Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're buying canned goods in a foreign port, I would highly recommend that you buy a single can before purchasing a case. Many times, the formulation/recipe of the items, even from a known brand, are very different from country to country. Best to make sure that the food you're purchasing is actually food you'll eat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Unless you're going to spend considerable time offshore, I wouldn't worry about buying in that much quanity. Especially if coastal cruising. I plan my resupply stops around ports with a Super Walmart that is nearby. Generally, I need stuff about every 2 weeks, such as bread, eggs, fresh meat and fruit. As well as restock the distilled water (for human use), beer and other drinkables.

An even better reason not to have cardboard onboard is having to get rid of it (though you could burn it in the grill), and the amount of extra space it uses.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-08-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
John,
I know it's used for topping off battery banks, but purely out of my curiousity, in what "human" usage is the distilled water intended?
Old 11-08-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I use it for tea and cooking. It stains the cups far less than other water, and the tea gives it the flavor. Also, I'm leery of my water tanks being fit for potable water, so I use that water for cleaning and bathing. And by buying gallon jugs, I have a handy porta potty for standup functions.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-08-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
For the same leery of tankage water quality reasons, we always buy a few gallons of spring water to keep onboard, for cooking, tea/coffee. Good info re: tea stains however - will keep that in mind.
Old 11-08-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
Thanks for the tips.
As if you couldn't guess, Walmart was consistently the least expensive. Walmart's "great value" brand was especially inexpensive, it was 10-35% less expensive than the off brands at the other stores, but even comparing popular brands like "Del Monte" they were still less expensive by a margin.
Beware of "value brands" and the like. Many times these products are inferior in quality. You get what you pay for. I am by no means an experienced sailor but I would think that if you are going to be out at sea for an extended period of time, you would want quality nutrition.

Andy
Old 11-08-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Thank you for all of your thoughts on this topic, they are appreciated.

SD, That is a good tip to check the food before you buy it. I had to give away a case of soup from Costco one time because I didn't like it, and also about half of a box of mixed kinds of oatmeal because I didn't like the flavors that were left. Like you said, it's not a bargain if you don't eat it.

PBzeer, I don't think that having too much food on board will be a problem for me. I am only interested in stocking up on things that I know I will eat. It is like that old food storage saying, "Eat what you store, store what you eat". For me a good example would be, say, cans of green beans. I'm always going to eat cans of green beans, I like green beans, and I could get a few cases of green beans and know that they will get eaten because I've always eaten them.

Rockter, I will check into it!

s/vitineris, yes I love dried beans, and rice too. I cook a lot of that.

Valiente, good tip about taking the labels off. I think the Pardeys mentioned something like that too in one of their books. It might have been Mrs. Pardey's cruising food book I read it in.

Andyman, thanks for the tip. I don't necessarily agree with you that bargain brand food isn't as good as brand name. That is true in some cases where the mixture of flavors is foreign, for example you might not want to get bargain cola if you have always just drank coca cola, because the taste is going to be different than what you are used to and it won't be "the same thing". That's true too of things like oatmeal where you get used to the mix of flavors that quaker oats uses. But a green bean is a green bean is a green bean, and it's hard to go wrong with a can of green beans. If it weren't for heavy advertising and name recognition it would be hard for the name brands to stay in business when they are charging 25+% more for the same thing, and it is the same thing, processed the same way, and in some cases even made by the same company. For canned beans and things they are relying on that old American mysticism that if there are two things on the shelf and one of them is more expensive then it must be better, or, in reverse logic, "you get what you pay for".

Please support my
Old 11-08-2007

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
One more idea - Dave & I pressure can our meat. There is an initial equipment investment for the canner & jars, and the time and effort that goes into the canning. That being said, we watch for good deals on cheaper cuts of meat, often taking advantage of the buy one get one free deals on big roasts. Or scout the "used meat" dept. as I call it. It's actually the meat that has reached it's sell by date or close to it. Then we swing by and pick up a bottle of wine and head home for a canning party.
The advantages are that we enjoy economical cuts that are made fork tender by the pressure canning, split into one meal portions that have less fat and no sodium as we just pack the jars with meat and water. That way we can season the meat for whatever we're making. I can make a killer beef stroganoff in less time than it takes to cook the noodles, chicken & dumplings in about the same time, or taco, burritos, stir-fry....
Next we're going to try fish. True, you have the issue of storing empty jars, but you made room for them when they were full, right? And they are recyclable!
BTW the process to can green beans is pretty darn easy...

One more point about stocking up is don't forget to date the goods, whether they are store bought or home canned.
Old 11-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Following up on SailorPam... don't forget to rotate your stores... put the freshest stuff in back and use it as you bought it... last in—>>>Last out.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-08-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
But a green bean is a green bean is a green bean, and it's hard to go wrong with a can of green beans.
I dunno....compare the quality of a can of Del Monte green beans to a can of Western Brand. Big difference. Western brand...stringy, wilty beans. It's also interesting to check the nutritional value lables on like foods...big difference, canned or packaged. I do agree that the "bigger" brands do cost more but it's no different than say bread...Wonderbread vs a quality baked bread. Just my friendly opinon.