Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2002

Sunspot Baby is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

We have just acquired a 4 qt. pressure cooker, and the first "one pot" meal we tried was pretty nice. This is my first message on a Sail Net Board, so hope this isn''t too long

Acapulco Chicken
3 thick whole boneless breasts
¼ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons brown sugar (2 if coconut is sweetened)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon grated ginger (I used lots more close to 1 Tbsp.)
1 ½ cups orange juice
1 cup rice
½ cup raisins
½ cup of bitter orange marmalade (I used ½ marmalade and ½ habanero jelly)
½ cup flaked coconut
Salt and pepper to taste (about ½ tsp. Salt, and ¼ tsp. Pepper)…added before cooking

Directions: In saucepan, heat orange juice, raisins and marmalade until marmalade melts. Remove from heat and set aside. Cut up chicken into 1" chunks. Heat olive oil in pressure cooker and add chicken chunks. Lightly brown. [Note: I browned the chicken and it was almost dry in the final dish. Next time, try not browning.] Add the orange juice mixture plus the brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and rice. Close lid, bring to high pressure then lower heat on stove and cook for 10 minutes. [Note: To thoroughly cook the chicken, since the browning step was omitted, and to get the rice a little more done, increase cooking time to 11 minutes]. Remove from heat and release using cold water release method according to manufacturer’s directions. Open, stir, taste and add salt and pepper to taste.

Made this on 11/1/02. Quite good. George suggests next time adding a can of Hatch green chiles, instead of using up valuable habanero jelly. See other notes incorporated in recipe.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2003

sehopkins is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

The most valuable tool I have for good boat meals resides in my kitchen at home--a vacuum packager. They''re available at Costco. I prepare almost all of our dinners in advance of the trip, freeze, and vacuum package. Everything goes into the ice box already frozen, helping the ice box hold over far longer. All cheese and sliced meats are vacuum packaged in meal-serving sizes so the remainder stays sealed and fresh (and DRY) for days. They are also great for boil-in-bag reheating, saving a tremendous amount of time washing pots and pans. You can''t vacuum seal liquids (it gets sucked into the machine), so pour soups and stews into the bags, freeze with the bag open, then vacuum seal. I''ve done an entire pot roast dinner for eight this way and just threw in the potatoes on the boat. Vacuum package coffee, tea bags, matches, clothing, shoes, cookies, batteries, a handheld GPS, anything you want to stay dry and fresh until use. Throw them in the bilge if you like, it won''t matter. Seal packaged frozen vegetables (or freeze your own) and never find them soaked in the bottom of the ice box. Get all your chicken or tuna salad ingredients chopped and mixed, vacuum seal, and all you have to do is add mayo when you''re ready to eat. Make extra servings when preparing your shore meals, vacuum seal the left overs, store in the freezer, and you have an entire selection with no additional work when you''re headed for the boat. The possibilities are endless. It''s the best $150 investment I ever made and has easily paid for itself by eliminating food waste. We eat very well on our boat!
Old 01-16-2003

mollycr is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

You can purchase quality canned meats from:

werlingandsons.com

brinkmanfarms.com

These will last 2 years.
Old 01-26-2003

slynn is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

I use my pressure cooker extensively. Might I suggest the book "Cooking under pressure". In addition to one pot meals, I''ve cooked cheesecakes and even bread. I would not leave home with out that book or the cooker. I have 2 pressure cookers, one I''ve had for over 20 years, the other a small one, picked up at a goodwill store for about 5 bucks that was never used and still in the box!
Old 05-27-2004

oz_hole is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

Check out these Men''s Health books: "A Man, A Can and a Plan" or "A Man, A Can and a Grill". Pretty interesting and healthy recipes using canned goods.
Oz