SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

cooking

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ohioone 
#1 ·
has anyone used a mixture of sea water and fresh water for cooking pasta or rice and to what ratio (rather than use salt to salt the cooking water) , when on a passage?

#2 ·
From "The Care and Feededing of a Sailing Crew" by Lin Pardey...

"...salt water can be used for cooking. One cup of sea water has approximately two rounded teaspoons of salt in it. For bread baking, substitute one cup of salt water for one cup of fresh. Boil eggs in 100 percent salt water, cook rice in one-third salt water, two-thirds fresh. For dried beans, don''t usee any saalt water at all or they''ll stay tough. "

#3 ·
When cooking pasta (or hard boiled eggs, a luxury for the first week or so out) I just dunked the pot into the drink for enough water. If you like the pasta al dente, though, instead of cooked to death, cut it by 1/4. Leftover cooked to death pasta just seems to save better, whether by freezing or refigeration. For rice, I used about 3/4 fresh to about 1/4 sea. More, with rice, is okay (I learned when a crewmate didn''t get it quite right) when combining the rice with items such as beans or meat, provided you don''t used additional salt to flavor. The rice will be stickier, though.

And, I agree, never ever use heavily salted water to initially cook dried beans. They will stay as tough as the day they were picked, but I learned that from growing up in the country, not from sailing. Adding salt or fatback a bit later will add to the flavor, but not toughen the skin.

Fair Winds,
MaryBeth

#5 ·
Bread Making - We''re planning on making an extended cruise of several months. I was wondering if anyone has made bread while under way. If so, did you use a bread machine? If you used a bread machine, which machine did you use? Or, did you make it the "old fashioned" conventional way? What was you experience. Would like to hear from anyone who has experience with either method of making bread.

#6 ·
Bread Making - We''re planning on making an extended cruise of several months. I was wondering if anyone has made bread while under way. If so, did you use a bread machine? If you used a bread machine, which machine did you use? Or, did you make it the "old fashioned" conventional way? What was you experience. Would like to hear from anyone who has experience with either method of making bread.

#7 ·
Wow, did you hit a nerve.
I make my own bread whenever possible. Get yourself some of the newly published paperbacks on "artisan" bread making. I have been messing about for the past three years in the production of honest to goodness french baguettes made on board using a propane oven. My onboard oven is only 12" deep - no matter, I just make 11" long loaves. I''m even in the early stages of making my own sourdough varieties of baguettes (poulish starter). All ya need is a thick ceramic insert for the shelf, some firebricks for the sides - wired in place, a spray bottle of water to spritz and steam, flour, water, salt, an active yeast ( or make your own), a razor knife and paddle. My local (french) french bread bakery states that with about 10 more years of practice I should be making first class loaves - and thats a GREAT compliment. Practice at home, especially to learn to adjust the published recipies; and, go to: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/start/ahome/main.html and take a look of some of their supplies and ''instuctional'' books. Lots of good bread baking sites and discussion groups on the net.

I find that a gimbled stove is GREAT for making bread, the warm temps and high humidity found on most boats helps in the breadmaking process. I gave up on a ''breadmaker'' long ago, but still occasionally use it to mix and knead. A shipboard 12v small commercial mixer would be nice but I''ve never found one.

There are TWO aromas that you NEED on a boat: fresh ground coffee and freshly baking bread !!! There IS life beyond the typical tasteless american mass produced "wonderbread" - all you need is a little patience and a little dedicated practice.

#10 ·
Just reading these posts for first time. I see someone asked about using a pressure cooker on Origo stove. I live aboard and use my pressure cooker on Origo two burner often. It might take a bit more time to get up to pressure but is easy enough to control once pressure is up. I can''t say enough good things about the Origo - easy and safe and I don''t see a lot difference in cooking times. Much better than my first boat which had a pressurized kerosene stove - what a nightmare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.