Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

Let me dive in and simply ask folks about provisioning for their cruising. We generally are out a week (7-9 days) once a month. While we may go ashore, seldom do we re-provision. Fresh meat is usually the fare for the first portion of the trip, with vegies and fruits. Pasta, rices and beans usually start coming out the second half of the trip with the canned goods.

My challenge is finding interesting, tasty meals that are easy to cook, have some shelf life and little refrigeration...and something my whole crew (family of 4) will eat.

While I have some recipes that fit this bill, I''m always looking for some more.

Any favorite recipies?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2002

sailor582002 is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

Don,
This may be a bit involved for most people but have you thought of home canning your own meat in a pressure cooker? I preserve by canning most meat, pork, hamberger, chicken, beef, ham including veggies in a 12 qt. pressure cooker. It''s a bit of work and a bit time consuming, but following the directions that come with the cooker is quite safe. I learned this trick from my mom way back when. All the meat varities can be used in any receipts that call for meat, or just heated up and eaten from the can. Canned products, as you know, require no refrigeration, so you can have "fresh" meat all during your cruise. I''ve been doing this for years, ain''t kilt no body yet from botulism. :^)
Old 05-10-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

I''ve read of cruisers who can their own meats. I''ll admit, though, that I have some trepidations. No about the process, but about my ability to actually carry out the process without wiping out my family. This is probably something I need to get over, or continue to have the meat at the last leg of my trips be things like summer sausage and canned tuna.
Old 05-14-2002

harvh is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

Washington State University has department that many long range sailors order canned meats and other foods from. I have never tried it myself due to my coastal sailing habbits, but I read about it once in awhile in books and articals. You might try the WSU web site and see what you can dig up. Another option is a good back packing book. As a former Scout Master, we used to gin up some pretty good food combining freez dried with canned foods.
Old 05-20-2002

Menu Planning

Don,
It''s really pretty simple. If you buy a pressure cooker, just follow the directions that come with it. Beef can be processed raw, pressure cooked in sterile jars at 11lbs pressure for 90 minutes. Its ready to eat once removed from the can. The "test" for a good seal and food safty is to tap on the can lid with a metal spoon, etc., if it sounds like "tink" it''s good, if it sounds like "thunk" it''s not good. From my experience the cost of a quart of beef is about $5, I seriously doubt you can purchase pre-canned meet at that price. Sometimes you can find a pressure cooker at a good will store for little money, the sealing gasket (rubber) will most likely need replaced and carried by most well stocked groc. stores or household department stores such as K-Mart. Try it, you''ll be impressed with the results. Try searching the web for "canning" there are some websites on it.
Fred
Old 05-21-2002

a_oros is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

Sailor582002 -
Little off task from the original question, but what kind of pressure cooker do you have? I''m reading all sorts of different things that you need a variable pressure, pressure cooker in order to do meats and fruits/veggies. Presently I have one (from e-bay, great price) that is a constant 15 lbs pressure. From the sounds of it, I can''t can fruits or veggies unless I have a 5, 10, 15 lb variable cooker. Does this sound right?
Thanks,
Amy
Old 05-21-2002

sailorman_10 is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

most pressure cookers allow you to vary the pressure by changing the weight on the steam exhaust. Your weight probably has a 15lbs stamped on it. You can get a smaller weight that will be for 5 or 10 lbs.
Old 05-21-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

If your family is not averse to it, corned beef and cabbage is an excellent supper that always fairs wells with people I know, as far as canned meat dinners go. And cabbage can stay good in the fridge or an icebox for 2 weeks or more, so you can serve it at the end, but it is still a hearty meal. (I have saved it til about the end of a storm front while offshore, and has had great reception from the crew, many of whom felt sick during much of the voyage, but who wolfed down my cooking when the water calmed.)

Lately there are meats, steaks and even fish, that are vacuumed packed to insure freshness. You can find these readily in the supermarket, wish they had these a few years ago! Surely a nice grilled swordfish (I saw vacuum packed swordfish in the market just the other day) drenched with citrus (orange doesn''t go bad) with a lovely grape tomato and olive oil and basil and mandarin orange (from a tin) salad would be a lovely dinner.

As for the rice, you can do things to make the rice much more interesting. Instead of opening the tin of chili beans, add a tin of mushrooms, or a bay leaf in the water, or a bunch of basil, or a pinch of saffron. Or use couscous instead of rice. Couscous with curry powder or some tinned oysters is much more interesting than beans and rice. And you are talking to a girl who has eaten many, many meals of beans and rice (during the years as a poor college student) and has come to expand on the concept.

You don''t mention if your other 2 are smaller kids. If they are, give them the cereal they love for breakfast and make the evening an omelet supper on your last night out. Fresh eggs stay well preserved. The most little kids like is cheese and mushrooms. If your''s are akin to it, buy a bell pepper, which also stays good for at least 2 weeks. Or, needless to say, an onion. Have breakfast for supper! And egg in bread (where you cut a hole in bread and drop the egg in, then fry the thing) is a standard kid pleaser.

Anyway, for 10 days out, you should not have a problem, unless your kids are picky eaters. One of the things I had to make from necessity offshore is now one of my son''s favorite dishes- chicken and gravy and mash. I cooked some chicken, added a brown gravy packet mix, mixed some dehydrated mashed potato mix into the pan and put it into the oven for about 20 minutes. It comes out like a chicken and gravy dish with the mashed potatoes already there. It does taste great. Looks like a sad shepherd''s pie, but what the hey.

As someone who has had to cook for at least two weeks on delivery boats, and has had to prepare meals on private vessels, you can always do something that appears fresh and nice and appealing. Believe me, even if all the ingredients come from cans in the cupboard.

Best of luck,
MaryBeth

Old 05-23-2002

Menu Planning

Variable pressure is required and I don''t know of anything that requires 15lbs of pressure. I have a big Presto pressure cooker. Presssure cookers can have either h pressure guage or with the weights that were mentioned at 5-10-15 lbs. Either one requires frequent monitoring of the pressure which can be regulated by the amount of applied heat. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. My cooker will hold 7 quarts and 7 pints all at once IF wide mouth jars are used (they''re just a little shorter). I think I paid about $100 for the cooker. There are some really heavy duty and heavy money cookers available, but the Presto works just fine.
Old 11-07-2002

Alta is on a distinguished road
Menu Planning

http://foodsafety.wsu.edu/factsheet.asp?pid=69

THE ABOVE WAS FOUND AT YOUR SUGGESTED WSU
SITE AND MENTIONS A SOLAR PANEL AS A TOOL FOR
DRYING FOODS.