Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Shack BBQ Sauce

I made a batch of this up yesterday, and it was fantastic. I got it off the Latt and Atts board, posted by Dick Price.

The only revision I would make is to use lots of small bottles of ketchup, so that when you refill them with the sauce to give to friends, you don''t have to try to decide which two friends are ''sauceworthy.'' df

SHACK BBQ Recipe

The famous SHACK barbeque sauce recipe: -BQ, tasty, tangy, and unforgettable.

SHACK barbeque sauce goes well as a marinate, sauce on any meat.

It is somewhat ''hot'', adjustable to suit your taste, but initially, stick to the recipe'', even though it APPEARS to be excessive (pepper for instance). The amounts reflect the size most ingredients come in at the grocery store. As it stands it makes about a gallon or more. I see no reason it would not survive reducing, but I have always used as gifts, and have never attempted cutting it down.

Wet Stuff
Mix in a large bowl:

3 large bottles of ketchup (catsup)
Use the ones in plastic bottles, we will refill after making sauce.

Fill those same bottles with hot water, swoosh around and dump contents into bowl. (or use Grapette - see notes).

Pour in a bottle of plain ole cheap vinegar. "THE" recipe calls for just less than a quart, do not sweat this. use anywhere from a pint to a quart, strangely, this amount has scant effect on final product.

Put "wet stuff'' in a LARGE pan, put heat on "high"by the time it is approaching a boil, you will have "dry stuff'' prepared.

Dry Stuff:
Since you dumped wet stuff out of bowl, why not use for ''dry''?
Into bowl, dump:

1 - 4 ounce can of chili powder
1 - 4 ounce can of black pepper
1 - 4 ounce can of garlic salt (SALT, NOT garlic powder!!!)
1/2 cup - sugar (is the ORIGINAL amount, why not TRY that, and adjust to your very own
taste after ''brewing'' mess up...likewise with Tabasco. See below)
1 - small jar of Tabasco (anywhere from 1 to 4 ounces..start with about 1 oz...you can ''play'' to taste after whole mess is completed.
1 - small jar of mustard (size of an apple, just regular ole smear on a hotdog yeller
mustard)

Stir
...btw, easier to put the mustard in last, and just swirl around till it looks like chocolaty brown tar.

Simmer
Dump all this stuff into pan on stove now approaching a simmer if you have been quick, and if you rinsed out the catsup bottles with HOT water;-) stir enough to make it evenly liquid...bring to a boil and immediately lower heat to a simmer.

30 minutes, (stir fairly often to avoid sticking).. during which the vinegar will bring sweat to your forehead, and tears to your eyes...think ventilation here.

Finish
That is it.
Remove from heat, pour back into bottles you saved, unfortunately, you will have MORE
sauce than those aforementioned bottles will hold. Improvise, all life has dry rot.

You now have a LOT of sauce. I always do, and find it MOST welcome as a gift.

Additional Notes
Do it this way the first time, later, you may substitute Grapette, for the water (seriously)
SHACK DID for several decades.

I add about a cup of sugar to my sauce, but this is heresy, and practice has strong
adherents and detractors.

Likewise minced onions, NOT authentic, but can be pleasant.

Do NOT futz with the amount of black pepper. I KNOW it sounds like a lot. Trust me on this.

Also remember garlic SALT, not garlic powder!! several folks got this wrong, actually the
sauce wasn''t bad, but they were not fit as shipmates for WEEKS.

Do NOT judge ''heat'', as in taste, by sipping off spoon from pot, even if you were stingy withthe Tabasco. Dunk a piece of bread into sauce and sample that way.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Shack BBQ Sauce

Oh, Don,

This sounds great.

I have printed it - tell me - does it go well on shrimp?

Sounds like it will be so good, but, I warn you, I''ll be trying it next week with someone who has an excellent shrimp bbq recipe.

We''ll see!!

Ha,
MaryBeth
Old 06-11-2002

elfexor is on a distinguished road
Shack BBQ Sauce

MaryBeth,

Made up a batch of this over the weekend for a Brisket and Shrimp dinner - received rave reviews and multiple requests for the recipe.

Goes great on the side for shrimp

Francis
Old 06-12-2002

Shack BBQ Sauce

Dear Francis,

Many thanks.

Was considering taking the recipe to a home-brewed beer party next week, and now I surely will.

Thank you,
MaryBeth

And thanks to Don for the recipe.
Old 06-14-2002

DonFoley is on a distinguished road
Shack BBQ Sauce

You''re welcome. I continue to enjoy the BBQ every day with a chunk of bread and have used it on chicken several times. The flavor really milds down after it''s been baking in an oven for an hour or so.
Old 06-15-2002

Shack BBQ Sauce

All,

I sent the recipe to my friend. He cheated. He already mixed a batch up, but added some of his beer to a quarter of the recipe. Says it tastes even better than the original. Will let you all know what happened and if it is actually better when I return next weekend.

Mary
Old 06-21-2002

Shack BBQ Sauce

Had a lovely shrimp dinner. To tell the truth, could not tell if the bit with the added home-brew was better. Both were excellent.

I do know that two days later, with a steak, the original was definitely better.

Thanks so much!

MaryBeth