Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Canned Meat In The Usa, Whats Good

What are the recommendations for tinned meat available in the US, what to buy and what to leave on the shelf.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I just bought the other day a couple of cans of spam. ( $3.25 for 2 cans ) I have never had it, maybe I'll give it a try later this week.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Canned Chicken, Canned Danish Hams, Canned Tuna, Corned Beef, are all pretty good choices. SPAM is also a good choice, but I recommend the low sodium version.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-25-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Spam is the food of choice for me. I eat at least 4 cans(small ones) a week. Spam to me is kinda like shrimp is to Bubba in Forrest Gump, theres many many ways to cook it.

Im just starting to get into the buying canned goods from the online store. About to make an order on butter and cheese soon. Im going to get a sample pack of canned meats from the internet grocer soon.
Old 12-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One word of warning—buy a can or two before stocking up and make sure that you can tolerate/eat/digest whatever it is that you're planning on buying. The main reason I say this is that the same product may have slightly different formulations depending on where you buy it. Campbell's soup here in the US doesn't necessarily taste like Campbell's soup in a different country. Same thing with meats...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-26-2007

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
You might try this outfit, http://www.internet-grocer.net/realmeat.htm

Haven't tried their products myself but have friends who seem to like them.
Old 12-26-2007
Spam, Food of the Seagods

Gryzio is on a distinguished road
Talking Spam!

I do many canned foods.

Did much research in this area and many not want to believe this, but, some canned foods can last for decades (The companies will not even testify to this)!

You will know if it not good when you open it. Especially if it make an uncommon hissing sound when opened.

Also, for smaller proportions, spam (and other stuff), now comes in convenient, single serve packages that not rust.

Canned fruits that have been tested (over 10 years old) may not looked good, but, they were still edible and still had nutrient content.

The main concern would be protecting the can from rust and such. True, I doubt many of us need a can of spam to last 10-20 years before we eat it, but, there is comfort in knowing it be there if you need.

Also, Spam make for a good Stuffing Box fix! Well, maybe not, but, I would give it a try as a last resort!

Last edited by Gryzio; 12-26-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2007

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I prefer Corned Beef, Vitaroz (sp?) or Goya brands since they are all meat, no filler potato's. It makes a quick sandwich (add some miracle whip or mayo.) and some cheese or it goes w/ the eggs in the morning.

Canned chicken isn't bad either.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
Old 12-27-2007

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Check out tuna and chicken in foil it is fresher then canned.
Ive tried ground beef and wasn't impressed but ,each has its own !

The larger package has all the protein a person needs for a day.
I can make two meals w/pasta and vegs and useally have it twice in the day.

I just bought my first live aboard and have climbed rock ,ice, mountains ,back packed all over..wondering what I am I doing here?
sometimes
Keep it simple. light and what tastes good in high elevation.

Try everything ! buy lots of what you find that fits your taste
Old 12-27-2007

capttb is on a distinguished road
There's are lot of meats readily available in foil packaging instead of cans here now. Kinda started with Tuna and now there are many kinds of seafood, tuna steaks, shrimp even Spam. They really pack (and dispose) more compact without rust potential and the stuff I've tried seems pretty good. Thin sliced Spam, fried crisp, on soft white bread with mayo & pickle, now that's COMFORT food.

Last edited by capttb; 12-27-2007 at 11:23 AM.