Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012

Slackwater is on a distinguished road
Add Content
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying Canned Goods

I find the best prices for caned goods, though not a huge choice, is Aldi. They have good quality vegetables in cans, as well as chicken, tuna, and Ham. They also have Stew and some other meat products. I have never asked if they offer case discounts, but it would not hurt to ask. My local store has an excellent choice as well of Mexican/Southwestern caned goods, like chilies, and beans. They also have some convenience foods that are ok as well, like Ramon, seasoning packets (like taco seasoning, Alfredo sauce, and what not for quick meals) and mashed potatoes in small foil packets.

General advice:

Just make sure you get a sample cans before ordering something, as you don't want 60 cans of something you don't like.

All the restaurant supply stores I have been to only sell the larger cans, and mostly number 10 cans.

Ask to speak to a manager and special order so you get the freshest cans, as they do have expiration dates and you don't want him to hand you a 8 year old case that has been in the back.
Old 03-21-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Every large and medium city in the US has a 'food distribution center' - the 'wholesale market' for a city.
Many distribution centers will allow 'individuals' or 'individuals who know someone' or especially individuals who pay 'cash on the barrel head' for commodity/case purchases. Be 'creative & imaginative' and dont look like a 'dopey consumer' when entering, learn quickly of whats going on, etc.
Old 03-23-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackwater View Post
add content
wtf?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 03-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" I have never asked if they offer case discounts"
First time I was provisioning a boat, four of us went into a supermarket in a strange town and I asked at the customer service desk. I said flat out we're provisioning a boat, so many people, so many days, we're going to fill at least two shopping carts can I get a break on the price? We're not from around here, we don't have coupons, we'd just like a break on the big order. And the manager said absolutely, just call him to the register.

Supermarkets have always got something going on, coupons, sales, whatever, and a sharp manager is always willing to do something extra for larger sales.

It never hurts to ask. Like an liquor stores, where you'll almost always get an extra 5-10%, or they'll lose the tax, something significant in you simply say "I'm stocking a bar and will be buying $xxx worth of booze today". Heck, many advertise it up front.

It never hurts to ask.
Old 04-01-2012

helenwiley is on a distinguished road

I can my own. The problem is not veggies and fruit. They are readily available everywhere, and our vegetarian cruising colleagues definitely have an advantage. Carnivores can only stand so much Spam and Dinty Moore beef stew, so I can my own chicken, pork, Italian sausage, and beef. The only drawback is the glass jars. They have to be stored safely. The best way to do this is keep the original packaging to store the processed food on board. I find pints and half pints work best for two people.

Other products I like are the soft pack tuna and chicken. They take up less space, and there is less packaging.

I also noticed that Sam's has bulk pack canned goods. These large boxed packages may be worth investigating.

Sam's Club categoryId=1340121&navAction=jump&iid=Header|All_Products|Emergency%20Foods%20and%20 Supplies

Helen Wiley S/V Cornucopia, Finnsailer 35, 1973, Savannah, GA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.