SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/)
-   -   Boat wine (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/provisioning/49952-boat-wine.html)

rikhall 12-23-2008 07:58 PM

Boat wine

First off - if you are a wine connoisseur, stop reading right now - just hit the back button.

OK - now my question.

Last summer we were having a happy hour on a new acquaintance's boat, and they had a quite acceptable red wine that they called "boat wine". Like the line from the Blues Brothers movie - they said "the wine list extended to both kinds of wine - red or white." Our hosts said you could only but it by the case and was it very inexpensive (ok - very cheap!)

Anybody have a clue what I might have had on board that warm and lovely summer evening?

Thanks.

scupper42 12-23-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikhall (Post 422134)
First off - if you are a wine connoisseur, stop reading right now - just hit the back button.

OK - now my question.

Last summer we were having a happy hour on a new acquaintance's boat, and they had a quite acceptable red wine that they called "boat wine". Like the line from the Blues Brothers movie - they said "the wine list extended to both kinds of wine - red or white." Our hosts said you could only but it by the case and was it very inexpensive (ok - very cheap!)

Anybody have a clue what I might have had on board that warm and lovely summer evening?

Thanks.

Hmmm. Confession time. If we are going away for a weekend, we'll grab a few bottles of nice wine.

Now the confession. When we go away for a month, I mostly drink wine out of a box. It's not cheap I can't remember the brand name, but it's a yellowy/orange box with a good chardonnay. And there is a red that's not too bad either. Stores better and there are no bottles to dispose of - just a box to knock flat. Plus if you pour a glass, no air gets in the bag - it keeps well. Quite often I pull the bladder and throw in the fridge without the box. So don't get hung up on bottles.

rikhall 12-23-2008 09:21 PM

Yes

Quite common for us to buy a box of red and a box of white. For all of the reasons you mentioned.

But these guys had a quite drinkable red for about $3 a bottle!

bubb2 12-23-2008 09:28 PM

2 buck chuck
Charles Shaw wine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

bubb2 12-23-2008 09:33 PM

If you have kids in college they know all about 2 Buck Chuck. LOL

noreault 12-23-2008 09:37 PM

2 buck chuck

The Cabernet is very drinkable. I don't care as much for the Merlot. The Chardonnay is very drinkable.

WouldaShoulda 12-24-2008 08:36 AM

Like beer in cans, sailors like wine in boxes because they don't break.

(And because it's cheap!!)

N0NJY 12-24-2008 09:39 AM

No idea what that might be. I make my own wine. (Mead)

DwayneSpeer 12-24-2008 02:57 PM

Two Buck Chuck is very unreliable because they don't make any of their own, I believe. They just buy excess wine by the vat load from wineries and bottle it themselves. Now with that said; I've had some that is quite drinkable, especially after a long hot day of sailing!

xort 12-24-2008 03:15 PM

We get plenty of $3 wine from a variety of sources locally. Most is amazingly good for the price.