Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Provisioning
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2004

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
What''''s needed on 1st boat?

As odd as it sounds, we actually funnel things like sugar, flour and rice into plastic PET soft drink bottles. The plastic does not flavour the food, it doesn''t matter if it falls over with the lid off because you will only lose a little through the narrow spout and the seal is incredibly good.
just "pour" the required amount into a measuring cup and no problem.

For other stuff I am a fan of the little vaccuum sealers.
Great for camera batteries and things as well.
(A friend of ours has a set of bolt cutters for freeing the rig in case of dismast vaccuum sealed like this to prevent corrosion)

In terms of pans I go for a heavy based stainless pan with really good teflon lining. I then unscred all the plastic handles and created snap-on/twist-off handles so that the pans are also the baking trays and serving pots (we only have a small table and the handles take up a lot of space).

If I could find a place to teflon coat after-market then I would beat out my own design of frypans and saucepans....

Sasha
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2004

admiral is on a distinguished road

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned what has become my favorite piece of galley equipment - my pressure cooker. Because it cooks faster than traditional methods, it not only saves cooking fuel but also keeps the boat cooler. I never used a pressure cooker while living on land, but once I learned how to use it I would not be without it. Buy a good quality stainless steel piece and order an extra gasket to take with you. We like our Fagor, but there are others just as good.
We also want our boat to be as homey as possible, so we opted for Corelle dinnerware rather than plastic. They are very strong and chip resistant,come in nice designs, and the pieces can be purchased separately (including serving bowls and platters).
Harriet on "Perseverance"
Old 04-04-2004

tauras is on a distinguished road

Harriet: We have found that our pressure cooker is one best pieces of galley equipment we have ever purchased. We also purchased Pucks stanless cookware both are great. Ray and Maggie s/v Just Add Water