SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rum enjoyment

73K views 319 replies 152 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is sort of a follow up to the cans v bottles post. When on the boat what is everyone's favorite way to drink rum? I typically drink mt gay with tonic or gosling's dark and stormy's. I have a few plastic tumblers to avoid breakage but spilling is still an issue. I'll bring beer when fishing, for simplicity but rum is definitely my first choice. What are your thoughts?

#88 ·
Blushing Rastafarian

* 3 / 4 cup splintered ice
* 1 and 1 / 2 oz Myers Original Dark Rum
* 1 large wedge lime
* 4 oz cranberry juice cocktail

Directions:

1. Fill tumbler with ice
2. Pour in rum
3. Add lime wedge after squeezing juice over ice
4. Pour in cranberry juice and stir

#94 ·
That's the million dollar question lol. Rums are all so different you'll hear a lot of different responses. Personally I find the 21 year old el dorado and cruzan barrel to be some of the best rums I've ever had but every rum drinker will tell you something different. I love to drink gosling's and mt gay as well but I think the first two are outstanding.

#90 · (Edited)
Personally I like "Pusser's British Navy Rum" it's as old school as it gets, with Gosling's running a close second. I don't usually mix them, but if it's cold Jagertee or Grog is awesome as is the ale flip (pale ale with sugar, rum, and spices served piping hot)... Simplified jagertee (rum and black tea) is great on ice too. However, more often than not G&Ts are the warm weather beverage of choice on my boat.

#95 ·
We buried an old mate of ours today and at the wake held at his yacht club his grandson passed around his glass with his rum, a Pussers OP. Damn that was nice. They had to wrestle me to the ground to get it back off me.

#96 ·
Fuzzy-

Why am I not surprised... :)
We buried an old mate of ours today and at the wake held at his yacht club his grandson passed around his glass with his rum, a Pussers OP. Damn that was nice. They had to wrestle me to the ground to get it back off me.

#99 · (Edited)
Funny story involving Mt Gay Rum --

Many years ago, the admiral and I along with another couple chartered in the BVI and hired a captain for the first few days. We ran out of rum (Cruzan I believe) faster than I thought we would and were docked on Virgin Gorda. So, we were going to walk to the local store to buy some more rum. The captain said, "You should get some Mt.Gay rum, it is the best" in his very heavy accent. Yours truly heard "You should get some monkey rum, it is the best". So I am in this little store, looking at all the rum and muttering to myself "monkey rum, monkey rum". Of course, I wasn't finding any when all of a sudden I saw Mt. Gay, said "monkey" and fortunately made the connection.

I've been drinking Mt. Gay with coke/lime or Mt Gay over ice ever since.

#266 ·
Funny story involving Mt Gay Rum --

.... muttering to myself "monkey rum, monkey rum". Of course, I wasn't finding any when all of a sudden I saw Mt. Gay, said "monkey" and fortunately made the connection.

I've been drinking Mt. Gay with coke/lime or Mt Gay over ice ever since.
Similar thing happened to us several years ago flying Toronto to Barbados. During the 5.5 hr flight we enjoyed several of those 2-glass wine bottles served by airlines so by the end of the movie I was probably not hearing too well anyway. I stood up and chatted with a black guy in the row ahead. He had a very nice golf shirt that had "Barbados" written in small type. Not liking loud and wordy shirts I asked where I could buy one. Turns out he was with the Bajan consulate in Toronto and they had bought the shirts in Canada for an event. So I then picked his brains about best eateries beaches and rum in Barbados. "Monkey rum" was what I heard and when I questioned it he said "no mon...MOUNT GAYYYYY"

on our second trip there in 2011 we discovered Mt Gay Eclipse Black = 100 proof and the smoothest rum ever. yesterday I finally found it in one of our Toronto liquor stores...not cheap but cheaper than 11 hours on a plane.

I sip it str8...no cola / soft drink pollution

#111 ·
Barbencourt

It used to be like Coors beer...you could only get it from Haiti if you knew an airline pilot. I knew one and got some. It was pricey and tasted like paint thinner. It was also available in downtown Nassau for a couple of bucks less. Maybe Haitians have more refined taste...or burned out taste buds.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Nassau, Bahamas

#105 ·
Painkiller

A painkiller is hard to beat

4 parts pineapple juice
1 part orange juice
1 part coconut cream

as many parts of Pussers as you wish

over ice

dash of nutmeg

Jack

Reactions: BreakAwayFL
#106 ·
From living up in Maine for several years this time of year would be a 50/50 mix of Oakhurst Egg Nog and Captain Morgans...

I keep it simple with Captain and Diet, squeeze of lime. Only thing I sip straight is a good bourbon or scotch.

Here is one I've put together that is very popular with the female passengers - I call it a Juicy Fruit - Cruzan Banana Rum with Gingerale - tastes exactly like a stick of Juicy Fruit gum...

#107 ·
Bicardi light rum and diet coke with lime.

Gosling rum and real Ginger Beer with lime.

(That Goya stuff is awful!!)

Rum is a summer drink.

My summer beer is Yeungling Light Lager or Rolling Rock.

In fall/winter I drink Scotch or Scotch and Drambuie (rusty nail) or Irish whiskey on the rocks.

Winter beer is Siera Nevada Celebration Ale.

#110 ·
Hot Buttered Rum

fell in love with this drink at the Boatyard here in Annapolis (Labatt's wife introduced me to this yummy drink)

Anyone have a good (favorite) recipe for hot buttered rum? Searches on the net have turned up a couple, but none quite perfect, yet :D

#112 ·
fell in love with this drink at the Boatyard here in Annapolis (Labatt's wife introduced me to this yummy drink)

Anyone have a good (favorite) recipe for hot buttered rum? Searches on the net have turned up a couple, but none quite perfect, yet :D
MMR,

I took a look on the net too, all the recipes seem to be very similar. I bet the Boatyard has a secret ingredient. I wonder if they would be willing to give the recipe if you called them.

If not, we could do some serious research in Chicago next month!!!

#117 ·
My gorgeous wife and I are about to tip a few Dark and Stormies with a fine bottle of Mount Gay Extra Old.

And Dick - if Barbencourt tastes like paint thinner - it can't taste like victory. That's gotta be napalm - right Bobbers?

To booze!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.