SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   16 days (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/35811-16-days.html)

tagster 08-06-2007 03:27 PM

16 days

Trying to provision my vessel for 16 days. Planning on bringing the following:

1 lb coffee
1 lb ground beef
2 lbs beef steak
1 lb bacon
1 lb ground seasoned sausage

1 package of hot dogs

1/2 of a sockeye filet'd and packed for shipping
1/2 large slab of halibut packed for shipping (luckily there is a that-morning-fresh fish place right next to my boat which will pack them for me the same day I leave)

3 loafs of bread
3 gallons of milk
10 1 gallon jugs of drinking water (I have 150 gallons tanked)
a few pounds of fruit, depending on what is in good shape
a few pounds of vegetables, depending on what is fresh.

10 lbs of potatoes, 5 lbs of rice

I'll also be bringing several cans of spam and canned corned beef, canned vegitables (corn, green beans, etc), some tomato soup and other things, a pound or so of pasta, several cans of chunk chicken and chunk light tuna.

A large bottle of multivitamins. A bunch of glass bottled beer and coca-cola. A carton of cigarettes.

Am I missing anything?

Freesail99 08-06-2007 03:41 PM

You eat well ! You may need spices. I assume you have refrigeration. Speaking solely from someone who has faced cancer and a major heart attack, leave the carton of cigarettes at home.
Fair winds,

sailingdog 08-06-2007 03:50 PM

It might be wiser to make up a menu of meals for say a week's time and then look at the ingredients needed for it as a basis of what you would for the 16 days.

Also, noticed that you don't have any snacks or munchies... cookies, crackers, chips are all IMHO necessities for long afternoon-watches.

Some Iced Tea mix would help break up the monotony of just water and milk to drink.

I would up the bottled water to at least 20 gallons, since that gives you a bit more than the recommended 1 gallon of water per day even if your main tanks are comprimised or contaminated as recommended in some of the longer races. Also, pasta, rice, and some canned soups require some water to prepare.

Don't really recommend the alcohol or cigarettes, as even small amounts of alcohol can drastically compromise your night vision and cigarettes are not only bad for your health, but a big cause of fires on boats... and fire is one of the things you should be most wary of.

ReverendMike 08-06-2007 03:53 PM

More coffee
Packets of drink mix
Canned beer
Hard liquor (Scotch, preferably)

When do we leave?

Sapperwhite 08-06-2007 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReverendMike (Post 175955)
Canned beer

Way easier to stow crushed cans than a bunch of bottles, I do prefer bottles while relaxing on dirt, but afloat cans are best.

capttb 08-06-2007 04:32 PM

More coffee, I like stuff I can just grab and eat when conditions dictate or just too lazy for much food prep. Yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit cups, DONUTS, etc. Also, have you tried the milk that comes in a box & doesn't require refer ? not bad, usually in the dried/ canned milk section of grocery.
Also, those salad in a bag things last well in an icebox, pour a bed of salad, some fish & cottage cheese on top, the sailor's one bowl balanced meal, and much better than Burgoo.

sailingdog 08-06-2007 04:42 PM

Sapperwhite-

Out past the three-mile limit, glass bottles are very easy to dispose of... :) They sink.

Cruisingdad 08-06-2007 05:15 PM

You can replace the gallon mile with powdered milk. We make out daily menus (then highly deviate from them). Some days I am starving, others it is all a waste.

If you know how to fish, chances are you will get something. Where are you heading to?

- CD

sailingdog 08-06-2007 05:27 PM

The daily menus are a good idea as a planning guide...but having to actually stick to the menus would suck. ;)

USCGRET1990 08-06-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tagster (Post 175937)
Trying to provision my vessel for 16 days. Planning on bringing the following:

1 lb coffee
1 lb ground beef
2 lbs beef steak
1 lb bacon
1 lb ground seasoned sausage

1 package of hot dogs

1/2 of a sockeye filet'd and packed for shipping
1/2 large slab of halibut packed for shipping (luckily there is a that-morning-fresh fish place right next to my boat which will pack them for me the same day I leave)

3 loafs of bread
3 gallons of milk
10 1 gallon jugs of drinking water (I have 150 gallons tanked)
a few pounds of fruit, depending on what is in good shape
a few pounds of vegetables, depending on what is fresh.

10 lbs of potatoes, 5 lbs of rice

I'll also be bringing several cans of spam and canned corned beef, canned vegitables (corn, green beans, etc), some tomato soup and other things, a pound or so of pasta, several cans of chunk chicken and chunk light tuna.

A large bottle of multivitamins. A bunch of glass bottled beer and coca-cola. A carton of cigarettes.

Am I missing anything?

:confused: Eggs?:o