Canning Your Food - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Canning Your Food

The wife and I have learned over the past few years, to can our own food. Lately while making our plans, she decided that there were a few things she did not want to be without while sailing out. Butter, bacon, and a few other things.

This video is of how we canned bacon.

Canning - Bacon - Sailing Vessel Footprints
mbianka likes this.

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 06-12-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Canning Your Food

I have read that the canned butter out of New Zealand/Australia is supposed to be really good. I have always wanted to try canning but have never done it.
post #3 of 90 Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter
Crotchety Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I have read that the canned butter out of New Zealand/Australia is supposed to be really good. I have always wanted to try canning but have never done it.
We canned butter, too. Need to do a view about that. The butter came out really good, and should last for months to years. Great way to store things. The bacon came out crumbly, but tasted like bacon. Will probably use it in salads and mixing with eggs.

We've done beans, chili, carrots, tomatoes, chicken, pea soup, and probably some other things I've forgotten.

Capt'n Tom Living Aboard 50/50

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1976 41' Morgan Out Island Sloop. Refitting and redoing her interior for an extended voyage.

post #4 of 90 Old 06-12-2015

I have friends that can. The New Zealand butter is supposed to be better than fresh US butter. I have not found any locally though.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 90 Old 06-12-2015

There's plenty bacon from San Pedro all the way until just before Indonesia. No need to can it really. But it will be nice to have the canned 'out there '.

Cannot bacon be cured and stored unrefrigerated for months? Maybe some smoked or cured ham cuts could be taken instead...prosciutto?

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #6 of 90 Old 06-14-2015

Yes, bacon is usually cured, both sugar and salt cured, then smoked and will last for many, many months. Salt pork was a staple of life for the Union and Confederate armies of the United States during the US Civil War. It was usually carried in a pouch and not refrigerated. It did, however, go rancid after a few months of being transported in a canvas pouch, but this was mainly from contamination as the troops waded through swamps and forded rivers, thereby washing off the salt and allowing various forms of bacteria to infiltrate the meat. So, they just cooked it longer to kill the bugs, then soaked their hardtack biscuits in the grease to make them more palatable.

Many years ago, when I was a young kid in the US Navy, I frequently hitchhiked home along US Route 17 and 301 from Norfolk to Baltimore. Along the way I often saw signs for sugar cured hams and bacon, and those hams and bacon slabs were displayed by hanging them on twine and suspending them from a wooden beam in the stores. One day I decided to buy a slab of bacon and a large ham. The taste was incredible.

All the best,

Gary
mbianka likes this.
post #7 of 90 Old 06-14-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Yes, bacon is usually cured, both sugar and salt cured, then smoked and will last for many, many months. Salt pork was a staple of life for the Union and Confederate armies of the United States during the US Civil War. It was usually carried in a pouch and not refrigerated. It did, however, go rancid after a few months of being transported in a canvas pouch, but this was mainly from contamination as the troops waded through swamps and forded rivers, thereby washing off the salt and allowing various forms of bacteria to infiltrate the meat. So, they just cooked it longer to kill the bugs, then soaked their hardtack biscuits in the grease to make them more palatable.

Many years ago, when I was a young kid in the US Navy, I frequently hitchhiked home along US Route 17 and 301 from Norfolk to Baltimore. Along the way I often saw signs for sugar cured hams and bacon, and those hams and bacon slabs were displayed by hanging them on twine and suspending them from a wooden beam in the stores. One day I decided to buy a slab of bacon and a large ham. The taste was incredible.

All the best,

Gary

Yes, I have had dry cured, and hung hams and they are really good, but I have not seen dry cured bacon in 30 years or so. Not sure if you can buy it anymore. Hams yes, but I imagine they would not do much for your blood pressure.

Welcome to the 21st century.
post #8 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

In the 90's on a small boat without a refrigerator, we canned a variety of foods before setting off for a year of cruising. At that time we chose to can because we didn't like commercial canned goods. Also being a vegetarian, I was concerned about food additives. In the end we found some of our canned foods to be really useful and others not so.

So much is readily available everywhere these days and we rarely use canned foods anyhow. We tend to stock more dry provisions like rice, other grains and lentils.

With so many boats relying on refrigeration today, the art of canning tends to get lost. And there also is the issue of storing the canning jars. If I was to can again another time, I would can local foods that wouldn't be available down the line... like fruit jams, salsas or chutneys. I also think home canned meats would be a thousand times tastier than commercial products.

Robyn
post #9 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

I've never canned, but I do dehydrate all manner of foods for our journeys. I dry all manner of fruits and veggies, plus various types of meat. I built a solar dehydrator now that we're transitioning to full-time cruising.

I'm interested in learning about canning as well. Another thing to add to the education list .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #10 of 90 Old 06-15-2015

I grew up canning with my dad. I'm growing a garden right now specifically to can enough food to last me until next summer. I've got enough tomatoes going to make spaghetti sauce, salsa, whole and crushed canned tomatoes (great for soups), canned green beans, peas, potatoes (if kept in a cool, ventilated place, red potatoes will keep six months without doing anything to them. Yukon Golds last a little less time). I've got squash to can, cucumbers for pickles, tons of peppers to dry, to grind into paprika, chili powder, jalepeno powder (by the way, the best chorizo I've ever had was something I made, using homemade jalepeno powder in place of crushed red pepper. The taste was ten times better!) Also have onions and garlic. I might even get a few more chickens to cut them if I can come up with a decent way to can them. I know you can buy canned chicken in stores just like canned tuna and other fish. I think I'll make some basic soups from chicken and veggie stock and can those too.

On his first voyage, Captain Cook took ten pounds of onions for every man on board, and twice that amount of potatoes I think. Onions are a super food and carry a lot of antioxidants and build the immune system. I'll try to do the same since I eat a lot of onions. I also plan on doing a little gunkholing and devoting several days periodically entirely to gathering food like oysters, mussels, clams, crabs, fish, etc. I think I could steam crabs, oysters, and mussels, put them in a light salt brine, and can them aboard, so long as I bring a pressure cooker with me. I also want to transition my home brew to brewing aboard. Being able to brew a beer that is craft brew quality for $2.50 a six pack is hard to beat. And it's fun and gives you something to do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.