Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Sweet Heat

Here in the south it is poor seamanship not to have a good salsa to compliment meals while cruising.

I would love to hear about your recipes for salsas that you make while cruising. Tell us how you serve them as well.

To start things off, here's my favorite:

3 - 4 Medium Sweet Onions
3 - 4 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
3-12 Fresh Jalapeños (To suit your heat tolerance!)
3-12 Fresh Habeneros (Start easy with these but work up the number you use) Optional but you should be bold ! Wear rubber gloves when handling these peppers and DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EYES....You were warned

1 15 oz can of crushed pineapple

1 4-6 oz bag of dried apricots
1 4-6 oz bag of dried/candied mangos
1 4-6 oz bag of dried/candied pineapple
1 4-6 oz bag of dried/candied tropical fruits
2 lemons or limes
Ground Clove
Ground Cinnamon

Dice onions and tomatoes to medium size
Decide how many peppers you plan to use, remove the seeds and finely chop the peppers
Chop all of the fruits to a fine mix and add to the Onions, tomatoes and peppers in a mixing bowl
Add the canned pineapple including the juice
Sprinkle a little ground cinnamon and clove onto the mix (to taste but not too much)
Squeeze the juice of the lemons or limes into the bowl and then gently mix the ingredients together

Cover and put in the refrigerator or ice box to blend flavors for several hours, overnight if you can wait! If you decide to eat right away the peppers will be much hotter....

The juices from the pineapple and lemons or limes will rehydrate the fruit bits, the acids in the juice will moderate the heat from the peppers somewhat and mix will become a great combination of hot and sweet flavors.

This is great served on chips but also goes well when added to your salad bowl and especially on grilled fish or steak. It keeps well and the flavors continue to develop until it's gone.....

Thanks in advance for sharing your favorites.

Regards, John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

US East Coast
1962 40' Auxiliary Cutter
S.S. Crocker - Design # 330
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Not much of a candied fruit guy but I just might have to try this...Thanks
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, you should generally wash your hands before touching any parts of your body after handling habenero or other hot peppers... One of my best friends' husband ended up in the emergency room after making a salsa with habaneros and then going to the bathroom without washing his hands before going... we laugh about it now...but it kind of put a crimp in the day at the time.

If you're sensitive to hot foods, then you should probably wear gloves when handling habaneros. You've been warned... BTW, in terms of full disclosure, I'm a chilihead... Got bottles of stuff like Blair's After Death Sauce in my fridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I too had a friend who didn't wash his hands. He suffered a bit, and howled like a wolf for the moon!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I spent a year on the Texas/Mexico border and really grew to enjoy a very basic salsa:

Diced fresh tomato (be sure to include the juice)
Diced onion (my preference being Vidalia)
Diced fresh pepper (my choice is a mix of poblano and jalapeño - I stay away from the habaneros)
Chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
Splash of lime juice (optional)
Splash of tobacco (usually the green or chipotle)

Amount of each ingredient is usually based on taste and what I have on hand.

My other favorite is roasted salsa. We would sometimes make it over mesquite coals at my friend’s ranch. Ingredients are basically the same, but we would roast the peppers, tomatoes and onion over the fire before chopping up or putting in a blender for the salsa.

And don't forget the guacamole! Just mix/crush the avocado with some onion, tomato, lime juice and salt to taste.
Old 08-20-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Washing your hands helps only partially.
The hot substance does not dissolve in water. It dissolves much better in oil.
So, to remove it this helps:
1. Wash your hands normally (to remove some)
2) Oil your hands (either with edible oil or with a hand cream and rub well
3) Wash again to remove the rest of hot stuff and oil from your hands.
4) repeat if needed.
If you use liquid soup with added oils it can be of some benefit.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 08-20-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
And you want me to eat this stuff....no thanks
Old 08-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
My favorite 'food' is buffalo wings, but if it burns my hands it doesn't go in my mouth, period.
Old 08-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
But guys, the stuff that makes it spicy is good for you and helps the cardiac system...provided it doesn't kill you first. Of course, some of you didn't grow up eating things like my grandma's kimchi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
My favorite 'food' is buffalo wings, but if it burns my hands it doesn't go in my mouth, period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
And you want me to eat this stuff....no thanks

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
I spent a year on the Texas/Mexico border and really grew to enjoy a very basic salsa:

Diced fresh tomato (be sure to include the juice)
Diced onion (my preference being Vidalia)
Diced fresh pepper (my choice is a mix of poblano and jalapeño - I stay away from the habaneros)
Chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
Splash of lime juice (optional)
Splash of tobacco (usually the green or chipotle)

Amount of each ingredient is usually based on taste and what I have on hand.

My other favorite is roasted salsa. We would sometimes make it over mesquite coals at my friend’s ranch. Ingredients are basically the same, but we would roast the peppers, tomatoes and onion over the fire before chopping up or putting in a blender for the salsa.

And don't forget the guacamole! Just mix/crush the avocado with some onion, tomato, lime juice and salt to taste.
Aside from using Cholula hot sauce (from Mexico), that's exactly how I've made my salsa for years - spent quite a few winters in Mexico and became very intimate with local salsas. I don't think they even know what "candied fruit" is. Reminds me of my aunt's holiday fruit cake (Yucko!).

I thought I was the only one who adds minced veggies, grilled over mesquite smoked coals.