Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Herbs for Emergencies

When you just don't have access that you need,
here are some things I keep in my herbal medicine cabinet, and why.

Garlic oil gelcaps
Natures antibiotic. dissolves cholosteral in the blood stream. opens up blood vessels. and reduces blood pressure in hypertensive patients. It contains antibiotics that are effective against bacteria which may be resistant to other antibiotics.
A couple of drops of oil in the ears, heals ear aches and prevents any further infection.
Old 05-04-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
Great thread Bwalker.......

are all Garlic Oil Gelcaps the same? I LOVE garlic and have been under the impression that they are beneficial for years...but would eat it even if it were bad for me........
Old 05-04-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Dang, woman.....you only found that about garlic now???

Why do you think we the garlic lover portuguese are so healthy???

It's the garlic and the wine!!! (G)
Old 05-05-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Dang, woman.....you only found that about garlic now???

Why do you think we the garlic lover portuguese are so healthy???

It's the garlic and the wine!!! (G)
Hmmm, yep, yep...

I'm not even giving all of the full info, the chemical composition as it relates to the positive effects of human health, all of the benificial details...

Basically I'm just getting started and it takes a lot of work to give a full comprensive perspective of each herb so I'm going to just Keep It Simple Sailor.

My new meaning of the word KISS.. NE who

In light of the new information I have concerning transplants I am going to take this thread in a new direction;

I will respond to responses in an individual post to keep the herbs and or their combinations separate.

Hey you know what Buckeye, thank you for your response!
I'm glad you like this thread. It is my opinion that all garlic oil gelcaps are not the same. Quality will vary, as with all products, but some is better than none.
Some prefer the oderless garlic oil gelcaps. I personally have no preference in this area.
Fresh garlic in cooking daily is a good idea, but fresh garlic may not always be accessable and in the event you need it for health issues I would keep the gelcaps, and powdered garlic or minced garlic on hand for cooking.

Garlic is also known as "Russian Pennicillin"

B
Old 05-05-2008
Banned

Since there are so many people with liver problems for whatever reason (and because it seems that livers are not very plentiful to transplant)

Today we are going to talk not only about herbs for the liver, we are going to talk about how to do an Austrian Gall bladder cleanse which cleanes and dissolves gall stones out of the bile ducts in your liver and dissolves gall stones out of your gall bladder.

I recomend you do this once a year, especially making it a spring time cleanse,
clean the house,
clean the body, Spring cleaning.

So first, herbs.

Dandelion Parts used Leaves and root

dandelion benefits the function of the liver. It has the ability to clear obstructions and stimulates the liver to detoxify poisons.

It should be considered a valuable survival food.

It contailns all the nutritive salts that are required for the body to purify the blood.
It promotes a healthy circulation, strengthens weak arteries, cleanses skin blemishes and restores the gastric balance in patients who have suffered from severe vomiting.
A diet of this herb (green) improves the enamel of the teeth.
It is a natural source of protein. It is rich in Vit. A. I is an excellent source of Vit B., C and E. It is rich in potassium, calcium and sodium. It contains some phosphorus, and iron as well as some nickel, cobalt, tin copper and zinc.

it's good for
Anemia
blisters, external
blood pressure, lowers
blood purifier
endurance
gall bladder
liver problems
and more.

Milk Thistle

It's reported that this herb protects the liver. It has been used to treat cirrhosis of the liver, chronic hepatitis, and gall bladder disorders, but helps all liver problems. It has also been reported to lower cholosterol, and aids in digestion.

It is high in Vit b complex, manganese, calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium.

Blood circulation
Blood purifier
digestion - aids
gall bladder
headaches (hangover)
heart - strengthens
hormones - balances
Lactation
Liver ailments
lungs - strengthens

I recommend that you use these two herbs together in a tincture. A tincture is a small bottle with an eye dropper cap. HEB Market has a good selection of tinctures. This one does not contain alchohol.

Last edited by bwalker42; 05-05-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2008
Banned

The Austrian gall bladder cleanse

This cleanse is in the form of a fast.
It is a two day apple juice fast.
Please be advised that you will lose about 5 lbs.
The apple juice needs to be organic, and fresh pressed.
I like to use "Knudsons". I get it by the gallon. It takes a little less than two. It cost's from $6. to $10. per gal depending on where you buy it and if it's on sale or not.

(There is another way to do this by using Epsons salts, but you really need to do a parasite cleanse for about 2 mo's prior, and it doesnt' dissolve the stones, you actually feel them rolling out of your liver and gall bladder because the salts open up your bile ducts. I much prefer the Austrian way.)

Here we go,

It is best to do this planned with a whole lot of relaxation and quiet time.

First day -- no food to be taken

8a.m. 1 - 8 0z glass fresh apple juice.
10 a.m. 1-16 oz glass " " "
12 p.m. " " " " "
2 p.m. " " " " "
4 p.m. " " " " "
6 p.m. " " " " "

Day 2 -- same as the first day

Then at bedtime take 4 oz of olive oil. I recomend that you use 1-2 oz of Organic lemon juice, (I don't know if you have a krogers but they carry it) mixed with it.
make sure the olive oil is extra virgin even if you hold your nose while drinking it. I use a straw.
you can wash it down with hot or warm apple juice.
Retire.
It should start to work in the early morning.

This process actually dissolves the stagnant bile, and liquifies it through the malic acid of the apple juice.
the oil moves the residue.

Day 3

You are prolly going to want to be gentle in your diet this day.
No meats, veg only, maybe some fish, brothy homemade veg soups work best after a cleanse like this. Preference is that the veg's are organic to avoid putting pesticides in your body from other veg's .
Use your favorite veg's ckn broth and or bullion's, barley works good, rice is good too.

Remember you are actually introducing food back into your body this day. So you want to be gentle with yourself no matter how bad you think you want a steak.

The results are Fabulously outstanding!
B

Last edited by bwalker42; 05-05-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2008
Banned

Golden Seal

Next, we're going to talk about Golden Seal, The main part of this one is the root.

Golden Seal Rhizome and Root

Golden Seal has been used to boost slugish glandular systems.
It goes directly into the bloodstream and helps regulate the liver and it's functions.

It has a natural antibiotic abilities to stop infection and kill poisons in the body. It neutralizes toxins in kidneys.

NOT to be used if pregnant.

Golden Seal is used for many illness' Not listed. It is used for all catarrhal conditions either in the nasal area, bronchial tubes, throat, intestines, stomach and bladder. It has the ability to heal mucous membranes anywhere in the body. It ranks high as one of the best general medicinal aids in the herbal kingdom.

When taken with other hherbs, it increases the tonic properties foth whatever ailment is bein gtreated.

If a person has low blood sugar, substitute Myrrh instead of Goldenseal.

Vit. A, C, B-complex, E, F, calcioum, copper, potassium, phosphorus- high, manganese, iron, zinc and sodium.

Antibiotic
Antiseptic
Bleeding - internal
cancer
Colon inflammation
eye infections
herpes simplex, genital
Infection
Liver problems
etc...

B

Old 05-06-2008

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
Emergency Herbs?

You should really preface your post that it is your beliefs that these things work and are not supported by any valid research. Research that might be eligible for publication in a reputable scientific journal.

Garlic as an antibiotic? If we both have an intestinal parasite you can have all the garlic. I will take the Cipro.

A lot of medicines have there roots in plant sources. For you to say it like is a fact, a little misleading.

DW
Old 05-06-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckwheat View Post
You should really preface your post that it is your beliefs that these things work and are not supported by any valid research. Research that might be eligible for publication in a reputable scientific journal.

Garlic as an antibiotic? If we both have an intestinal parasite you can have all the garlic. I will take the Cipro.

A lot of medicines have there roots in plant sources. For you to say it like is a fact, a little misleading.

DW

I studied for 5 yrs.
I'm using
Louise Tenney's today's herbal health for an easy to explain reference.
Another fav is Indian herbology of North America
There are other good books on the subject.

B
Old 05-06-2008

Duckwheat is on a distinguished road
Course of Study and Dubious References..

What did you study? Is there a degree deferred? I had friends who were on the 5 year plan in college. Most majored in Hops and Barleys with out any real education going on.

Nice references, but do not meet the qualifications as a respected scientific journal.

I am not trying to belittle what you are writing, just be honest. It is either your opinion from experience or the authors experience that you are drawing from, nothing more. I ate sardines once and they made me sick. I have never ate them since and advised anyone i care about, don't eat sardines. They will make you sick.

I have read research directed at garlic in scientific journals. It has not been shown to have any impact on lipids as was widely promoted. I still like garlic. If their happens to be some unknown benefit to eating garlic, good for us.

I am not so sure about cleansing the gall bladder either................ I will ask the next patient with cholecystitis if they would like to try the surgeon or the new gallbladder cleansing process I heard about on Sailnet.......

DW
Closed Thread