Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2003

sadie14 is on a distinguished road
What''''s needed on 1st boat?

I disagree with eryka32 on the cannisters. Plastic bags are easily holed or chewed on by little pests. Putting bags in cannisters (or plastic boxes) keeps the containers clean, the bags airtight and pest free.

Also, I store grains in glass mason jars. I know, don''t use glass is the regular mantra, but well protected, as all items should be, they are completely air tight and totally bug free as well as dry and very long lasting.

But I live aboard and often travel with a need for long term storage in rough conditions. In addition, any food item stored long enough in plastic will absorb a plastic flavor.

I heartily agree on the cardboard issue. Get rid of all cardboard. No exceptions. It harbors pests and gets moldy quickly.

We all live a little differently, so what works for one may not work for another. Try one way and be open to change.

One of my favorite things about living aboard is changing how I do things. It''s also the most annoying thing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2003

DonFoley is on a distinguished road

And here''s another little tip I found out the hard way. If you store your spices open (not in a bag or airtight box) take the little plastic sift/pour thing off the top. Because of the design of these, you won''t get an airtight seal even if you screw it down hard, as there will be the small (but over time, significant) slots from the "pour" tab.

You might think this a minor thing, but all semi-closed containers with a small gap will ''breath'' as the air expands and contracts with the changing of temperature, thus drawing air in. If you use your spices a lot, you may never have a problem. But if you use your cummin infrequently, six months down the road when you''re working up a yogurt chicken, you might find a cumminclump.
Old 02-11-2003

eryka32 is on a distinguished road

Good point on the critters, Sadie14. We''ve never had that particular problem, I suppose it depends on where you sail, what kind of food you store, what kind of critters you are challenged with, and how much storage space your boat has. Figuring out the solution is half the fun!
Old 02-27-2003

welch is on a distinguished road

Thank you everybody for the wonderful hints. Dave
Old 03-04-2003

swred is on a distinguished road

Hi!

My husband and I are off to sail around the Caribbean (windwards and leewards) for a year or so. Would anyone happen to have any hints on grocery shopping on any of the islands? Also, I''m wondering if anyone''s got any fishing advice.
Thanks!
Dawn
Old 03-04-2003

swred is on a distinguished road

Hi!
Congrats on your decision to do such a fun trip! Here''s my FIRST and BEST piece of advice: do NOT use steel mesh colanders, use plastic. Secondly, get your PLASTIC tumblers and "cocktail" glasses from Walmart - they have really "elegant" ones for $.88. Here is another gem of advice - buy plenty of Parmalat milk. They remain good for a super long time, taste just as great as fresh milk, and are easy to store. Also, this may sound cheeseball, but it''s convenient - I take extra condiment packets when I''m in a fast food restaurant - mustard, mayo, ketchup, relish, soy sauce - they totally keep forever, and when you run out of your regular stash, you''ll be super jazzed when you remember you have them. Last piece of advice, pre-cook and freeze anything you possibly can for off-shore. You''ll be glad you did. (If you want recipes, gimme an e-mail.) Happy Sails!
Old 03-04-2003

bob-m is on a distinguished road

Believe it or not, provisioning can be alot of fun. My wife and I always used it as an opportunity to experience the local culture.

- Shop in the local fresh markets. Take your time and ask the vendors for their favorite way of preparing the local produce. We got some very interesting recipes that way. Several times we were invited to the home of the merchant to eat; what a fantastic experience.

-Ask the locals where THEY shop, not "where is the best place to shop". Avoid the stores where the tourists shop (unless you want to spend 25-50% more).

-Except for the larger towns, you will have trouble finding alot of the items you are accustom to cooking with. View this as a positive, learn the local cuisine. (You might want to bring several large bottles of Pepto-Bismol.)

-I will second what swred said: plastic, plastic, plastic!!!

-Fishing: rules vary. Don''t take what you read in the cruising guides as "the gospel". Always double check with the local authorities. This is best done upon arriving when you are clearing.

-One very important item: be careful on currency conversion. Purchasing the local currency at a bank and making your purchases with the local currency is often better, but not always. Ask alot of questions and do your homework in this area.

Have Fun!!!
bob
Old 03-06-2003

johnamross is on a distinguished road

I cannot reccomend the "Ship to Shore" books highly enough. They give you great recipies using locally available supplies and include a directory of places and shops where you can provision easily. When I ran a large charter vessel in the West Indies these books were the Cook''s Bible. If you are on an unlimited budget, there are companies that will supply your provisions direct to any Island from the US by email/fax/phone. Hope that helps, John
Old 06-05-2003

jleuss is on a distinguished road

A cast iron griddle has been essential for us. It browns meat nicely and cooks evenly. It makes very good toast.

Another indispensible pan is a 2 inch high stainless frying pan with a close-fitting lid, used as a stove top casserole. Buy it on sale for about $20.

I would not be without a plastic ''super scraper'' This small tool easily scrapes food off cooking pots, enabling you to clean a messy pot without soaking. It is also useful for scraping gunk off the boat.

Old 06-07-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road

Contrary to the conventional boat-storage advice, the only liquid leaks we experienced (over 10 years) was from Plastic bottles (vinigar & chlorox). Properly secured & padded, with liquor store mesh & towel, good glass storage bottles wont''t chaffe or puncture , like plastic can. The lids are generally more secure /w glass.
OMO
Gord