Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
[QUOTE]Still...I can't help thinking, a tinned cheeseburger has to be made for the folks who think White Castle (and McBurger) really are hamburgers. That ain't what gets served with my Guinness!/QUOTE]

Insult my ex wife ........ insult my boat but when you insult White Castle well you're going just to far .... ha!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
It isn't canned, but some say that a new kind of crunchy protein wafer called Soylent Green is yummy, and they say the wafers store really well too for long passages.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
The scoops are coming!
I preferred Omega Man.
Old 06-14-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Since I tend to singlehand, and have a small boat, large cans are difficult to store and expensive to open since I don't have consistent refrigeration.

I spent a lot of time sampling brands, trying to find the ones I liked the best (or disliked the least) but settled on a number of brands that I can get almost anywhere (as nice as Costco is, Kirkland isn't anywhere as available as Hormel for example).

My basic provisioning idea is that if I don't eat it at home or have it in the pantry, I don't need it aboard. I carry the following canned meat items:
- tuna (the foil packs are more expensive than the tins and taste the same to me);
- roast beef hash;
- corned beef;
- chunk white chicken;
- sardines (in mustard and tomato sauce);
- ham (usually in the 1 or 2pound cans);
- salmon (treat, so only a few)
- crab (treat, so only a few);
- roast beef (Brinkmans is the only one I've found edible, but it comes in 28oz cans);
- pork (ditto the roast beef);
- beef (ditto the roast beef);
- beef and chicken stews (low salt if I can find it);
- bacon (way too expensive but adds that special touch to a meal, so a treat).

I don't carry SPAM. It could be that we ate a _lot_ of it growing up, that I've never found a good recipe for it, or that there's so much out there that I like more.

I remove the labels, wipe down the top and bottom of the can, and write a code on the top and bottom of the can with a permanent marker (tuna = 2na, roast beef = rb, etc) for cans that have similar shapes. Cans of ham or corned beef are distinctive so I don't label those. Sardine cans are already preprinted. If the cans have interesting recipe suggestions, I'll save one or two and put them in the menu folder for consideration later.

I like Brinkmans but at $100/case including shipping, the cost of a can (~$8.00) can be steep, but the consistent quality and above average taste makes up for the higher than normal price, imo.

Last edited by oceanscapt; 06-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.