while, even without refridgeration.

Omatako 06-08-2006 04:13 AM

If you want to carry fresh eggs, coat them lightly in petroleum jelly (Vaseline?) and store in cardboard-type egg boxes. Invert them weekly to stop the yolk settling and they'll keep in a locker for several weeks even in hot climates. If you're unsure of their freshness check this link for advice http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/matthews53.html
Also, if you have an oven, learn to bake fresh bread, great for the morale and lovely to eat. And keep powdered milk (Nespray), much better than the so-called long life cartons of allegedly fresh milk. I once had a dozen of these turn in one day with widely varying sell-by dates. A few burst and contaminated the entire locker.

jared 06-08-2006 04:12 PM

"And keep powdered milk (Nespray)," In the US, whole powdered milk is almost impossible to find. But Nestle still makes it for the South American market under the brand name "Klim" and if you have a supermarket that carries spanish market products, you can still buy it here this way. Nestle makes a whole range of similar products, some fortified, some higher fat (40+%), very confusing if you don't speak Sudamericano. Priced similar to powdered non-fat dry milk in the US.

sailorjim99 06-20-2006 08:11 AM

G'day.
Here is one I use when I cruise here in OZ. Go get some sprouts, try them out, pick the ones you like then go to a health store, buy some seeds and ask the store how to grow them and look after them.
Takes up no room, easy to do, always have something fresh on board and believe it or not, they are good for you.
(They live in little bottles and make no noise)

Pirate's Booty 06-22-2006 05:47 PM

I lived primarily on Top Ramen for my four years in college - it is cheap, easy to make and very salty - YUM! If you are gourmet, try a brand called Sapporo, they have a better noodle quality. Also, add an egg to the broth, or green onions, or skip the powdered seasoning and just cook the noodles in chicken or beef broth with a dash of soy sauce.

Use your imagination, the varieties are endless!

sailingdog 06-26-2006 08:06 PM

Top Ramen isn't exactly a balanced diet... good way to get scurvy... ;)