Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007

tagster is on a distinguished road
16 days

Trying to provision my vessel for 16 days. Planning on bringing the following:

1 lb coffee
1 lb ground beef
2 lbs beef steak
1 lb bacon
1 lb ground seasoned sausage

1 package of hot dogs

1/2 of a sockeye filet'd and packed for shipping
1/2 large slab of halibut packed for shipping (luckily there is a that-morning-fresh fish place right next to my boat which will pack them for me the same day I leave)

3 loafs of bread
3 gallons of milk
10 1 gallon jugs of drinking water (I have 150 gallons tanked)
a few pounds of fruit, depending on what is in good shape
a few pounds of vegetables, depending on what is fresh.

10 lbs of potatoes, 5 lbs of rice

I'll also be bringing several cans of spam and canned corned beef, canned vegitables (corn, green beans, etc), some tomato soup and other things, a pound or so of pasta, several cans of chunk chicken and chunk light tuna.

A large bottle of multivitamins. A bunch of glass bottled beer and coca-cola. A carton of cigarettes.

Am I missing anything?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
You eat well ! You may need spices. I assume you have refrigeration. Speaking solely from someone who has faced cancer and a major heart attack, leave the carton of cigarettes at home.
Fair winds,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It might be wiser to make up a menu of meals for say a week's time and then look at the ingredients needed for it as a basis of what you would for the 16 days.

Also, noticed that you don't have any snacks or munchies... cookies, crackers, chips are all IMHO necessities for long afternoon-watches.

Some Iced Tea mix would help break up the monotony of just water and milk to drink.

I would up the bottled water to at least 20 gallons, since that gives you a bit more than the recommended 1 gallon of water per day even if your main tanks are comprimised or contaminated as recommended in some of the longer races. Also, pasta, rice, and some canned soups require some water to prepare.

Don't really recommend the alcohol or cigarettes, as even small amounts of alcohol can drastically compromise your night vision and cigarettes are not only bad for your health, but a big cause of fires on boats... and fire is one of the things you should be most wary of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-06-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
More coffee
Packets of drink mix
Canned beer
Hard liquor (Scotch, preferably)

When do we leave?

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 08-06-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
Canned beer
Way easier to stow crushed cans than a bunch of bottles, I do prefer bottles while relaxing on dirt, but afloat cans are best.
Old 08-06-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
More coffee, I like stuff I can just grab and eat when conditions dictate or just too lazy for much food prep. Yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit cups, DONUTS, etc. Also, have you tried the milk that comes in a box & doesn't require refer ? not bad, usually in the dried/ canned milk section of grocery.
Also, those salad in a bag things last well in an icebox, pour a bed of salad, some fish & cottage cheese on top, the sailor's one bowl balanced meal, and much better than Burgoo.

Last edited by capttb; 08-06-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sapperwhite-

Out past the three-mile limit, glass bottles are very easy to dispose of... They sink.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-06-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You can replace the gallon mile with powdered milk. We make out daily menus (then highly deviate from them). Some days I am starving, others it is all a waste.

If you know how to fish, chances are you will get something. Where are you heading to?

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-06-2007
Telstar 28

The daily menus are a good idea as a planning guide...but having to actually stick to the menus would suck.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-06-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagster View Post
Trying to provision my vessel for 16 days. Planning on bringing the following:

1 lb coffee
1 lb ground beef
2 lbs beef steak
1 lb bacon
1 lb ground seasoned sausage

1 package of hot dogs

1/2 of a sockeye filet'd and packed for shipping
1/2 large slab of halibut packed for shipping (luckily there is a that-morning-fresh fish place right next to my boat which will pack them for me the same day I leave)

3 loafs of bread
3 gallons of milk
10 1 gallon jugs of drinking water (I have 150 gallons tanked)
a few pounds of fruit, depending on what is in good shape
a few pounds of vegetables, depending on what is fresh.

10 lbs of potatoes, 5 lbs of rice

I'll also be bringing several cans of spam and canned corned beef, canned vegitables (corn, green beans, etc), some tomato soup and other things, a pound or so of pasta, several cans of chunk chicken and chunk light tuna.

A large bottle of multivitamins. A bunch of glass bottled beer and coca-cola. A carton of cigarettes.

Am I missing anything?
Eggs?