SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rum enjoyment

73K views 319 replies 152 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is sort of a follow up to the cans v bottles post. When on the boat what is everyone's favorite way to drink rum? I typically drink mt gay with tonic or gosling's dark and stormy's. I have a few plastic tumblers to avoid breakage but spilling is still an issue. I'll bring beer when fishing, for simplicity but rum is definitely my first choice. What are your thoughts?

#8 ·
In order of preference:
Gossling's Dark
Gossling's Dark Reserve
Cruzan Black Strap

All with Coke Zero (offsets the sugar content so a type ii diabetic can get away with it).

I'd rather drink piss than Myers Dark, I just don't like it.

#14 ·
We usually drink one of the Cruzans (Estate is good) often as Mojito's. My wife also makes a variant using mint, lime and a bit of maple syrup harkening back to a time when we ran short of simple syrup. Boy was that a nightmare. She calls them Green Mountain Shearwaters. They are very good. Rum straight is good as long as the rum is as well.

Rum is our traditional sundowner as long as we are anchored at that time. If we are sailing at night, well the rum comes out when we quit. It's a nice custom.

#16 ·
Wow, another rum thread! Over on the WoodenBoat forum there is a great thread on rum. Rum - The WoodenBoat Forum

Generally I drink Meyers, or Appleton's, but right now I have been drinking Cockspur 12 from Barbadoes. It is really really smooth. I usually do rum and coke, but occasionally I mix it with various fruit juices. On rare occasions take it straight.

#18 ·
Currently, my acquiring sailing experience is inversely proportional to my experiences with Rum. Ideally they should both be increasing in parallel but God has decided to put one of them on hold:( ....(so, I have little to add or query most of the the sailing threads but I can genuinly offer something regarding rum). Guyanese drink it and lots of it.

If you really, and I mean really, enjoy rum its gotta be El Dorado 15 yr old straight up. Out of a glass tumbler but a mug will do in an anchorage. I don't do ice but whatever floats your boat.

It beats anything out of Barbados, Jamaica, TT, Haiti, Guatemala, Honduras, Martinique, Cuba and a few others that I've had in the last three years. In the last three years we've had group "taste tests" with about 8 rums and the 15yr old has always been a unanimous choice.

Use anything else for mixing... (for a rum and coke use the El Dorado 5 and put a little lime juice).

#19 ·
Mixing rum with anything, while sacreligious to some, is necessary in order to preserve the ability to taste anything afterwards. I freely admit that straight alcohol of any kind burns the hair off my tongue.

oh man, I shouldn't have mentioned hair.

#20 ·
My rum habits are boring: Mt. Gay and tonic with lime, and Goslings in dark and stormies. I can't take it straight anymore -- the taste buds revolt. Plus, I don't care to be too terribly tipsy on the boat even when anchored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.