Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009

svfootloosetoo is on a distinguished road
I just looked at Brinkmans. shipped to Fl. it's almost $9.00 a can buying by the case. At that price it should be good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Nine dollars a can, versus $3 to buy a whole live chicken. Hmmmm.....

Ritual sacrifices on the stern deck at 16:00 hours?
Old 09-13-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I just had the canned trout from Trader Joe's. It is very good, very low sodium, relatively low fat, and $1 per can (3 oz I think).
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-13-2009

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Nine dollars a can, versus $3 to buy a whole live chicken. Hmmmm.....

Ritual sacrifices on the stern deck at 16:00 hours?
wow... 3 bucks for a bird? I can't get one for under 5. and then i would still havrto do the deed and clean the thing.. think in that case i would go for skinless.. easier than plucking... hummm how easy would it be to keep a small coop on deck with a few birds in it. sorta unrefrigerated storage for protein...

The Kirkland chicken is maybe 2.50 bucks a tin... and I think the tin is 12 oz. Cara loves it.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Last edited by sarafinadh; 09-13-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2009
1973 Morgan O/I 33

bjslife is on a distinguished road
Now what about the Gallo dry salame logs, with some box wine, cheese and crackers! Meal fit for a Captain!
Old 01-20-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
This thread deserves to live a while longer.

I'm going to get some of these products you mention. I'm going to avoid the salty Spam, however. Man, we ate tons of that stuff when I was young.

I have a link at home for a place that sells MREs, spreads, drink mixes, etc. Being a avid camper, I ate them exclusively a few times when I wanted to travel light. Very satisfying. I'm almost out. They apparently last for 5 or more years. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm intrigued by hanging a ham or other smoked meat in the boat. I also vacuum pack foodstuffs.
Old 01-20-2010

sarafinadh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslife View Post
Now what about the Gallo dry salame logs, with some box wine, cheese and crackers! Meal fit for a Captain!
We always, but ALWAYS, have a whole salumi on board, as well as an assortment of cheeses that do not require refrigeration either; babybel, string cheese and laughing cow.. Keeps just fine with out refrigeration for months.

As long as Cara doesn't get a hold of it.

Cara is a serious galley surfer!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...

Last edited by sarafinadh; 01-20-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-20-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
sara-
Well, I tried tinned chicken for the first time last week. 2-for-1 sale at the supermarket so I figured if not now, when? Worked out to about $3.79 for two 12-ounce tins, beats the Costco price.

Damnest thing is that now I owe an apology to Jessica Simpson, the stuff really DOES look almost exactly like "Chicken of the Sea" TUNA. Tastes a bit like bland chicken, I suspect it flavored someone's soup before it got tinned.

Not bad, but...like tofu, I don't think I'd ever feel the urge to go out and buy it.

Babybels are nice, but pricey. I've found the larger (8oz?) waxed Gouda and Edam cheeses keep very nicely at a much lower price, of course the flavor is something entirely different.

Carl, you can get MREs online from many places, either "per case" or mixed meals per case. Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter are two places that have been in business a long time with satisfied customers, but I'd rather find things in the supermarket than find highly processed long lists of ingredients that have to be shipped to me.

There are still a number of pre-WW1 cookbooks available, like The New Settlement Cookbook, that were written for new housewives who had just come to the US in the days before refrigerators. They cover all sorts of things from using a coal stove, to butchering meat, and especially how to keep foods SAFE TO EAT. The USDA also has many publications about that.
Old 01-21-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
sara-
Well, I tried tinned chicken for the first time last week. 2-for-1 sale at the supermarket so I figured if not now, when? Worked out to about $3.79 for two 12-ounce tins, beats the Costco price.

Damnest thing is that now I owe an apology to Jessica Simpson, the stuff really DOES look almost exactly like "Chicken of the Sea" TUNA. Tastes a bit like bland chicken, I suspect it flavored someone's soup before it got tinned.

Not bad, but...like tofu, I don't think I'd ever feel the urge to go out and buy it.
It makes a pretty good base for other dishes, like if you are making some curry to go over rice, or as a base for soup or stew. I use a few cans of chicken a week usually. The cans with white and dark chicken meat (instead of just white) are better tasting and also less expensive.

Quote:
Babybels are nice, but pricey. I've found the larger (8oz?) waxed Gouda and Edam cheeses keep very nicely at a much lower price, of course the flavor is something entirely different.
I tried these little Babybels tonight just because Sarafinad had written about them, and they are pretty good. I agree, too expensive though. I am a big fan of parm, tastes great, very useful, not that expensive, and lasts a very long time.

Quote:
Carl, you can get MREs online from many places, either "per case" or mixed meals per case. Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter are two places that have been in business a long time with satisfied customers, but I'd rather find things in the supermarket than find highly processed long lists of ingredients that have to be shipped to me.

There are still a number of pre-WW1 cookbooks available, like The New Settlement Cookbook, that were written for new housewives who had just come to the US in the days before refrigerators. They cover all sorts of things from using a coal stove, to butchering meat, and especially how to keep foods SAFE TO EAT. The USDA also has many publications about that.
Interesting about the old cookbooks, I am going to check into that, thanks hellosailor.

The USDA has become too safety conscious in my opinion, as have the various universities that publish guidelines on canning and the like. For example, you really can't find anyone who would tell you how to make pickled eggs and proclaim them safe to store at room temperature, but that is a traditional dish around where I live and people have been make them and eating them for centuries here in the U.S., mostly without ill effect. The manufacturers put "refrigerate after opening" on everything now, like a previous poster said, but some things like eggs last months without refrigeration. I think its fine that the USDA and the universities are looking out for us, but there has to be some balance between getting sick from food poisoning and dying of starvation, and they've completely discounted the starvation part of it. I guess they figure everyone in the country has refrigeration and money enough to go to the grocery store for their food.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2010
Meat Popsicle

nailbunnySPU is on a distinguished road
beef

I'd give my eyeteeth for nonperishable beef good enough to put in chili, in the Chesapeake area.