SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Advice Needed. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/44662-advice-needed.html)

Georgiegirl 07-03-2008 08:07 AM

Advice Needed.

I am looking for a small pressure cooker and want get the best type. The skipper doesnít want anything large and personally I would like one without a saucepan type handle (i.e. that sticks out one side). The skipper wants to be able to punch some holes in the top of a can of curry and heat in the said pressure cooker. (Once I get one on board Iíll do all sorts but currently the large one we have at home isnít allowed on the boat!)

Since lots of people have lots of sailing experience I thought you all might be able to help me.

sailingdog 07-03-2008 01:59 PM

I have and use a Fagor pressure cooker. Kuhn and Rikon also make good ones. I haven't seen one that doesn't have the handle sticking out recently, but my friend had one, so some were made.

TheVeggieQueen 07-03-2008 06:49 PM

Pressure Cooker

Fagor makes one called the Futuro which has 2 short handles and is well designed. It should work for what you want. Likely you are looking for a 4 or 6quart cooker.

I am not a sailor but an expert at pressure cooking.

Good luck on your quest. I hear that many people have cookers to use on their boats which just makes sense, given space and fuel limitations.

Jill

sailingdog 07-03-2008 07:12 PM

Jill-

Just FYI, people also use Pressure Cookers on boats to replace ovens, which not all boats have. Pressure cookers are often used without the gasket as a "safety" pot, since the lids on most pots do not "lock" onto the bottom, and if you're cooking at sea, having a pot of boiling soup fall at your feet can really hurt you if the lid comes off the pot.

TheVeggieQueen 07-03-2008 09:09 PM

Pressure Cooker Beats Pots on Feet

It sounds painful to have a pot fall on your feet, with or without boiling liquid.

I have had students who have bought pressure cookers for their boats so I do know that they come in handy. I am sure that I have much more to learn about sailing than pressure cooking.

On dry land I use my pressure cooker most days and find it to be a wonderful pot but on a boat, I could imagine it being much more multipurpose -- also keeping a small galley cooler than an oven (if you had one).

Jill

SailorMitch 07-04-2008 02:49 PM

Check this out . It's a Fagor with handles on the side. Fagor America : Cookware : Pressure Cookers : Futuro Line : Futuro

TheVeggieQueen 07-04-2008 02:55 PM

Short Handled Pressure Cooker

That link that you posted is the ONE. It works really well and I highly recommend it.

Jill

Plumper 07-04-2008 03:10 PM

Fagor makes a marine version:

Fagor Classic Pressure Cooker Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com

TheVeggieQueen 07-04-2008 03:19 PM

Marine Version Pressure Cooker

What is different about it?

Jill

Plumper 07-04-2008 03:40 PM

Google Fagor marine pressure cookers and they'll tell you all the differences.