Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Florida
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Since I tend to singlehand, and have a small boat, large cans are difficult to store and expensive to open since I don't have consistent refrigeration.
I spent a lot of time sampling brands, trying to find the ones I liked the best (or disliked the least) but settled on a number of brands that I can get almost anywhere (as nice as Costco is, Kirkland isn't anywhere as available as Hormel for example).
My basic provisioning idea is that if I don't eat it at home or have it in the pantry, I don't need it aboard. I carry the following canned meat items:
- tuna (the foil packs are more expensive than the tins and taste the same to me);
- roast beef hash;
- corned beef;
- chunk white chicken;
- sardines (in mustard and tomato sauce);
- ham (usually in the 1 or 2pound cans);
- salmon (treat, so only a few)
- crab (treat, so only a few);
- roast beef (Brinkmans is the only one I've found edible, but it comes in 28oz cans);
- pork (ditto the roast beef);
- beef (ditto the roast beef);
- beef and chicken stews (low salt if I can find it);
- bacon (way too expensive but adds that special touch to a meal, so a treat).
I don't carry SPAM. It could be that we ate a _lot_ of it growing up, that I've never found a good recipe for it, or that there's so much out there that I like more.
I remove the labels, wipe down the top and bottom of the can, and write a code on the top and bottom of the can with a permanent marker (tuna = 2na, roast beef = rb, etc) for cans that have similar shapes. Cans of ham or corned beef are distinctive so I don't label those. Sardine cans are already preprinted. If the cans have interesting recipe suggestions, I'll save one or two and put them in the menu folder for consideration later.
I like Brinkmans but at $100/case including shipping, the cost of a can (~$8.00) can be steep, but the consistent quality and above average taste makes up for the higher than normal price, imo.
Capt. Douglas Abbott
USCG/MCA IV/C.I./M.I. 500-ton Oceans
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by oceanscapt; 06-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.