Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007

stlcat22 is on a distinguished road
Salt watrer safe cookware?

So after the great response to my last galley question, I have another. I'm pretty sure that in one of the books I have laying around here, it was recomended to avoid aluminum cookware and instead go with stainless. Does anyone know if that carries over to anodized aluminum as well? I was sort of thinking that if it was good enough for the mast is should hold up with less exposure in the cabin.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I will tell you what we have finally invested in: Nesting Coockware... and will never go back. You should look at that if you are limited in space. Here is what we got: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|406|59821|611423&id=323470

I could not find it on sailnet. I will say that west sells it a lot more expensive though.

As far as the type of cookware, on our last boat we used WalMart skillets (teflon coated) and Capalon for the rest. Never had any rusting or any other problems with any of them. The old salt tale that "Everything rusts on a boat" is just not true. Take care of anything and it will stand up well (on the inside). On the outside, well, all bets are off.

- CD
Old 01-18-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Lynn Pardy wrote on this site sometime ago about the nesting cookware. I bought the teflon interior version and wish I had bought an extra frying pan. This is great stuff and she said she had found it on the internet for under $100! Great stuff! However, I have an old aluminium dutch oven that I have cleaned with salt water and no problem, plus cooked with salt water for pasta and had no problem. Plus, I still use a 10 inch cast iron skillet to cook and with the same care my Grandmother used on the same pan, it has never shown a spec of rust.
Old 01-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
TX-

Ditto on the cast iron. I use the same thing and have used it for a long time. And guess what... it was my grandmothers too!
Old 01-18-2007
Not quite Senior Member

Waymar83 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Waymar83
cookware

Given space on board, nesting cookware is essential. I've heard however that aluminum cookware is unhealthy in the longrun and has been associated with Alzheimers(sp?). Stainless or cast iron is my choice.

Here is another option to consider: small capacities from the world of camping:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1169155837410

Mark
Old 01-18-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
The association of aluminium cookware and Old-Timers disease seems to be one of those urban myths. It's kind of like the rule that you have to drink 8 glasses of water per day. Martha Stewart did a test about this and concluded that using aluminium cookware with acid content foods and citrus left a taste change in the food due to the chemical reaction that some people might find objectional. That said, there's no reason to use bare aluminium (unless, like me, you already have some) when there's so much stainless with aluminium cores available. The most expensive is those with encapulsated copper cores in both the bottom and sides. See Alclad products, but be prepared to spend a small fortune. I agree with CruisingDad, Find a good set on nesting cookware (all of which have encapulsated aluminum).
Old 01-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

THis is totally off the thread, but it was brought up earlier: they found a common ingredient in Alzheimers patients: Aluminum. Now I agree that it was not the cookware. You want to know what you use daily that has aluminum in it? Any guesses anyone?

- CD

PS I am not putting out a scientific article. Just read this somewhere then never heard another single thing about it which made me suddenly curious.
Old 01-18-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Underam Deoderant. All of them, I believe.

Interesting, huh? Ok, I don't want any docs or scientists beating me up over this... I cannot even remember where I read the article. But I am sure you could find the info on the web.
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
Martha Stewart did a test about this and concluded that using aluminium cookware with acid content foods and citrus left a taste change in the food due to the chemical reaction that some people might find objectional.
But the side effect can be Jail time.....

Or the urge to bake a pie, clean the house, roast a chicken, cure an infected nail and make 3 babies all in 25 minutes....
Old 01-18-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Underam Deoderant. All of them, I believe.

CD...URGENT....you've got to change boat....boat denial is causing you some problems.....