SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Beer, Cans or Bottles (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/36260-beer-cans-bottles.html)

Brezzin 08-22-2007 05:01 PM

Beer, Cans or Bottles

This past weekend we had just finished the Mason Island race and had just tied up at the marina. The skipper tossed me a can of beer. I like beer. I like bottled beer. I don't like beer in cans. I asked the skipper why cans. I've known him 20 years and were good friends I know he doesn't like beer in cans. I ask Why cans? His answer was it was just proper to have cans on a boat. My response was BS. It's proper to drink what you like on a boat. The usually stuff came out about glass breaks, Storage etc.

What do you have on your boats? Cans or bottles and why? Given a choice would it be bottles or cans?

joeybkcmo 08-22-2007 05:04 PM

I try to stick with cans for beer and soda, and box for wine. I know, box wine, but I don't have to worry about broken glass on the boat.

NOLAsailing 08-22-2007 05:22 PM

Cans - particularly as I mostly race my boat. Every now and then someone will show up with bottles, which we would normally drink before or after the race.

The primary reason is breakage.

PBzeer 08-22-2007 05:33 PM

If getting rid of trash isn't a problem, then use which you prefer. But if you have to wait to get rid of trash, cans are easier, take up less space, and don't break.

jackytdunaway 08-22-2007 07:08 PM

Corona doesn't come in cans so i am stuck with bottles. i wish it came in cans.

punjabi 08-22-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackytdunaway (Post 183153)
Corona doesn't come in cans so i am stuck with bottles. i wish it came in cans.

Sure it does: Here

T37Chef 08-22-2007 08:00 PM

depends on the beer, Coors light in a can, who gives crap, but a good German beer...gota go with bottles...period:D

Zanshin 08-22-2007 08:06 PM

I'm not going to hold my breath until Laphroig and various cognacs come out in cans, either.

Question - Does throwing glass bottles overboard constitute littering or diversifying wildlife habitats? Does sinking aluminum cans cause damage to the ocean's flora and fauna?

BlueWaterMD 08-22-2007 08:22 PM

Given the choice, I would generally choose a bottle. On a boat however, it is cans all the way. Cans don't break, and I prefer my deck to not be covered in tiny broken pieces of glass!

As for coronas, despite the lure of their commercials (palm trees, secluded beaches, pretty girls), I firmly believe real men should NOT drink beer with fruit in it. But that's just my opinion!

Freesail99 08-22-2007 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluewatergmac (Post 183181)
Given the choice, I would generally choose a bottle. On a boat however, it is cans all the way. Cans don't break, and I prefer my deck to not be covered in tiny broken pieces of glass!

As for coronas, despite the lure of their commercials (palm trees, secluded beaches, pretty girls), I firmly believe real men should NOT drink beer with fruit in it. But that's just my opinion!

Up until 2 weeks ago I would have agreed with you. 2 weeks ago it was 98 and that corona with a lime, sure when down easy.