Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Bottles will break down...eventually...into sand. Aluminum cans will take longer.

Whiskey and rum in bottles, beer in cans and wine in Tetrapaks is the most efficient way to go. You just have to find a decent canned beer. The benefit of cans on long trips is that you can squish them flat and use them as backing plates!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2007

rewell6 is on a distinguished road
After the first few does it really matter?
Old 08-23-2007

Culinary411 is on a distinguished road
Cans take up less space, pack nicer in the cooler, and chill faster. When I provision for a booze cruise I try to get on as much booze as I can carry and pack away comfortably; about 5 cases of beer and a bottle or two of the major liquors and mixers plus a mixed case of wines. I hate carrying cases of beer and liquor on a hot summer day to the boat. Provision once and it lasts a month or so. Ice is bad enough. I also agree with T37Chef too, you want to enjoy good beer...disregard the first part of what I just said.
Old 08-23-2007

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
I used to convince myself that cans were the way to go for the above stated practical reasons (weight, compactness of cans v. bottles for storage and fear of breaking glass).

But we as sailors know that practicality does not rule the day. Why else would we take 5 hours to sail to a destination you can get to in an hour by power boat.

I got frustated with the selection of beers available in cans and even if you find a decent beer in a can its just not the same. I ended up going back to bottles. I've never had one break on board and will likely not go back to cans unless I take a very long voyage where I will not be able to provision and dispose of garbage along the way.
Old 08-23-2007
Vikingsailor

c40eb is on a distinguished road
Some things go beyond convenience...and the taste of beer is one of them. Beer, regardless of one's individual taste, is best in a glass...poured out of either a can or bottle.
Old 08-23-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm not going to hold my breath until Laphroig and various cognacs come out in cans, either.

Question - Does throwing glass bottles overboard constitute littering or diversifying wildlife habitats? Does sinking aluminum cans cause damage to the ocean's flora and fauna?
Sad as it may seem, my parents grew up on the southern Chesapeake Bay, and thay told me that, back then, it was common practice to sink your bottles and cans in the water, be they soda or beer.
Old 08-23-2007

CalypsoP35 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by c40eb View Post
Some things go beyond convenience...and the taste of beer is one of them. Beer, regardless of one's individual taste, is best in a glass...poured out of either a can or bottle.
I agree with the pouring into a glass, but it still makes a difference if it comes out a can or glass. Even with coatings in today's cans, beer out of a can is not as good as beer out of a bottle. That is why many brewers refuse to market their beers in cans.
Old 08-23-2007
Vikingsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalypsoP35 View Post
I agree with the pouring into a glass, but it still makes a difference if it comes out a can or glass. Even with coatings in today's cans, beer out of a can is not as good as beer out of a bottle. That is why many brewers refuse to market their beers in cans.
Yeah, that is part of it. As an ex-professional brewer, the primary reason most breweries don't can is the cost of the equipment. Bottling is difficult and expensive enough. Adding the extra expense, space requirements and skills needed to can beer is prohibitive for most micro-breweries.
Old 08-23-2007
Vikingsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c40eb View Post
Yeah, that is part of it. As an ex-professional brewer, the primary reason most breweries don't can is the cost of the equipment. Bottling is difficult and expensive enough. Adding the extra expense, space requirements and skills needed to can beer is prohibitive for most micro-breweries.
The best solution is a mini-draft system! I have a 2.5 gallon keg system. Keg fits nicely in a cooler, tapped to the side, charged with a small CO2 cartridge. Heavy (at least at first, until the ice melts and the beer is gone), but worth it. No empties to worry about. But...do have to brew the beer. Not exactly practical for a cruising sailor.

So...back to the original question. If you're drinking to drink...cans. If you're drinking for taste...bottle.
Old 08-23-2007

AlpineSailor is on a distinguished road
c40, You are the MAN ! Draft beer, on the boat, at the tip of a finger. Sometimes there is just nothing better then overkill.