Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Ensure

Ensure or similar products would be an ideal asset to have onboard. It's a meal supplement one 235 ml. = one full meal. 250 calories & all the good things from a to z. Also Heinz V8 juice, 90 calories and = to 3 servings of vegetables per individual size can. Both good 4 when u can't prepare a meal & both should be in your abandon ship bag.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm.. have you ever tasted Ensure... most flavors taste like crap. MREs are probably a better idea...and still taste like crap. BTW, the average person requires about 2000 calories per day... how is Ensure a full meal if it only has 250 calories???

IMHO, some of the fully-cooked canned foods would probably be a better bet, since they have enough calories to handle the needs of a working sailor. If you're out in bad weather, then you're probably burning more than your base number of calories...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2007

byrondv is on a distinguished road
Going with pure liquids foods doesn't seem like the best option. And if your only reasoning is that it is a "full meal" and doesn't require preparation... there are much better options.

I would be much more interested in hydration in general then the number of calories I am getting in my abandon ship bag. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have enough calories saved up tubby rear to get by for a few days.

Remember 2-3 quarts of water per person, per day is recommended. Not only are these products not going to give you that much, but I would be concerned that they could increase the need for other liquids. Emergency rations that are USCG approved are designed not to increase thirst. And just because they are, in fact, liquid doesn't mean they are meant to be chugged down in 2-3 quart quantities per day.
Old 09-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
V8 is a good example of a liquid you shouldn't drink too much of... look at the sodium level in the label... two or three servings is the max for most people's sodium ration.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
The caloric content is too low, although there is nothing inherently wrong with them per se. The MRE's, or Meals Rejected by Ethiopians, are a much better suggestion. In all actuality, if you're contemplating a situation of high physical stress you'd probably do no better than a can of baked beans. There's a tremendous amount of energy in them and they "stick to your ribs".
Old 09-08-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Genuine military MRE's (not the freeze dried commercial deals) are between 1200 calories and 2000 calories per meal. They are compact, you can eat them cold (no water wasted on the heater pack), and some actually taste OK (the pound cakes are highly prized when you're in the field for long stretches). The only bad thing about them is the large amount of plastic waste involved with each meal.

Pedialyte is really good for recovering electrolytes from being seasick for long (puking all the time) and having bad diarrhea (eating bad whatever on a long trip). It doesn't taste the best, but it also doesn't have all the sugar that sports drinks have.

I'd have to say that 250 calories is very minimal. You wouldn't be able to keep up strenuous activity for very long on that.

Last edited by Sapperwhite; 09-08-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2007
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
I used to drink ensure, but it was used as a heavy snack b/c I didn't have time for dinner some nights between work and school. They served their purpose, and if you must drink them, make sure they're cold.