Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road
Re: coconuts

Finishing the day off with a nice cold glass of coconut rum

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road

Living in Florida, we have coconut palms all over the place. I have cut down a lot to drink the water and open them up for tasty treat. This includes green, ripe brown and coconuts that I've found floating in rivers after a good storm. Knock on wood, I've never had a Mr. Poopy Pants issue. I agree with knotaloud, they don't belong on boats.
Old 06-17-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Coconut meat starts with the consistency of mashed potatoes, but super sweet , a great pudding. It gradually hardens as it matures. The water also starts out super sweet. As they are so plentiful that they make a good food source underway. Tongans say pigs dont get so fat, if you dont feed them coconuts.
I had a problem with the skin on my feet getting hard and cracking, while cruising the summers in BC. I sailed to the South pacific and had no problem down there. When I came back to BC, the problem returned. So I sailed south again and again it disappeared, only to reapear when I got back. Then, while sitting in the cockpit with a friend, she looked at my cracked feet and said "You need some coconut oil in your diet."
I started cooking with it, and the problem disappeared. She was looking after a wheelchair and bed bound person who had problems with bed sores. A teaspoon of coconut oil in his cooking, and the problem disappeared, never to return, as long as he keeps taking the coconut oil.
Old 09-10-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook:Amazon:Books Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook:Amazon:Books

Euell Gibbons has a good chapter on coconut: stages of growth, their products, nutritional composition & uses, and lots of unusual recipes. If you look in the exotic/international section of your grocery store, you may find canned coconut water and coconut milk. You want unsweetened/sin azucar. Down here in Florida, the milk is also found in the powdered/canned/condensed milk section; the water is in the soda section. We also can get frozen grated raw coconut.

If you can find coconut milk, try making haupia, a Hawai'ian coconut pudding.

4 cups milk
8 tblsp cornstarch
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar

Mix dry ingredients, add enough milk to make a thin paste, bring remainder of milk to boil, add paste and do not stop stirring for about 5 minutes as it thickens; when it gets to the 'heavy plop' stage (very thick), pour into a bowl or mold & let cool - it will get quite thick - refrigerate for a couple of hours if you like.

You can make coconut butter/oil from the canned milk, too. Conchita brand has the highest ratio of oil to water. Refrigerate the can for a good while - I use a few days to a week - to separate the coconut oil from the water. The less you shake the can, the better your results. When you take the top off the can, you will find a layer of coconut butter floating on top of the coconut water. You can use it as is, or clarify it. Put it in a small pot over *low* heat (barely a simmer) until it stops bubbling (this is evaporating remaining water), strain through a couple of layers of cheesecloth into an airtight container. If you refrigerate it, it will congeal, but melts almost instantly on skin or in cooking.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by manatee; 09-11-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-11-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

In Miami you can buy chilled green coconuts. The vendor will dig one out of the ice, take about three swipes at the top with a machete, stick a straw in it and hand it to you. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Has anyone heard of opening and eating a sprouted coconut?
I saw Survivor Guy do that on television. He pulled a solid white ball of what looked like coconut meat out and started munching on it. I have several sprouted coconuts in my yard now. Maybe this weekend I'll open one and see what's inside.
Old 09-11-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
In Miami you can buy chilled green coconuts. The vendor will dig one out of the ice, take about three swipes at the top with a machete, stick a straw in it and hand it to you. Very refreshing on a hot day.

Has anyone heard of opening and eating a sprouted coconut?
I saw Survivor Guy do that on television. He pulled a solid white ball of what looked like coconut meat out and started munching on it. I have several sprouted coconuts in my yard now. Maybe this weekend I'll open one and see what's inside.
Sometimes the Cuban markets in Broward have the green nuts. After you drink the water, do you eat the 'spoon meat'? It's the jelly-like stuff that becomes the meat as the nut ripens.

Euell Gibbons talks about eating the sprout, either out of hand or sliced in a salad. Tom Neale, in his book, "An Island To One's Self", talks of using the sprouts extensively.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2013

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

when i'm in the Philippines I usually drink a glass of coconut milk every day,its refreshing and supposed to be good for you,the locals climb the tree and attach a plastic bottle to the nut and let it drip [I assume that a hole is made]after a few days the milk becomes fermented and has some alcoholic properties,its called tuba,i've drank it but didn't particularly like the taste,i'm told that the longer its aged the higher the alcohol content,they also make a desert using the soft meat and milk mixed with shaved ice and condensed can milk and various fresh fruit,this is called halo halo,its sold on almost any street by venders
Old 09-11-2013

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

btw its not a good idea to sit in the shade of a coconut tree,when a nut falls it hits the ground with a loud thud even so I've never heard of anyone getting hit but its bound to happen
Old 09-11-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road

"After you drink the water, do you eat the 'spoon meat'? It's the jelly-like stuff that becomes the meat as the nut ripens."

Only if I'm constipated. My rule is to drink the water from green coconuts and eat the meat from brown coconuts.
Old 10-02-2013
Son of Njord

Thermophile is on a distinguished road

I think ive read somewhere that more poeple die each year from falling coconuts than sharks.