Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Not sure if I can get Flor de Cana down here(Australia) but will definitely have a look around for it.....

I didn't go near rum for several years, largely due to the fact that Australian rum is umm well an acquired taste. The first time I drank REAL rum it was like my eyes were opened!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2010

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmike84 View Post
Hello all,

This is sort of a follow up to the cans v bottles post. When on the boat what is everyone's favorite way to drink rum?
I haven't found canned rum in the USA, but I picked up several cans of Pirassinunga 51 cachaça on a trip to southern Brazil some years ago.

350 ml or 78-proof Brazilian cane jet fuel - in a can - and the producers call it "a good idea".

I tried to upload a photo using the "Manage Attachments" button, and even though I reduced it to 30kb it failed to upload. Sorry, folks.
Old 09-30-2010

Canned cachaça via Photobucket

Should have tried this first. That is a "Receita Federal" tax stamp on the can.
Old 09-30-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
What's that stuff taste like? Looks dicey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-30-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
We found a new (to use) interesting rum back in August. If you get a chance, try Gosling "Family Reserve". It comes in a Champaign bottle with a black wax seal (the namesake to their "black seal" product) in a wooden box.

It's not as sweet as some of the other ones we tend to like (Pyrat, Ron Zacapo, and Zaya), but it's extremely smooth.
Old 09-30-2010

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Oh man does Flor de Cana bring back memories. Waking up and toasting the sun rise on a balcony Costa Rica with that stuff while the humming birds were buzzing around. That's some good rum.

Hmm, maybe I'll pour myself some Mount Gay and go watch tonights storm from the gazebo...

Oh and Smack if you get halfway through a six pack of those things you won't give a d*mn what they look like.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What's that stuff taste like? Looks dicey.
The stuff in the can tastes like white lightning, but a little sweet. That can is about 1/3 liter, which should be enough for a pretty good buzz at least. It cost me about $1 U.S. in Brazil

Cachaça is made from fermented sugar-cane juice, whereas rum is made from the molasses left over from sugar-refining. For the most part, cachaça is bottled straight from the still and is more like "silver" rum - clear, not aged at all, more of "cane-based neutral spirits" than anything. It can also be aged, or "envelhecida" - Brazilian law says it must be aged for at least one year, in barrels no larger than 700 liters, to earn that title - and sometimes it's colored with caramel.

Pirassinunga 51 is one of the big brands, and what they sell in Brazil often has sugar added ("adoçada", as you can read on the can). That's the cheap stuff, good for a caipirinha but certainly not a sippin' liquor. I think they export a better-quality to the USA; the importer certainly charges a premium price for it, even compared with better rums here. The best I've seen available in the USA is Ypioca Ouro, which is aged cachaça - I've had better cachaça in Brazil, though.

The drink for cachaça is the "caipirinha", which is made of fresh limes, sugar, and cachaça over ice. It's easy and powerful: Cut half a fresh lime into quarters, put them in the bottom of an on-the-rocks glass. Add a heaping teaspoonful of sugar, and muddle the sugar and lime together in the glass. (If you don't have a muddler, the bottom of a Tabasco bottle will do fine.) Fill the glass with ice, then fill the glass with cachaça. Sip through a short straw, which you can also do to mix up the sugar into the drink.

(I was amused to find that the word "caipirinha" is a diminutive of "caipira," which is São Paulo slang for what we might call a "hillbilly" or "country bumpkin". The best translation for "caipirinha" might be "country girl"!)

Here's to Excess -
Rick

Last edited by RickWestlake; 09-30-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2010

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
The Rum wars are on again http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/16/bu...m.html?_r=1&hp

Rum Battle in Caribbean Leaves Tax Hangover
Quiani L. Duncan
The new distillery built for Captain Morgan spiced rum in St. Croix in the Virgin Islands.

By DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI

Published: October 15
Rum and politics have made a fiery mix since America’s earliest days, when a young politician named George Washington won election to the House of Burgesses in colonial Virginia with the help of spiked punch at the polls.

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!
Old 12-02-2010
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road
Someone earlier had echoed my sentiments in regards Señor Zacapa:

Ron Zacapa Centenario
Pampero
Ron Zacapa Solera
Zaya
Black Seal for D&S
Pusser's for mixing & p'killers
Appleton V/X for general purpose

and absinthe, but that's a whole nutha bag o' hammers
Old 12-02-2010

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
One wonders what you have in mind for "general purpose", if you use your next step up Pusser's for "mixing" :-)