Canned Meat In The Usa, Whats Good - Page 3 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 124 Old 01-05-2008
Old Gaffer

Another option is precooked bacon, not canned, but vacuum packed in plastic. Although it is usually sold in the refrigerated case, it is shelf stable for many weeks without refrigeration. It is so simple and non-messy to use, you may end up adding it to more recipes, such as salads, toppings and quick sandwiches. Just heat the slices for a few seconds in a frying pan or microwave them. I buy 100-slice packs in a club store like BJ's Wholesale. A little bacon adds a lot of flavor. Precooked is sliced very thin, and you don't need much to get the flavor, so it's not too unhealthy. In the US a very large proportion of foodservice bacon is precooked in high power continuous microwave lines. At least 60% of the raw weight is rendered out in the process.

Hormel, the maker of Spam, and the US leader in the canned meat category, has other very good products, like Dinty Moore beef stew, a line of chile products, roast beef hash and one of my all time favorites, corned beef hash, the very thought of which has gotten me through many long cold night watches.

In the soup category there is a huge array of products from Campbell, Progesso, Healthy Choice and others. There are high standards for manufacturing canned meats in the US, and each of these products has a minimum standard for percentage of meat content.

I have always sailed without refrigeration, making me a leading consumer of products like these. I have also had some involvement in the manufacturing of all these products as a supplier to the meat processing industry.

Never sail closer to the wind in degrees than your age

Last edited by FishSticks; 01-06-2008 at 05:55 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 124 Old 01-05-2008
Oday30!

Talking

on a recent dig in a far off land..... while cataloging the various items in the Pharaoh's tomb deep within the pyramid they found... gold cups, bowls, oil lamps, bracelets. jewels of all kinds, tools, wine containers (with good wine in them!) and way back on an obscure shelf that was almost overlooked.... they found spam! Still in the original can it was opened and found still well preserved...

In an effort to avoid re-writing the history books and records of the ancients... it was fried up that night! Served up with the wine that was also found. A truly satisfying meal that was born out of past!

Later, it was discovered that the key from the spam can was able to unlock the Pharaoh's sarcophagus, upon it's opening they found his arms were crossed in the symbolic pose of the American housewife circa 1950. a frying pan and spatual! Mysteriously The frying pan and spatula disappeared and were replaced with the traditional scepter and onk. For some reason this was never recorded by the researchers! Now, this may be rumor or legend but as they say... there is always "some" truth to any story!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #23 of 124 Old 01-05-2008

You can also buy a ham and hang it in the boat, that doesn't require any refrigeration.

What are you pretending not to know ?

Please support my
post #24 of 124 Old 01-08-2008

I just noticed this thread and perused it. What a trove of great provisioning information! Thanks to Simon for starting the thread, as well as to everyone that contributed.

We don't use a lot of canned meats, but one of my favorite boat foods is tinned sardines (in spring water, served on crackers or baguette with mustard). Our preferred brand is Brunswick.
post #25 of 124 Old 01-11-2008

I am kinda surprised no one mentioned those itsy bitsy Vienna Sausages you can get in those micro cans... personally - it's like eating a can of Chef BoyArdees - if you swig it down with a six pack...

-- Jody

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #26 of 124 Old 01-11-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Ahhhh, nice addition Jody.

Great men always have too much sail up. - Christopher Buckley

Vaya con Dios
post #27 of 124 Old 01-11-2008

You get it

Folklore - you do not need toothpicks... a dirty thumb and clean fore finger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Ahhhh, nice addition Jody.

-- Jody

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #28 of 124 Old 01-12-2008
Telstar 28

WindDancer-

The reason you should use non-iodized salt for salting meat, is that iodized salt will often color things like salted meats Iodine Purple, as a chemical reaction. While it won't hurt the food, it will affect its appearance significantly.

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #29 of 124 Old 01-13-2008

canned chicken. have bought several different brands and they're all good - even the walmart 'house' brand.
post #30 of 124 Old 01-15-2008

Good source of canned food (excellent quality) are European stores in the USA.
They have quite extensive choices. Whenever I can, I will buy can food in polish food stores and deli mainly in Greenpoint, NY ; Garfield, NJ; Jackowo, Chicago and other places (always cheaper then internet orders). Bad part of it is that many are in glass jars, which are heavy and if at storm better, be well secure. However, it is more environmentally safe then anything else as far as dumping it at sea. Dry food (mainly soups) is also available in those stores in large variety. Also, they have real bread (not that soft white staff – I hate it), which you can buy in 15 lbs one, then gently wipe off with the strongest available alcohol (like moonshine) and it will last in the bag for couple of weeks to one month (if to hard just add a few drops of water and let it sit for couple of hours).
The best they sell is dry sausages (many different choices), which will last for weeks without any fridge and hang someplace. Many stores will vacuum it for you if ordered in advance. This will extend freshness of meat.
The same with other food stores (German, Danish, French, and Scandinavian). You will be amazed what you can find in those stores – definitely not only weed of the sea SARDINS. Butter is always the best in cans.
All those products will have much less chemicals (used to prevent go bad) then US supermarkets offers.
At sea the main problem is how the food taste and choices, so we don’t get bored by eating all the time for instance "tuna chicken" and fishing at the same time for fresh fish!!! Those stores offer beef, pork ready to eat so you don’t need to warm it, cook it or waist your water/gas/electric etc.
Perhaps someone will find this info helpful!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.